Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The absolute "worst" of any group is likely going to be a subjective call. Arcee is objectively flawed and easily falls to the bottom half of the list, at least. It takes a strong devotion to the character and a tolerance of shellformers to find her even somewhat appealing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HotRodDidNothingWrong

HotRodDidNothingWrong Just a Hot Rod fanboy with dumb opinions

Mine is janky as hell. It feels like it's gonna break everytime I transform or pose him. I'm also not a fan of the bot mode proportions.

3. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ah yeah QC ruins the fun as always. Never had the toy myself but I personally liked the stocky broad boi shoulders. Certainly had more visual presence than other Leader classes before then (and I liked the leaders haha)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Super Megatron does it better (plus I love the battle mask).

Open Play's...it's so smooth. Like, they should've kept some of the panel lining just to break up all those open spaces and the plastic and paintjob looks fairly cheap (full disclosure I'd buy OP Galvatron in rec time at TR Galvatron's size).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:

I really like Doubledealer but that knee transformation, especially to bird mode, is hell. You have to really get the hang of it and fiddle with it to see how it best works for you. Joint-wise mine is good enough to hold that big gun, but if you put the big blast effects it droops, which is a bummer.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus There Is Such A Thing As Truth

Wut?

7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I'd never heard of "Open and Play" before you posted this. That Galvatron looks very nice for an oversize CHUG, even though it doesn't appear to be up to MP standards. Assuming it was priced accordingly, even I would say it's a nice piece, and I'm not even a fan of the character.

8. Whistle Rymes

Whistle Rymes Well-Known Member

I really don't like the MP Seekers. Which sucks because I love G1 Seekers but their designs are just off to me. Even the newest MP Starscream I can't get behind. The shoulders are a weird shape, the arms are too low, the feet have such an odd style that makes them look like they're on their tippy toes, bleh. If everyone else is happy paying that chunk of change for an oddly proportioned evil plane, more power to ya.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BlueSilver

BlueSilver Well-Known Member

This is kind of difficult to articulate, but imo a lot of the siege trilogy figures are as stylized as any other line like Prime or cyberverse, not just straight G1 recreations. Most of the figures can be treated like G1 updates, but a lot of them seem very much styled after or for the netflix show. They look like computer generations. This is really evident in figures like the Siege Sideswipe or Siege Prowl mold. I love the kingdom Galvatron I just got today and am looking forward to getting cyclonus whenever that happens, but those two seem aesthetically clashing with SS86 Scourge.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    You have it backwards though. The Netflix show was specifically styled to reflect the toy design. In fact if I recall correctly, Hasbro loaned some of the CAD files to the animators in order to get the right look to the show and have the on screen design mimic the toy as closely as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BlueSilver

BlueSilver Well-Known Member

Yeah I remembered that when I was writing it which is why I added “or for.” My thought boils down to siege figures having their own stylization rather than being straight G1 updates. Where it comes from, I’m not sure, but I think they definitely portray their own aesthetic when you put them next to other lines of G1 styled figures. This may have not been hasbro’s intent since the show is based on the toys but it’s just how I perceive them lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What you're saying is spot on and is something I've tried to articulate many times, especially with regards to Unicron, who is perhaps the easiest example.

Haslab / WFC Unicron isn't G1 Unicron. It's WFC Unicron. Heavily inspired by G1, but a different character. Which is why it's okay he has significant visual differences (the back pack, the calf plates, the wing spikes). Because it's not G1 Unicron.

Something obscured by the Prime Wars Trilogy and now the WFC Trilogy's shoddy storytelling is that these characters are not the G1 characters. It's every bit a new saga, no different than Cyberverse or Armada or Prime or Animated. It's just the most G1 influenced saga ever because Hasbro decided after all those series that G1 would be the axis around which the franchise spins, in a much more significant way than just mere name reuse.

Really the only "G1" figures we've gotten at mass retail, strictly speaking, are the Super7 action figures and the Transformers RED characters, as those are meant to be the same characters as we saw in 1984. WFC Prime is a close cousin of that character, but still a different character.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Partsforming should be the way to go for scramble city style combiners. Let's them be stable and doesn't need them to compromise with the size or proportions of any of the modes.
    [​IMG] s-l640.jpg

Except if it's like New Age's Devastator or the G1 Menasors, that goes too far in the partsforming element.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  14. Whistle Rymes

Whistle Rymes Well-Known Member

Did not think this was an unpopular opinion but I guess it is! The ER Seeker mould is good. Yeah the transformation is weird and yeah they really could have updated it even more to give us something that was a little more on par with other WFC figures but I hardly care? They look great in both modes, the paint apps on them are good and eye catching. Like I get that there are things to complain about with the mould but I really don’t understand the vitriol I’ve seen for it.

• Like Like x 8
  15. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's a great update of the classics seeker mold. And bigger.

• Like Like x 8
  16. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

Future G1-styled Galvatrons should turn into tanks. The cannon mode always feels compromised these days.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

From my perspective, the importance of creative, interesting sculpts vastly outweighs cartoon-, comic-, or toy accuracy. I would rather the essence of a character be captured than the absolute likeness.

Interesting homage > toy accuracy > cartoon/comics accuracy

• Like Like x 8
  18. Cosmosis

Cosmosis Well-Known Member

ER Snapdragon is better then Siege Apeface. Just by a little tho.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Rojixus

Rojixus I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!

It is the year 2021, all Generations figures should have waist swivels.

• Like Like x 18
  20. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

I like 07 Blackout better than SS Blackout.

• Like Like x 1