Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokeyoreo18, Dec 30, 2019.

1. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Y'know, it would be kind of fun to hear a Furmanism actually spoken in a movie or TV show, rather than just quoting the '86 movie for the millionth time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus There Is Such A Thing As Truth

Furmanism are very much a 'written medium' or comic cliché I'd say given their origin.

• Like Like x 3
  3. agent j 15

agent j 15 My Girlfriend's Husband Fights For Your Freedom

Thank you, glad you agree. And on the note of The Bad Batch (haven’t seen it yet and I’ll explain why later), Star Wars fans are the absolute WORST when it comes to this kind of unhealthy obsession not just with minor nitpicky details, but the franchise and what they THINK it should be rather than what it is. These are the same people that bullied Ahmed Best, a father and husband, so badly he considered suicide, bullied Jake Lloyd, a 10 year old boy, so badly he developed schizophrenia, and bullied George Lucas, the man who CREATED Star Wars, into selling his franchise to soulless corpo trash who have only made two good movies out of the deal and barely pulled off a live action show, and that’s BEFORE the sequel trilogy inspired the fans to take a lesson in just being the absolute fucking worst human-shaped piles of refuse and trash (nobody gives a fuck if you did or didn’t like Rey, Finn, Rose, Rian Johnson etc. those actors and those REAL FUCKING HUMAN BEINGS that were involved did not deserve all the insane bullshit the fans gave them). All because those people played characters they didn’t like or made decisions they disagree with. But rather than move on with their fucking lives like normal people they took their pent up little geek anger and frustration out on the people who give enough of a shit to make their dumb fucking kids movies. The most entitled, spoiled, childish fan base to ever exist. I used to love Star Wars with the same passion as I do Transformers, and those fucking losers have forever ruined it for me because I don’t want to be associated in any way with them and I can’t watch any of the movies without seeing SOMETHING the fans STILL won’t shut the fuck up about (yes the special editions suck Han shot first sarlaac doesn’t have a beak we get it now go get a job). Absolutely fucking sickening, they deserve all 200 of the shitty live action Disney+ shows they’re about to get that will saturate the market and devalue Star Wars as a property.

gaaaah. fuck. okay I’m hopping off my soapbox now. had to get that off my chest.

I don’t think the idea BEHIND the Aligned continuity was all that bad - I think the Transformers universe can and in many cases IS large enough to support an expansive universe - but you’re right, they went about it in just the worst possible way. Prime was the closest to having real, actual human stories (that’s stories about characters that FEEL human and not necessarily characters that are literal homosapiens for the ones who treat the word “human” on these boards like a slur), but even that got held back by the need for building a “mythology”. Which again - I’m not against, for certain continuities. Transformers CAN be this mythological space-fantasy, but it doesn’t HAVE to be either, and just because they have gotten it wrong doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be attempted. It just needs the right stories, writers, directors, and creative talent with limited to no restrictions. But that stuff also shouldn’t be something you follow to the letter. I feel like a lot of what Alligned set up and wrote for backstory didn’t really become the foundations for other writers to build off of and play with and change to fit their story so much as a crutch so they don’t have to do any real world building. Take for example the MCU - personally I think it’s dumb capeshit that serves to make Disney money and spew out propaganda for the military industrial complex, but credit where credits due they DO make a genuine effort to adapt and alter existing comic book elements and stories and make them part of this larger cohesive thing that has the advantage of all the prior comic knowledge already. They don’t always succeed or do it with grace, but they do try, at the very least.

EXACTLY. The first Godzilla movie is literally a horror film and a character study of a man who creates something so awful that he can’t live with himself, and a powerful and poignant metaphor about the collective trauma a nation faced when two civilian cities were attacked with the most horrific and devastating weapons ever made. To say that “the humans don’t matter” is a fucking insult. Why do they even like Godzilla? Why not just watch YouTube clips of the fight scenes if that’s all they care about?

aw damn I’m back on the soapbox again aren’t I

• Like Like x 6
  4. Suboptimal Optimus

Anyone who still like Star Wars after Disney mutilated the corpse is like being stuck in an abusive relationship. Transformers would have ended this way but the series established a multi-canon setup so long ago that this sort of rot never take hold permanently otherwise IDW's anti-Optimus stances would have stuck.

• Like Like x 5
  5. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed Kong vs Godzilla when I first saw it, but the more I think about it the more uncomfortable it makes me. More so the reaction to it than the movie itself. I think the movie is fine as a fun romp, but I don't get the whole "this should be the model for Kaiju/Transformers/popcorn movies" mentality that a lot of people have. The model for popcorn movies should be...minimal character development and shallow predictable storylines with contrived logic? That would get really boring really fast. I'd ask for a bit more. Godzilla vs Kong almost felt like a really big budget fan-film (kind of like the Darth Maul one from a few years back). Fun to watch, but ultimately shallow as heck. The only thing that really peaked my interest was the hollow Earth...that felt really creative.

You bring up a really good point about people missing what made Godzilla leave an impact. It would almost be like saying "I want Wall-E, but without the social commentary on pollution and consumerism". I mean, I love the cute robots and laser guns as much as anyone, but without the interesting themes you just have two hours of this. Which is cute, but that alone would have been forgotten after a week. You need those thought-provoking, gripping themes to elevate it above Minions.

Another good example is the Vader hallway scene in Rogue One. When I watched that scene, it left a sick feeling in my stomach because Vader was essentially a slasher villain murdering the helpless good guys (as they were tensely trying to get the disk to safety). It was supposed to be scary and nerve-racking! Yet a lot of people cheered at that scene, and walked away thinking it was supposed to be some rite of passage for a character reestablishing how awesome they are. Like, a lot of people wanted Luke to do that in TLJ (I get wanting Luke to have a proper lightsaber duel or something, but Luke as a slasher villain would have been really off-putting).

• Like Like x 1
  6. bufferunderrun

bufferunderrun Well-Known Member

have you watched last bumblebee movie? Half of it is about the classic college tropes of the girl not having a car, then we have the damn gi joe losing it’s squad and hating the alien.
    It was like the entire budget for the movie was eaten by the cybertron introduction and then they keep the rest for the last scene.
    I don’t mind the humans being around or be co protagonists but when i watch i transformers movie i want that to be primarily about the robots.
    Is like watching a batman movie where Alfred is the main character and batman is the sidekick.
    I do understand that primarily the target of those movies is bringing new peoples especially young one into the transformers franchise and also they need to do well in profits to keep the boat afloat, its probably my fault watching them with the mentality of the transformers fan.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  7. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised by the anti-lore/canon/continuity talk here. Yeah, yeah it's the unpopular opinions thread, but it kind of baffles me. I'd say lore is a pretty big part of these kinds of series, and continuity is absolutely one of the top priorities with a series. Why should we care about certain characters, events, motivations, entries, etc if the people making don't? Some go a bit too far and since the Bad Batch was mentioned, I feel that is one that is being a bit picky, but when you have a literal story group whose sole purpose is to keep track of this stuff you kind of expect this. Especially when the events were a part of a comic series that they made. Disney has certainly had a lot of screw-ups with Star Wars though so who knows.

I'm glad that Transformers has really expanded its lore, but I also feel that a lot of it is too samey and stagnate the past few years. I love references and using similar ideas and concepts, but I also like different iterations doing different things, a lot of stuff in the past decade or so has been so alike that it's gotten a tad boring. I've been watching every TF show for close to a year now (I'm currently working through Cybertron) and it's been a lot of fun watching for the first time, and of course revisiting, series that do things differently. I really miss the uniqueness of designs, different versions of characters, and the different stories.

• Like Like x 3
  8. agent j 15

I loved Godzilla vs. Kong, like absolutely fucking loved it, but I also watched it with the context that it's 1. More of a Kong movie than a Godzilla movie, 2. If it IS a Godzilla movie at ALL it's an American Godzilla movie which means NO actual analysis of nuclear war themes because that makes Americans feel bad and if I go any more in depth this post will get banned for 'politics', and 3. my first image of it was a big monkey fighting a big lizard on top of an aircraft carrier and that was my bar for what I wanted. Honestly, KONG is more the main character in that movie than any of the humans, and I really appreciated that - he has an actual arc, a call to action, an emotional climax, he's an actual character. Yeah it's shallow but I was expecting it to be shallow, the humans I honestly found entertaining enough and better written than some of the other Monsterverse characters. They served their purpose and didn't overstay their welcome. However I get where you're coming from 100% and certainly won't deny that the movie could have been more thematically dense. However for my money (or rather the money of the person whose HBOMax account I used to watch it) I got what I wanted out of it. That being said it CERTAINLY shouldn't be the model (because there shouldn't be a fucking model you should just write what fucking works why is it so hard for Hollywood to just come up with their own ideas).

Thematic ANYTHING is missing from so many big movies lately, especially if it's even remotely made for kids. Again, going back to the American Godzilla/Nuclear War thing - god forbid any studio actually asks their audience to think and consider the story beyond what they can see happening on screen, or think about the stories in the context of the real world. No, that requires effort, and concentration, and that's just asking TOO MUCH of the audience. Does Hollywood understand that by pouring more money into movies that follow this mindset, eventually that'll be all there is, and people will see it because there's no other choice available?

I'll just leave your third paragraph where it's at because for the sake of my mental health I should probably not talk about Star Wars anymore.

KIIIINDA sounds like you shut the movie off before she even found Bumblebee but go off king

Fun fact - that Cybertron scene was all reshoots. If anything ate up a huge chunk of the budget, it was on convincing Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena to attach their names to a film franchise whose last entry had a robot medallion attach itself to Mark Whalberg's cock.

Don't like the human stars being all over the place? Blame the Hollywood system. They push for having as much of the famous marketable celebrities on-screen as possible and if they're just voicing a big expensive robot, to studio heads it's cheaper and more likely to pull in money to just point the camera at a former Wrestler or Pop-Star or whatever.

Also maybe if the stories were better written and the humans had more agency in the story people wouldn't hate them so much

dude that batman movie sounds fucking awesome sign me up

It's a tough line to tow, watching things as a fan vs. someone who just likes movies. I try to keep a good balance, but also recognize that sometimes it's good to view things with a bias towards one point of view or another. From the perspective of someone who loves Transformers I get wanting more robots, but from the perspective of someone who understands a bit how Hollywood works I get it. But also from someone who just enjoys stories in general and writing them and the structure behind them, I think saying they should NEVER appear or NEVER be a protagonist is limiting as FUCK in what stories you can tell.

• Like Like x 3
  9. agent j 15

The problem isn't lore, it's fans who confuse 'lore' for actual story and character development, whose idea of taking in stories isn't actually reading the stories but skimming Wikipedia articles that catalogue and classify every little person or place or event fleshed out with details that, sure in the context of the STORY are cool and add detail but in the grand scheme of things aren't REALLY important compared to the more important parts like, again, the STORY and the CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. Disney only has that lore-checker squad because Star Wars fans are insane enough to try and storm Disney Studios if they accidentally put Floppity-Fuck the Farton or whatever Star Wars alien in a different outfit than he had in the comics or whatever - shit like that shouldn't be a fucking priority for anybody, let alone writers who just want to tell a goddamn story. Plus, if the Character Development is good, it won't matter if the lore isn't airtight - we'll care about the characters anyway because the writers did their job.

• Like Like x 5
  10. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the actual story and character development is definitely the top priority, fans of sci-fi and fantasy tend to get truly immersed thanks to the lore and the world that this story and characters live in. I believe the lore itself plays a bigger role than you're giving credit for.

As a big Star Wars fan myself, there are definitely people out there that take things too seriously. At the same time, they aren't the only ones. Don't many fandoms, including our own, unfortunately, do the same thing? I mean look at the backlash people gave before the '07 movie. I still hear people bitching and moaning about Optimus Prime having flames.

• Like Like x 3
  11. JSpaced10

JSpaced10 Not Predacon: PREDAKING!

Twitter:
    A movie about an aging soldier, who lost his chance at a half-decent retirement because of a promise he made to his dead employer. He supports an emotionally damaged man-child with healing and care and occasionally suggests therapy.
    Over time there's a growing awe about how much the young man will endure to put away the insane people he encounters and an acknowledgement that as long as he supports him, he will A: Never get out of this terrible cycle and B: give his all-but-adopted son the best chance he has of getting through this alive. Just when he thinks he might have a chance to get him to talk to a psychiatrist ... a young boy is orphaned by one of the rogues gallery and the cycle starts again. Can Alfred save Dick from becoming the next Batman?

Yeah, "Alfred tries to raise/support/heal Bruce Wayne" would be a great movie to watch. That one line from the 1989 Batman movie: "I have no wish to spend my remaining years mourning former employers... or their sons."

• Like Like x 5
  12. JSpaced10

JSpaced10 Not Predacon: PREDAKING!

Twitter:
    If I was in charge of an established franchise movie, I would probably 100% change things ENTIRELY to drive the message boards insane.

"You realise the original Death Star was ping-pong tables with battleship airfix kits glued to it right? There is no Death Star, or X-Wing, or Boba Fett. It's just fun. Maybe have a think about why this makes you so angry, as opposed to how angry it makes you?"

I'll admit my inner child kicked back at "Prime looks wrong" on watching, but not anywhere near as much as his continued roaring "JUST DIE!" "I will take your face!" "YOU'RE DEAD!" It's like having the world's best step-dad then one day he has a bad reaction to a drink or something and starts staggering around, knocking vases off the mantelpiece.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Suboptimal Optimus

Changing things just to spite people and go "Haha fuck you fanboys!" is exactly the mess we are in right now in many aspect of pop culture. I think the issue here is people are seeing a glut/stagnation to Transformers that wasn't present fifteen years ago. Transformers as a series spent quite a lot of time juggling reinvention and tradition to keep itself fresh for the current generation, from the Japanese-only series to Beast Wars to the Unicron Trilogy and, yes, even the Bay movies. I think what's going on here is people are starting to find the same rehash of neo-G1 increasingly boring from a storytelling perspective. Increasingly this balance of reinvention versus established is weighting more and more toward the established.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Rapidfirestormer

Rapidfirestormer Not Even Remotely Dorky

The colorscheme for the Torchbearers isn't that bad.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Shady boi

Shady boi Face Taking Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Starscream should use a sword more.

• Like Like x 9
  16. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Lowering the Bar

I entirely blame the Star Wars sequel trilogy for enforcing the whole "true fan's perfect checklist story nostalgia" movie pop-culture era we're in. It's pure stagnation with no creativity because of the whole early 2000's "crappy reboot rant" culture. Transformers caught a stray bullet for it too, it's clearly how the Netflix Siege trilogy was made with the whole: "No stupid ass humans, DARK, set on Cybertron" mindset. These people running these things are just so delusional.

I thought Blitzwing's "Now you'll die screaming, like your friends!" in the Bumblebee movie coincidentally sounded like a Furmanism after rewatching it a few times. Intentionally or not, it's a funny callback.

• Like Like x 3
  17. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

yes

18. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    I imagine a cocky Decepticon saying "it's over...FINISHED" but getting interrupted:D 

• Like Like x 2
  19. Suboptimal Optimus

Do we live in the same reality? Disney Star Wars is only surface level at being nostalgic. Its entirely built to hook suckers and then sucker punch them and tell them their heroes suck and fuck you, they got new and better heroes to market to you and you are a bad person for not liking these terrible characters. The Transformers equivalent would be a cartoon that start off with G1 nostalgia and then Drift, Windblade, Squeek and other characters replace Optimus because he was a deadbeat husband who was shit and Elita-1 (now given a completely different personality that is now aggressive and spiteful) is deserving of the Matrix. Then he become Orion Pax again and apologize. That's what Transformers would look like if it followed Disney's 'winning formula' for Star Wars.

It would make killing off Optimus in Transformers the Movie and his replacement with Hot Rod feel tasteful by comparison.

• Like Like x 7
  20. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

i hate disney for this, they killed off my boy admiral ackbar:banghead: 

• Like Like x 2