Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I gotta disagree there. As far as I can remember, only Long Haul and Scrapper lacked proper elbows. Most of the team did have their elbows.

The rest, I do agree with. Those Long Haul hips were mighty tight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

I liked the battle damage in Siege.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Honestly my only gripe was that the seekers had identical patterns. If they had at least two or three variations then 0 complaints

• Like Like x 4
  4. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    No no, you are right. The figures had to have really limited transformations and uniform sizes because of the combining gimmick, which mean figures that were clunky and had limited articulations. Making them feel a lot more like upscaled legends than proper deluxes. The thinner plastics didn’t help. Siege was a quantum leap forward from the dark ages of 2011-2016

• Like Like x 5
  5. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    The first tier for Haslab Star Saber should have been the sword of the same name from Transformers: Prime. The second tier should have been the minicon team that forms the sword of the same name from Armada. Each subsequent tier should award your Star Saber an additional Star Saber until he is awash in an embarrassment of identically-named swords. I will not be accepting questions at this time.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Transformers toys that don’t transform don’t qualify as “Transformers”, in my opinion. I don’t collect statues or action figures. I want robots that shift and fold their parts to form vehicles, etc.— not ones that look like they could. And if I want parts forming, I’ll buy Lego sets.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought some was better than others. I didn't care for the 'random spatter' on the seekers or Megatron, but when done well, it really added something to the figure (like Netflix Megatron) . I think the gold standard of 'Siege paint' was the 'paint worn off the corners and edges to bare metal' look of Springer.

I think it's too bad they mostly gave it up. For example, I think the SS86 Dinobots wood look pretty nifty with a little 'grunge', for example. I think SS86 Wreck-Gar is a very good toy, but it feels almost criminal for a Junkion to look so pristine. (yeah yeah, whatever, 'cartoon accuracy' - Shut up!)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it would've been possible to release ER Prime minus his trailer, with no changes to the figure itself, just as a Voyager (that's how the mold was treated for his Netflix and SG releases, but I have no idea if releasing it on its own as a mainline figure would've been different for Hasbro, budget-wise), they should've done that and given the opened up Leader slot to Grapple/Inferno. That mold is horribly undersized to the point that it looks tiny even next to Cliffjumper, and it really could've done with a bigger budget for engineering as well. The vehicle mode just looks kind of halfassed next to most of the other WFC car and truck modes. (Inb4 someone's upset about Prime's trailer not getting made that way, that's why I posted it in the unpopular opinions thread.)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Yes, Grapple and Inferno are too noticeably undersized in vehicle mode, and Grapple is one of my favorite characters.
    I might not have bought Optimus without the trailer. However, they could have sold it separately with the accessory pack & Roller instead of putting tht stuff with the Centurion Drone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    "If you don't like it, don't buy it," is a lame comment. Of course, there are times when a specific person needs to take a step back and not get so angry over toys, but in general it's a non-response to criticism. It's the same as saying "let's see you make a better one then" when someone criticizes a film.

• Like Like x 14
  11. maloney4playz

maloney4playz tfp enjoyer, waspinator appreciator

partsforming pieces of the alt mode into "shields" is a lazy excuse to not make a better figure. especially on figs like cliffjumper and warpath.

• Like Like x 2
  12. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Yeah, it's usually brainless, low-effort tough-guy bullshit that keyboard warriors say to try and flex on people who criticize a toy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The main attraction to ER Optimus was the trailer to me... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many Optimus figures without trailers for waaaaaaaaaay too many years. I also bought the POTP because of it. To me Optimus figures that are without a trailer just feel "naked" / incomplete, as what's the point of being a truck made to pull a trailer if you never have one.

Yes the ER trailer had lots of issues that we all discussed to death already, BUT, it's not removing him from the leader slot that would have changed a thing.. Hasbro would have had to simply decide on making the other trucks (Inferno/Grapple) larger.

Their small size is THE reason I skipped both of them and just got the Generations/Reveal the Shield Grapple that's a bit too big, but much closer to correct size/scale than the WFC one.

It would have been an option as 3rd parties have done just that, but odds are, they would have priced it even higher and most would have skipped on it and gone with a 3rd party one. Separately sold would have only create an headache for Hasbro as the trailer was for most a major selling point (it was to me, and you and I know that we aren't the only ones).

Between the time and money on kits to get mine be a bit more "complete", I could have easily bought the MP10V.. and even now, I'm still considering getting it as sure, mine is all pimped out to be decent, so it's looking much better, but I can't fix "small".

For Grapple/Inferno, I've been hoping that oversized KOs might appear.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    More incredibly hot takes for the 'unpopular' opinion thread. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

When I see a post of mine that gets a lot of likes in this thread, I feel like I've failed the thread. It's the ones that people are like "nope, not touching that" that are the truest unpopular opinions.

• Like Like x 5
  16. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Earthrise Sandstorm's deco is better than Ramjet's.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

You can take this as 'tough guy bullshit' but a lot of people know what they want out of a figure and yet still buy figures they know don't qualify for that anyway. That doesn't give you carte blanche to go up and down the forums telling everyone how bad it is in every thread you can. If you can't live with that you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Own up to your mistakes and move on. You're never going to get the satisfaction of blaming it on someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I only posted my comment because I keep seeing pics of figures in the “Latest Purchase” and “Favorite of the Day” threads that are non-transformable. I see the images and think, “damn, that looks nice— wonder what it is?” I do a bit of web searching and realize it’s not even a transformer. What the hell? That’s disappointing. I assume that if I see a lot of people buying these, my disinterest in them must not be a very popular opinion.

19. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

It’s lame, yes. But it’s also true. I’ve been met with similar responses to my frustration with the Masterpiece line. I feel that making product decisions that marginalize loyal customers (whether it be with poor QC, lazy design, or aesthetic changes) is worthy of criticism. However, when a programmed fanboy responds to your comments with “no one is forcing you to buy it”, they’re not wrong. A non-purchase is probably the most effective statement a consumer can make. But it’s not the only one, and it’s not very satisfying. And if these boards are only welcome to people who heap (sometimes unwarranted) praise on the franchise, then it’s just a useless circle jerk.

• Like Like x 4
  20. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Sometime over the last eight or so years there was a distinct shift away from "let's bring back the best parts of the past and fold them into an evolving franchise" and into a straight "let's remake the past" and the franchise as a whole is notably less exciting for it. The difference is subtle and the shift was gradual so I can't tell you where or when it happened specifically.

• Like Like x 2