Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokeyoreo18, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus There Is Such A Thing As Truth

I personally think a more detailed head, with a more prominent crest or some 'ears' sort of like Optimus would help, as would a more distinctive alt mode. Either that or just make New Rodimus finally.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that's one of the reasons I like the Energon design. It's so clearly a Rodimus and not just a bulked up Hotrod. 3P if you could make it with MP level of care I'd be interested...

• Like Like x 4
  3. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I agree, but the question is whether the fandom would be happier with a change in the current Hot Rod or Rodimus Prime design-- if any at all. Personally, I think Rodimus is the one in need of a makeover, as Suboptimal Optimus suggested above. Rodimus P's traditional winnebago alt mode isn't the most desirable IMO, and I for one have never liked trailers that aren't part of the robot (even with Optimus Prime). I like Energon Rodimus, and I like that proposed firetruck design linked by SO earlier. I'd shy to the latter, because the flames work well on a firetruck, as do the colors, and it's a heroic alt mode.

Absolutely. I've been lukewarm at best to any 3P/MP G1 Rodimus so far, but I'd almost definitely buy one in that Energon design.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sold on that particular robot mode as it's got some real PowerMaster Prime/Inferno vibes but I agree a fire truck would be cool. But I would like to keep some of that wedge shape with the whole retro futurism energy. I don't know if this is possible but I want to say if he can turn into a Outrun style fire truck with a sharp lookin front end I'll be down for it.

5. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I really like CW Motormaster. He scales perfectly with the other Stunticons in both modes (a trailer would screw that up - I just threw on RiD Scourge’s trailer and can shove 3 foot/hands in it). And I can’t understand the hate he gets for torso mode.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Suboptimal Optimus

The problem with Rodimus isn't that its bad, the problem is that its basically still his Hot Rod design! Sure there are small differences but they are often so subtle as to look more like different variations of the same character than any substantial upgrade, which it is supposed to be story-wise. The vehicle modes may be different (and I do like the differences) but there is no denying they lack any visual impact to an untrained eye, beyond Rodimus having a trailer. Yes, its thematic of Rodimus being Hot Rod becomes a grown man, blabla, coming of age. Yes I get it thematically but there is no denying that the designs look too damn similar and interchangeable. This is not helped by G1-style Rodimus flat out ignoring the trailer as part of the robot mode and just having the Hot Rod car act as the bulk of the robot mode. This worked very well for the Leader Evolution gimmick in Power of the Primes but saying it worked well for a gimmick done thirty years later is a bit of an underwhelming defense in my opinion.

On the other hand, Hot Rod/Rodimus is iconic enough of a design that changing it wouldn't go down well for some. Its difficult to update the design without making it lose its key identity, as it obviously need to retain the colors, the flames and the Hot Rod-but-older face. Personally I do think a slightly more detailed helmet with 'ears' like Optimus Prime or Primal (if one prefer more blade-like ears to be more distinct) and a more vertical central crest would help. The exposed face, lacking any face plate, is iconic to Rodimus and he doesn't need a face plate despite what some say. Now I do think that this colored yellow head crest which so many attempts at modernizing Hot Rod/Rodimus could be used. Having Rodimus be easier to tell apart with his bigger helmet with yellow stripes.
    [​IMG]
    Just aging the face doesn't work in my opinion, since its a bit inconsistent and not always noticed. Give Rodimus that more elaborate helmet versus Hot Rod sticking to the G1 plainer red round helmet.

Edit: The Rodimus Titanmaster is a good (accidental) example of this, as the Titan Master arms give it some hint of Optimus-esque ears. Imagine this but its not robot arms but just side-wings or ears-crest or whatever you call those. Oh and have Hot Rod lack the silver grill-esque central ridge.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shady boi

Shady boi Insane Bangarang

Ebay:
    Rodimus should look like DX9 carry with the t30 rodimus head.

8. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

It’s funny that you mention Carry because that’s about the only Rodimus figure currently available that interests me. I like the chiseled face, and I like that the trailer becomes part of the robot.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shady boi

Ebay:
    I feel the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

How I handle Rodimus in my headcanon is having him go from G1 Hotrod design wise to IDW Rodimus. Clear differences in design while still absolutely being the same character

11. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Which one ?

12. Suboptimal Optimus

He's not a bad design IMO, its just he is engineering-wise the weakest CW torso.

13. Shady boi

Ebay:
    MTMTE probably

14. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I tried, I failed. Oh well. I still think he'd be cool as a firetruck.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  15. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 RoTB got delayed and I have to wait 4 a yr

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    That actually looks really cool

• Like Like x 4
  16. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only managed to score one PCC set-Bombshock-and I like it. It's a neat concept. I do wish the arms could've been designed with an elbow joint, though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hot head prime

Hot head prime The death trooper who laughs

G1 is overrated and updated toys for other continuities would be great

18. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Since when is this unpopular ?
    Also, by G1 what you mean exactly ?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hot head prime

Hot head prime The death trooper who laughs