Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. loof

loof New avatar wow

I really don’t like Generations Warpath. He’s a neat enough design, but he’s just not Warpath at all. He looks badass, but Warpath is not badass. Warpath is a childish goofball.

And continuing on from that, Warpath should not be a chunky bruiser/brawler. Just because he transforms into a tank doesn’t mean he should be massive. At that point it’s just not Warpath anymore.

• Like Like x 7
  2. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

What a coincidence, I actually just put Generations Warpath on my "to get" list because of his look and his proportions.

In terms of character I like Animated Warpath the best. Shame we never got a toy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Loves cheap thrills

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    "Let me get this straight, you think all a toy needs is a consistent head sculpt and color scheme for it to fit a character?"

"Yes, and I'm tired of pretending alt modes matter."

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'd argue even head sculpts are up for debate. Many characters have different ones to choose from like Blaster and Bumblebee, and locking only one style in just loses some creativity

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

So you choose "childishly goofy" over badass? Really?

If I judged a toy's collectability based on its adherence to the cartoon character, I wouldn't bother collecting at all. To each their own, but the Sunbow interpretation is an inconsequential factor in my buy-or-not-to-buy decisions. IMO, the cartoon was a diluted and often dumbed-down adaptation of a much more interesting fiction. I always choose the toy that best matches my head canon for the character-- I don't let a childhood TV show determine the details.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Why not? These are toys after all.

There's room for goofiness and badassness in the world of Transformers.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Which is why I said "To each their own." I'm just surprised, not judgmental. I personally find Sunbow Warpath ridiculously unappealing. The cartoon depictions are typically low on my list of preferred versions for most characters, though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

That's cool. The cartoon depictions are my definitive versions for the characters. There were some great mixes of cool, fun, funny, and bad ass.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I completely get that. It’s exactly what makes the current Masterpiece figures so popular with many, but not with me. I’ve been continuously refining my TF head canon for over 30 years, and while it’s a mix of many things, the cartoon doesn’t influence it nearly as much as do the original toy tech specs and my own adolescent and adult musings. For me, it’s always been a very selfish fiction. The Sunbow production never satisfied my more elaborate/realistic takes on the characters.

“My” Warpath is far too vain and proud to allow himself to be perceived as “goofy”, and far too strong, skilled, and massive (I like real-world scaling) to be anything but a badass.

• Like Like x 2
  10. maloney4playz

maloney4playz tfp enjoyer, waspinator appreciator

honestly, i just think that ER cliffjumper is much worse than arcee. in fact the whole mold is worse. the only bad thing about arcee is the shellforming. but its also an arcee that was produced in the middle of a worldwide crisis. cliffjumper is just lazy. if you have to take only one part of a toy and remove it whilst the majority of it transforms normally, then it is a bad toy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Unpopular opinion: Fossilizers are a monumental waste of resources, and have no place in a Transformers line.

That said, if they were their own line, I might feel differently.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Loves cheap thrills

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    A fix for that could be headmasters.

13. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'd be down but I don't have the energy for the inevitable reeee-ing from the fandom at large about non-legacy gimmicks

14. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

I really like the studio series bike sisters. I just love that they combine. That's something I've wanted for years. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that the originals didn't. (In all honesty, I don't even think they knew what they were doing there.)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I had to move much of my collection recently because of a pending room remodel, and it gave me a good chance to compare many of the figures I have (I mostly collect MP/3P). I'm not sure which figure I could say is my absolute favorite, but my favorite Masterpiece is MP-18B ("Blue" Bluestreak). I'm a fan of the Datsun Hasui mold in general, but in those colors... wow, he's just fantastic. I'm guessing he doesn't rank highly on many collector lists, but he has serious presence on my shelf.

16. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Organic-Headmasters, Powermasters, and Pretenders are dumb ideas.

Targetmasters are really the only thing that makes a little bit of sense, considering Megatron needs someone else to fire him in gun mode, but even that feels shakey conceptually.

Cybertronian-Headmasters and Brainmasters are slightly less dumb, but at the same time it shifts the idea of Transformers more towards piloted mecha, which on its own I don't dislike, but it doesn't fit well for Transformers.

I'm not strictly against the idea of gimmicks, but something that makes a Transformer reliant on a secondary character just to transform outside of combiners just feels very iffy to me.

• Like Like x 3
  17. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    The WFC3 ankle tilts really aren't that useful.

I don't want to knock any point of articulation, but that side-to-side ankle tilt just isn't all that useful without any form of front/back tilt. In general, if legs have decent articulation, I feel like front/back is actually more useful for achieving good action poses. Only having side to side is barely better than the figures that had the sculpted angled ankles for a permanent A-stance.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

Having front to back as well would definitely be nice but saying side to side is only slightly better than sculpted angled ankles is way wrong imo. Those sculpted angles sucked for everything except a-stance. Being able to tilt side to side just opens so many more options. Yeah, its not as many as front to back as well, but honestly, if I had a choice between side to side and front to back, it would be side to side every time.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Metro Prime

Metro Prime No sympathy for the self-inflicted

I have to agree with you. If my PotP Rodimus had side tilt instead of front to back, I wouldn't have had to super glue his feet in place to keep him from falling over. Tolerances have much to do with this particular debate I believe. Because not all ankle adjustments are bad, but they are better than most fixed ankles for me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    maybe? I'm just not finding that they can do a whole lot aside from some slightly more dynamic variation on the "permanent A stance" - I feel like I find more creative poses with some of the guys that have forward and/or backward built in due to their transformation

Maybe that's it, forward/backward gives more creative options, even if it's not necessarily what you'd want to use for a line up. All I know is, I've got Uni. 2.0 Hound and Sideswip on my desk plus some WFC3 figs and those 2 school them for posting with their all-direction ankles.

• Like Like x 4