Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. The Philippine Soup guy

The Philippine Soup guy Well-Known Member

I can only really agree with you on the Grimlock part; Optimus looks fine as is with plain white.

2. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    raw.gif

3. KFGatri

Ebay:
    I always thought one of the flaws of the whole "robots in disguise" concept was that so many of the Autobots turned into sportscars, non-street legal racecars (Mirage) and even ultra-rare concept cars (Wheeljack). If you're a Seeker and you see two Lamborghinis driving down the highway together, you might as well start shooting, because what are the chances they aren't Sideswipe and Sunstreaker? Bumblebee's more "everyday" VW disguise is far more practical.

I'd actually much rather have them transform into everyday cars. While a car that turns into an authentic-looking Lambo is cool, there would also be something awesome in having a Transformer that turns into your car.

A Transformer that turns into a Toyota Yaris? Yes please! Maybe Glyph?

Nah, Optimus shouldn't have any white on him - he should have the silver the animators were trying to approximate with the white.

• Like Like x 8
  4. The Philippine Soup guy

eh... if it was on a prominent section of his body (say, his chest) like Grimlock's then sure; if it was Ultra Magnus then I'd agree. But since it's only accents and on the abs and thighs then it probably won't bode well with me

Funnily enough when I was a kid I colored in Optimus Prime's white parts using silver colored pencils because I didn't have any greys

(also quick tangent here: since Transformers are made of metal, shouldn't they be completely chrome/die-cast?)

5. Saiyun not munky

Saiyun not munky I AM an adult.

Toys suck.

6. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    no. Its a lost art

• Like Like x 2
  7. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Please God no! Paint chipping, faster joint wear. Die cast construction is an art that needs to stay lost. Chrome, used sparingly and intelligently is okay once in a while, but it shouldn't be the bulk of a deco.

• Like Like x 4
  8. The Philippine Soup guy

Fair point but I meant like theoretically, since they're completely metal, shouldn't they technically be completely chrome/die-cast?

9. SlagNotSlug

SlagNotSlug Well-Known Member

No idea if this is unpopular or not, but the Kingdom Beast Wars figures have been mostly underwhelming. Was interested in getting Blackarachnia, but the figure completely turned me off in person - looks fragile and small, particularly for $20+. Same thing for Airazor. Grimlock looks hideous in that Dinobot mold.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    AC7C6808-157F-4429-AB3F-D3B419FC674B.jpegSmart metal” can be plastic

• Like Like x 6
  11. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nah, not every metal is mirror polished, especially cars. Metal flake paint at most unless the car itself is chrome looking

• Like Like x 2
  12. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

I think the "robots in disguise" concept is one of the weakest and most quickly abandoned parts of Transformers as a whole. How often has this even been used in fiction? Soundwave in lamppost mode, the handful of times where people exclaim "that car has no driver!", the first few seconds of Waspinator's intro? Tigatron's intro? Masterforce Pretenders?

I suppose it works for certain toys, like early-mid G1 and early BW, in the sense that what you thought was a simple trukk/munky was actually a robot in disguise!!

In terms of the fiction it seems "robots who transform into things in order to gain certain functionalities" would be a better tagline, though I guess that's summed up by "more than meets the eye".

• Like Like x 4
  13. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Why? It isn’t like human figures are made of meat … :p 

GiJoe! Find him in your local freezer section! :D 

Metal is fine on model cars but not on something with as many moving parts and right clearances as a Transformer.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Kaynowa

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well the first couple movies did it, Armada, RiD to an extent, Cybertron for a while, plenty of em but not G1 or Animated. Odd choice but yaknow

• Like Like x 1
  15. dimitri evans

dimitri evans Member

Sky lynx should’ve been the earthrise Titan and Optimus should’ve been the commander. They could’ve moved scorponok over to kingdom (I mean beast wars wasn’t the original plan for kingdom so it’s possible that the ark wasn’t always planned). As it stands sky lynx is great but next to predaking it’s clear he’s probably a bit smaller than what most likely expected.

Also commander rodimus wouldn’t be nearly as controversial had Optimus introduced the concept of commanders as “voyagers+trailer base” first (50 bucks the amount you’ll pay for that nonnef kit is borderline commander already) Though I assume they made Optimus leader so he’d be more accessible to a wide audience and if that’s the case then I guess I can accept it.

16. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Hasbro needs to cool it on fembots for a while. Sure there is a VERY vocal group who loves them, but so far Kingdom has stores filled with Arcee...Seige in many stores here couldn't get past having pegs filled with Chromia...POTP Elita One clogged shelves here and can still be found at retail prices online.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Not sure if this is unpopular, but toy companies, Hasbro in particular, need to go back to displaying images of the entire assortment on the back of the box/packaging. When I see something new and turn over the box, I'd like to see what else is in the wave/assortment instead of a gigantic picture of what I'm getting and warnings that nobody pays attention to. They could minimize the image of the figure you're getting, decrease the font of the warnings and show us what else is in the assortment.

• Like Like x 9
  18. HotRodDidNothingWrong

HotRodDidNothingWrong Still salty about TLK Hot Rod

Toy bios/tech specs should also make a return

• Like Like x 7
  19. Kaynowa

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't think they should stop making them, they just need to not make them suck so much. Give them good figures

• Like Like x 16
  20. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or just give them good figures and molds.

• Like Like x 11