Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    While some may go a little too far into looking weird, I do prefer for my alien robots to look like... alien robots. Not giant metal people with humanlike faces.

Of course, that's just my preference, as I like humanoid just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never really felt the Decepticon designs were ever "alien" as most where just bipedal bots that where "very sharp" and would sometimes also have insect faces that made them look far to different aesthetically from the Autobots compared to how other continuities did the "each side has their own aesthetic gimmick".

If anything this just shows why the Constructicons where still the best Bayverse Decepticon designs. You got humanoid and "insectoid" bots, both familiar and out there designs, and colours.
    And I may not like it as Devastator rather than it's own thing, but the combined mode was fun too see.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    Forgive my ignorance, but what on Earth is an “incest face”???

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's what many would refer to as a spelling error.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Ha! Oh hell it’s too early in the morning and I genuinely couldn’t think of what you meant. Insect, yes, of course. I was just sleepily dense, not being a smartass.

EDIT:
    And now that I've adequately awoken, I'll try to comment more intelligently.

Honestly, the whole "alien" concept completely legitimizes the Bayverse robot designs. They don't even need to be bipedal, with bilateral symmetry, two arms and a single head as humans are. They're a life form from another planet, and could have evolved in ways we can't even recognize. However, I think the farther Transformers stray from humanoid, the less appealing they are for many fans. We're evolutionarily hardwired to be wary of (and even repulsed by) things that look different from ourselves, and sometimes "close but not quite right" is very off-putting in ways we can't quite explain.

The fact is, this is fiction, and the writers/directors have the ability to choose the aesthetic they want to deliver to an audience. And for some folks who grew up on G1 as I did, the more humanoid face (even if covered with a visor and/or mouth plate) is often more palatable. Others feel these are aliens and should look suitably alien, which gives a pretty open creative license for interpretation.

TL;DR: There's nothing wrong with "alien" or "arthropod" faces on Transformers, but not everyone is going to like them.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

That actually convinces me it does work. That looks pretty cool.

7. Cyberboy

Cyberboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or maybe it could work like it did with Colossus form the Deadpool movies, but with less humanoid faces.

ColorfulDownrightEyelashpitviper-max-1mb.gif

• Like Like x 4
  8. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Colossus was a good example too, yeah. With a more refined budget to make him look less video gamey at least

• Like Like x 1
  9. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I also always really enjoyed Starscream's design and how he had obvious avian inspiration, which works, since he was an airborne bot. Yet he also shares quite a few design queues from his G1 appearance, like the cockpit in the chest, and sort of triangular shape.

10. Devy Max

Devy Max Well-Known Member

My unpopular(?) opinion: ROTF Prime's transformation is blown way out of proportion. Everyone makes it out to be a mind-shattering million year conversion. It takes about a minute and a half for me. I enjoy it. Everyone needs to calm down.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    It had a pretty steep learning curve when it came out 13 years ago but today yeah its pretty easy

• Like Like x 2
  12. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I agree. Honestly, to me it's pretty satisfying. Personally, I always thought Leader Sentinel Prime's transformation was much more frustrating.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I think people tend to confuse "complicated or complex" with what is really just "fiddly and tedious". I personally just don't like it when transformations aren't fun, and that one certainly isn't. I don't own it because I like neither the start nor the finish, but the path from one to the other is neither mind-blowing nor enjoyable.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    As others have said, ROTF Prime's transformation was game changing for its time, with the entire ROTF toyline more or less being an extremely well engineered (there are exceptions, of course) lineup. You have to remember that at the time, Cybertron was only 3 years prior to mark the end of the Unicron Trilogy and there is a significant gap in complexity between Cybertron era figures and ROTF.

Far, far more complex figures have come out in the many years since then, so I dunno who is still saying ROTF Prime is anything special these days.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

By the time you successfully transform MP-36 from robot to pistol and you'll be so frustrated you'll wish the thing had bullets so you could shoot the box it came in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The Keyboard Samurai

I am not sure if this is unpopular, but it might be controversial. I think Legacy Bulkhead is a poor take on the character and also a subpar mold.
    478D4469-E93A-416B-ADF2-9F4F37EFBA4A.png
    The body proportion fits Hound better than Bulkhead.

This mold also suffers a design issue.
    A06B1FD6-0038-42BC-882E-1190D79260EF.jpeg
    There is no way to get that heel piece out of the feet without using a tool (If your fingernail is too short). There should be a groove on the tip of the heel piece so it is easier to pull the piece out.

After considering all factors from the flaw of this figure, along with other figures I am planning to get this year. I have decided to return it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's disappointing to hear. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrashBotJones

TrashBotJones Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I've just never really been a fan of organic beast modes, I just can't get over all the exposed robot bits, it's probably the reason why I've never really been into the majority of Beast Wars

Robotic beast modes are cool as shit though, and not that lame Prime-Wars shit where it's just a brick with tiny limbs and an animal head no I'm talking about ACTUAL robot beast modes, think Battle Ravage from Energon

19. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The Keyboard Samurai

I think it is better stay away from this one and save a few bucks right now for future releases.

20. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

I disagree about it fitting Hound more.

I never considered the WWII Willys Jeep an armored vehicle at all. It's a 1300 pound tub on wheels meant to replace the horse. IMO G1 Hound has the vibe of a minibot. Being bulky, tough, and armored just feels antithetical to what I feel is G1 Hound.

• Like Like x 2