Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. maloney4playz

maloney4playz tfp enjoyer, waspinator appreciator

honestly, starscream, thundercracker, skywarp and the coneheads should all share different designs than the rest of the seekers, seeing as they're the "elites" and higher-ranking group

• Like Like x 1
  2. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always considered "Seekers" to be the name of Megatron's "elite" squad, which are the same type on purpose for an united force. I go more with the term "Flyers" for the Decepticons air regiment and squads, and that can range from just about anything with wings, pretty much as you stated.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Yeah, but going with the "elite squad" they're naturally going to be individuals rather than the lower echelon soldier. Being the 'elite' means they're better than the average Decepticon Air Warrior and they should stand out.

The odd thing is Thundercracker and Skywarp are often seen as second only to Starscream and yet they're the least individualistic.

4. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, that is more of a question that would be more geared towards the fiction I would say.

I understand your point, but for the toys, they are just recolours from day one. I would agree that it would be nice to see some differences, one with more weapons, one with larger engines, one with larger wings, etc. but aside accessories, it wouldn't be feasible to create so many different molds for the actual jets I would believe.

I could see different heads (actual heads and not the face having a stroke stuff), forearms, weapons, enough to give them recognizable features and differences, but keep the financial side within their allocated budget.

5. Vicegrip

Vicegrip Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with all of this. As far as I'm concerned, SS86 Hot Rod fails to meet the bare minimum standards of an acceptable transformer. The incomplete vehicle mode and the lack of integrated weaponry kill any interest I would have had in the figure. If anything, watching and reading reviews for SS86 Hot Rod only made me nostalgic for the Classics version; I never managed to pick one up back in the day, but I am seriously considering tracking one down now. In general I prefer the classics versions to most of the modern WFC offerings, as the seemingly bygone design philosophy of having solid alternate modes, integrated weaponry, fun-yet-unobtrusive gimmickry, and updated aesthetics was more in line with my tastes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    PM me if you decide to pull the trigger on getting a classics Rodimus/Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 1
  7. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

The Earthrise Datsun transformation and engineering is absolute dog shit. I can't fathom why anyone likes it, especially compared to the superior Siege Datsun.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The potp one too i dont think im getting the ss one the potp one does a great job of doing what the ss does

• Like Like x 3
  9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

So I realized today that the Legends-class Bonecrusher is my favorite version of the character, even though I really enjoy the Deluxe and Studio Series Voyager versions. It's just such a fun little monster and I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I don't think SS Grimlock is a bad figure. I actually quite like him, and his paint job is just (。♡‿♡。)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Busy Rationing Adjectives

Now THAT'S an unpopular opinion. Kudos.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I understand why people like the ER mold. I appreciate the generally better proportions of the robot mode, which looks somewhat like a smaller, lower-quality version of the MP. I generally prefer Earth alt modes, and the ER "Datsun" looks realistic enough despite not looking much like a 280ZX. The skinny thighs and fat high-heel shoes of the Siege robot look odd to me, though I generally like the figure and its alt mode is interesting.

That said, I completely agree that the ER transformation and engineering are terrible. Mine barely holds together in car mode-- I can usually set it down gently and get it to hold shape, but if I mess with it at all, it will pop out of shape. The tolerances are pretty bad.

I thought people generally liked SS86 Grimlock. I assumed I was one of the outliers in my dislike for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. lil society vert

lil society vert luv is rage 2/chainsaw man supremacist

er as a whole had meh at best qc

• Like Like x 3
  14. Movie Convoy

Movie Convoy Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I'm thinking he's referring to the Studio Series Grimlock based on the CGI model from Age of Extinction which I never got because I'm skipping all of the new mold figures based on the Mark Wahlberg Transformers movies.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he's meaning this guy.
    [​IMG]

Who's, while he's the size of old leaders, the dino mode isn't exactly good.
    [​IMG]

16. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that SS AOE Grimlock is pretty great, especially for the time and still so now. The dinosaur mode could definitely be better, but it isn't bad, and way better than what we got in the original AOE toyline. Granted, the OS versions and the GCreation figures are better, but he is still a good figure in his own right.

17. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I was, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Ahhhh! My mistake. Yeah, I dislike that magnitudes more than I do SS86 Grimlock, though I can't really comment on how good a toy it is.

• Like Like x 1
  19. loof

loof New avatar wow

Most, if not all, of the Alternators still look good.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

... that's impressive considering I thought most of the Alternators looked bad back when they came out.

But then again, I mostly meant the Viper mold which for some reason seemed to be half of the Alternators. And was garbage.

Actually, that segues well into my opinion: I think Alternators are better than Binaltech figures. I have Alternators Battle Ravage which I only bought after importing Binaltech Battle Ravage and realizing "huh, the die-cast makes this a fragile figure that's a pain to handle."

• Like Like x 1