Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mn_128875, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Agreed. I genuinely don't get the idea of only having one female among the main characters.
    Also agreed. I found it to be really enjoyable for what it was going for.
    I kind of agree. I definitely don't dislike the Combiner Wars or Power of the Primes Combiners, but I don't think the Scramble City format needs to be revisited. The designs are pretty basic, and I'm not sure how much can be improved. My favorite Prime Wars Combiners (apart from Devastator) are Volcanicus and Abominus, personally, since they seem a little less basic and have more personality to them.
    I only have Tripredacus, but I agree. It's so unique and I can't think of anything else like it.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS TIME!

Bumblebee has just the right amount of action. It's not supposed to be a Michael Bay action set piece jumping from one fight to the next. It's meant to have a smaller scale and focus more on the characters and their development as they recover from their trauma. In that regard, I think it succeeds in what it sets out to do.

The Return of Optimus Prime is my favorite G1 Transformers episode. Yes, it does take the wind out of Dark Awakening's sails, but it has my favorite Transformer in it, and I really love the message. Hate begets hate, and only wisdom - not just the wisdom of an individual, but the accumulated wisdom of many different people - can end hatred. I also love the ending, with Optimus telling Hot Rod that just because the Matrix is empty doesn't mean that the wisdom of the ages isn't gone - they're all a little wiser now. I really feel like it should have been the end of the G1 cartoon, or at least between those Autobots and Decepticons, with the Quintessons, Unicron's head, and/or rogue Transformers being the antagonists of Season 4 and beyond (if they had continued beyond a fourth season).

Windblade has not been handled as poorly as a lot of people say. Her miniseries was good, Transformers: Till All Are One ended much too soon, and I find the character in IDW's previous run of comics and the Cyberverse cartoon to be likable, well-rounded, and thoroughly enjoyable. I am glad to count her as one of the "main" Transformers characters.

When Cyberverse ends, I would like the next Transformers cartoon to only feature the bare minimum of franchise mainstays. I would like the rest of the main cast filled out with second-strinters, obscure characters, previously comics only characters, and new characters. Like, what if the main Autobots were Prime, Bee, Windblade, Chromia, and Nautica with Beast Wars Dinobot or Slapdash or the Motorvators showing up later? And this time the bad guys had the likes of Shatter, Dropkick, Quake, and Krok on the same team as Megatron and Starscream? Heck, what if apart from the Big Four, it was all new characters with the occasional appearance by an obscure guy? I'd be down with that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

I don't like it because bringing back Optimus to save the day kind of sends the message that Rodimus wasn't good enough to lead the Autobots. It could've been reworked super easily to have Rodimus open the Matrix and spread its wisdom to end the Hate Plague and leave out Optimus entirely so Rodimus can prove himself. I know TRoOP only happened to appease the young fans who wanted Prime back, and I do think it was a good idea to do so just for them, but that doesn't make for good storytelling. Yeah, death is sad, don't ignore it, it's fine to want people back, but you gotta move on - moving on shows strength.

It did eventually give us this legendary line, though.

"And that's what you'll be called from now on, Kup. ShitPiece."

• Like Like x 3
  3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I prefer the relationship of Galvatron and Cyclonus over the one between Megatron and Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KittoKatsu

KittoKatsu Well-Known Member

I think ROTF was the best movie in the whole franchise,

..simply because characters C O M B I N E D .

5. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I liked the AoE KSI conversion style, minus the floating around. Back in 06 when rumors of the Transformer movie were making their way around, I had thought that they would have to do nanobot-style conversions in order to pull off the transformations without having to answer the question of where the seats and steering wheel went and where the hands and face came from.

I don't particularly care for RID Strongarm. I think she's an overbearing hall monitor as a Transformer, and I don't find her attractive at all - some people call her "thicc," but I just find her chunky and unappealing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    "The Touch" is not overused/overrated, it deserves its usage and exposure.

• Like Like x 7
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I tend to agree. It would have been neat to do something similar to the nanobots in Big Hero 6 for the KSI bots. Have the nanobots be affected by physics. Like, they have to stack on top of each other and whatnot.

Even though the execution was iffy, I actually really like the idea of Transformers metal being made up of nanobots. That implication has been there since the beginning (although it may have not been intentional). It's a great explanation for how they reformat themselves, heal themselves, for why things tend to shrink and grow, and for why entire vehicle components disappear. Transformers metal has always been this weird alien thing that's never felt like actual metal...it behaves more like cells in a human body or something. It's neat that someone finally thought "hey, lets just go ahead and confirm that it's nanobots". It just makes so much sense.

8. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I do find her a little irritating. She's not Energon Ironhide-level bad, but she does come across as a bit of a nag. That being said, RID Sideswipe is equally annoying.

9. Honorbound

Ebay:
    It really does explain everything, right down to their flexible, skin-like faces in most depictions.

As an extension of this, Transformers could theoretically only have the kibble that they choose to have.

@Longitudinalwave That's a good way to sum her up. And you're right, Sideswipe's no better. I will admit that I liked Grimlock from what little I saw of RID

• Like Like x 3
  10. Longitudinalwave

I liked him too!

11. Honorbound

Ebay:
    Yeah, he wasn't a try-hard badass. He arguably pulled off the big lug archetype better than Bulkhead.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    CW Bruticus' alt mode isn't that bad; it needs a cockpit so the visible head syndrome would be resolved and paint at the cab windows and bumper so it doesn't look like a giant grey eraser. Biggest fix would be the wings should have a hinge joint so the larger wings can fold in.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NaCl

NaCl Fry cook

This is for MTMTE/Lost Light.

As cute as Tailgate is, I feel like Cyclonus would've made for an interesting character if Tailgate hadn't been revived by ??? and instead Cyclonus and Whirl hooked up. I mean I doubt Whirl would ever be in a relationship especially since he outright stated he's not interested in one, but Tailgate magically coming back to life and then getting handwaved by the characters in the story in a snarky meta way feels kinda pretentious and fanservice-y in the same way Chewbacca finally getting his medal is. It's not so much happening for an in universe reason, it's just there because the fans wanted it.

14. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

Who?

Bruticus is the name of the combined form of the Combaticons. He has no alt mode.

15. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

Ultimate contrarian opinion. I love all the new earthrise reveals. They are wonderful

• Like Like x 1
  16. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Just a reminder we have a separate thread for toy opinions in the toy section.

17. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    I think he's referring to Onslaught and how Bruticus' head just sticks out

18. MetalStorm

MetalStorm Click Click Boom!

Kinda figured, the "wings" part threw me off though.

19. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

While I have absolutely no problem with Megs having more mobile alt. modes, I think a gun\canon mode could work even in modern media with the right setting. For an example, I could imagine a more aristocratic, elitist take on Megatron who believes travelling himself is beneath him, and having himself be carried by his subordinates would be a sort of dominance-asserting power move. Kind of a "We don't drive ourselves, that is for the help" mentality. Bonus points if his alt. mode comes with other advantages, like somehow being able to shoot stronger blasts or take control over anyone wielding him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Longitudinalwave

That would be a really neat take on Megatron, actually, and I really like the idea of the gun mode being able to take control of the wielder.

• Like Like x 1