Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

I'd say yes, but…

Perhaps the perfect engineering to me in the modern CHUG line would be the Sideswipe/Red-Alert, etc mold. It looks like a proper car. It has a fairly minimalistic transformation, and it makes a proportioned robot with excellent articulation. But to get the same thing out of differently proportioned vehicles just won't be as easy. The parts-forming of massive panels on Ironhide/Cliffjumper becoming shields or huge backpacks don't look good, I agree. I would take a little more engineering to have those do partsforming in other ways, such as become several pieces which could otherwise close up hollow gaps on the mold. Personally, that would be the kind of inclusive use of parts I would be eager to see a line do.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

I like partsforming when they do something fun and interesting with it. Like with CRID Optimus ending up only being the cab of the firetruck for his robot mode, with the rest forming a battle platform and supermode armor, or Energon Towline, who while he might technically only form the top of the van, has the bottom turn into a battle platform that he can combine with for a sick centaur mode. Stuff like that is fun to me, but taking the back half of the car and removing it before sticking it on the back of the robot later or trying to call it a "shield" isn't.

• Like Like x 3
  3. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

The deluxe price point shouldn’t be used in Studio Series. Believe me, it sounds strange, but seeing how fragile the majority of the deluxe cars are, I feel as though the deluxe bots should’ve been given the SS Hot Rod treatment. I just feel as though the build quality would be better if this was the case.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

As much as I like Prowl’s color scheme, I find myself almost preferring that of “Mexican” Prowl. The black helmet, which visually hides and integrates the crest wings, makes it look like a completely different character. I’m tempted to grab a KO of MP-17 just to paint it in that deco, though I had intended my next Datsun repaint to be a Strongarm homage.

5. The Philippine Soup guy

The Philippine Soup guy Well-Known Member

Here's mine

Why are people gushing over WFC Siege's ankle pivots? They're almost completely useless without some sort of forward foot bend

6. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    because it’s easier to pose and have them look better with minimum effort . Also the basic A pose for the best balance on the shelf is easier with ankle tilts 36DAB637-6237-454F-878E-259E83ADA9D6.jpeg 4829034F-5553-42F5-80AD-DA3F320C9784.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  7. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's just simply not true. I've literally never encountered an issue where I couldn't pose one of my wfc figures because the ankles tilted sideways and not forward.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Notomus

Notomus Unofficial Pope of Devconism

News Credits:
    Because I like to pose my figures.

10/10 unpopular opinion btw.

• Like Like x 9
  9. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

I don’t really get the outrage over leaks of figures before they’re officially announced. Like does it really matter whether the first time you see a toy is through in-hand leak images or a Fan First Friday event? Yeah, leak images might be messy and mistransformed (as can official stock and render images) that can make a bad first impression, but is that really a big issue? By the time you’re actually able to get said figure you will most likely have seen images and reviews to know what you’re getting.

• Like Like x 7
  10. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

I think the frustration is more towards Hasbro / Takara rather than the leakers. People want to see new products to have something to look forward to, but Hasbro seems to have been behind the ball on that front with Transformers lately. When leakers are able to get a hold of the product and share pictures first, it proves that the figure exists and is close to completion, and so raises the question of why Hasbro won't just release some information about it. It get's kind of absurd when figures are not only leaked but actually start hitting retail before Hasbro has said anything about them. Personally I'm not bothered but that's what seems to be the source of the complaints from what I can tell.

• Like Like x 9
  11. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People need to be offended and have something to complain about as if it's a personal offence that someone else got a figure first regardless of how they got it.

When the reality is that these are TOYs and somehow, is that important to them, when once upon a time before the internet, people would simply walk in a store and go "well heck, there's some new ones out! How awesome is that!".

Even sadder is how much so many argue the whole thing about TFs are nothing more than a kid's toy line, yet, the way Hasbro does its announcements, reveals, etc. are far from being a "kid's toy line".

Yup the irony here is tangible.

• Like Like x 4
  12. The Philippine Soup guy

but like I said, almost useless without some sort of forward hinge. Unless you have some sort of stand (which I don't have) then you can't have them doing stuff like walking poses or other leaning-type poses. It's especially a large problem in toys like Siege Jetfire and Soundwave, where in the case of Jetfire, it's a concern standing ALL his weight on one of his heels because, you know

points at 80$ pricetag

13. The Philippine Soup guy

Stuff like this. I really would prefer if the feet sit flush when doing poses like this cus it makes it feel less precarious. yeah I could just use the sideways ankle tilt and modify the poses so it can accomodate that but one: sometimes (especially in combiners or toys with more loose joints) it just doesn't stand up at all, and two: poses like the one Jetfire's doing feel better to me

(Sorry for the terrible quality lol)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honestly my first comment was too biased; yes they are very useful, but I really do wish they had forward ankle movement too. Shit like the Power of the Primes Leader Class toys, foot articulation there was perfect.

14. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

I think I prefer TR scourge to Studio series scourge

• Like Like x 1
  15. Whistle Rymes

Whistle Rymes Well-Known Member

I like repaints/retools. If I like a certain mould, heck yeah I'm gonna buy it in different colours! Is it a shameless money-grab from Hasbro? Sometimes yeah, but I don't really care. I love the Siege Seeker mould and if I had space for them I'd be buying the Rainmakers to go alongside with Hotlink and Red Wing. I just bought Smokescreen and Bluestreak, really dig those two despite them being the same toy more or less. As long as a repaint makes the figure look like a different character it's fine to me.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The old War Within comics had some seriously underrated designs in them. They gave Megatron the best (vaguely) G1-inspired design he's ever gotten, they had a much better take on the Tetrajets than Siege, Prowl and Optimus Prime actually looked alien, and Jetfire had a really sick jet mode (although I'm not a fan of the weird transformation with the cockpit winding up on his arm).

• Like Like x 4
  17. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want Transformers designs to return to that, where they actually looked like vehicles but alien. Unlike now in Siege where it's basically Earth vehicles with some kibble strapped on or a non-vehicle for even "alien" standards just because their designs were the same on Earth as they were on Cybertron in a cheaply made 30+ year old cartoon.
    Car.PNG
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. Megatron Unicronus

Megatron Unicronus Damn, I’m good.

News Credits:
    SS86 Jazz would be a great figure, if it weren’t for that backpack making me fear whenever I transform him.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Whistle Rymes

Whistle Rymes Well-Known Member

This is pretty much the dominant opinion of SS86 Jazz I think....

• Like Like x 5
  20. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

For me, that’s like when I’m considering the weekend NCAAF games and I see that Alabama is playing LSU. I would rather see the game cancelled due to severe weather than watch either of those teams win.
    Scourge is a lose-lose proposition in my mind. He’s a lame shell-former regardless which toy you choose.

• Like Like x 2