Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    because it's a brilliant design (arm kibble aside) :D 
    I'd love to see a mainline styled like alternators where they had real, licensed cars and they sublined it between new cars (modern high performance ala Alternators), Classics (60s Camaros - 80s Lambos & Ferraris) and Hot Rods (more the 30s-50s Rat Rod type vibe). and the cons were equivalent licensed military vehicles.

on one hand, it seems like a total pipe dream, on the other hadn't Hot Wheels/matchbox/Maisto maintains all those licenses and puts out products that I have to assume have a much lower profit margin.

• Like Like x 5
  2. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Deluxe, maybe. The Voyager is a big, beefy design with a great transformation, good articulation, a great design and very clever weapons storage.

And honestly, I don't even mind the arm kibble. I just headcanon them as bash shields or something. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  3. artiepants

News Credits:
    I don't mind it, but at the minimum it should have plugged into the arm by the elbow, or had a couple more hinges so it could lay flat against the arm and/or wrap under the arm. It just feels pretty inelegant on a figure that is otherwise supremely so. His transformation is still so good, and his integrated weapons almost unsurpassed.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette I don't know what to put here

News Credits:
    Would it be ridiculous for me to say that.... I find the Energon Ironhide/Superlink Roadbuster toy to be kinda cool?

[​IMG]

I do get why this toy gets so much flak and was seen as an awful figure back in its day; The ridiculous-looking aesthetic with the giant "Speaker of Doom" and robot mode head sticking out in vehicle mode, as well as the somehow insufferable characterization of the character itself in both the Energon and Superlink anime doesn't really help much in making people wanting to buy this toy

But when compared to similar figures nowadays, the figure itself does have a lot of good aspects going for it. For its price, the figure is a very big, hefty toy with gimmicks like electronics, the ability to "Powerlinking" with other figures in the same toyline, and some pretty nice attention to detail (Like how the blue chest vents on the chest are actually individual color-separated parts inserted into the chest, rather than something painted on that could chip over time).

• Like Like x 9
  5. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Legitimate Salvage

Cybertron Red Alert bears a strikingly similar design yet I never heard any hate for him.

[​IMG]

No, Energon Ironhide's design is great, actually.

[​IMG]

If the head concealed properly it'd be perfect. He's the best looking of the Energon shirt/pants Powerlinx Autobots. (Jetfire, on the other hand...) Also his character premise was fine. The problem was his dialogue was simply annoying.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Mardroid

Mardroid Well-Known Member

I am not keen on partsforming either*, but I don’t mind too much if the part involves the character’s weapon(s) or decent accessories. For example, I think it’s pretty cool that Siege Springer’s helicopter blades detach and become swords, and the way various WFC Megatron’s Secondary weapons form their tank barrels. (That extra attachable bit to complete ER Megstron’s tank mode round the back, though, couldn’t that have been a foldable panel of some kind?)

In theory, I shouldn’t like ER Ironhide and Ratchet’s roofs detaching for robot mode. Bits becoming shields seems a bit lazy to me, but in their case, it’s a good sizeable Roman legionary style shield/multiple rocket launcher/medic or weapons platform/hover sled** all rolled into one. It works for me somehow.

Taking off large parts of the vehicle to become parts of the robot, though, as a rule, I’m not keen. I can see that for those whose entire gimmick is coming apart and being reassembled in different ways can be appealing from a creative POV, and I think there’s a place in a toy line for them, but I’m not keen on them as Hasbro/Takara transformers.

I do own two of such. I got Airwave, mainly because he has parts that make a decent war-hammer for Ultra Magnus. I think his robot mode is also unique and I like a couple of the other modes, but the method of transformation seems a bit of a cheat.

I also got Black Roritchi, but that was largely because I really like his robot mode, and I was planning on buying Scorponok at the time. I can see the weaponisation appeal, I guess, and the appeal of options, but taking them apart and reassembling them as vehicles does seem a bit of a cheat in this line.

*Says he, who has Netflix Bumblebee and Earthrise Cliffjumper and loves them despite partsforming being a large part of their alt-mode. In my defence I’m not keen on that aspect of their design, and considered getting that third party hinge system to keep that part attached. (I don’t use them as shields, preferring the backpack option there.)

** Granted those last two require a bit more imagination.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

No shame in getting Black Roritchi-- that robot mode is just too cool to pass up. I feel the same way about Six-Gun. I think many of the Weaponizers look cool as robots, even though most of the alt modes are lame and I have no interest in the weaponizer gimmick. I'm not collecting WFC, per se, but ER Ironhide and Ratchet would be a no-go for me simply because of the roof shield. I was moderately interested until I learned of that detail.

Parts-forming isn't an issue for many collectors, so I completely respect the acceptance of it within the fandom. It's just a personal hang-up of mine that I can't shake. If an Autobot can't "roll out" without thinking about where he left his damned shield, then he needs to weld it to his ass next time.

• Like Like x 5
  8. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah... you're right. That is a design flaw. One little tab and hole and BOOM!

I honestly think overall it's a damned good toy. Having the electronics in that section means the main body's uncompromised. It's got a big, beefy vehicle mold with actual molded-in seats and a bit of a dash. The transformation's good, hitting a sweet spot. You've got a big, chonky boi who looks like he could bash some 'cons, and he's got one of the best powerlinx modes out of any of the Energon figures, both shirt and pants. Yes, the visible head's a fail, but it's not like it's sticking out like a dome.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I'll always defend Unicron trilogy toys. Ironhide is still on my shelves, in middle of Generations stuff.

Maybe some were not cool display figures from an adult collector perspective, but they all were cool toys. Fun to mess with etc. (Even Armada Sideswipe, I'll even defend him too. )

Contrary to nowadays generations/SS stuff, who are extremely good display figures, but quite boring toys. (TR did bring back some cool gimmicks, but lost again with WFC..)

And yes, I guess it counts not only as answer, but as my upopular opinon.

• Like Like x 2
  10. wazzzzzpinator

wazzzzzpinator Well-Known Member

Having just recently reacquired him from a vintage toy shop, I realized how much i enjoy Transmetal Scavenger. yeah, he's ugly as sin and the beast legs can jut out awkwardly in robot mode unless you position them carefully, but all the joints on this one are super solid. His ant mode is huge and his robot mode is hideous in such a wonderful way that i can't help but love his ugly ass. I can't wait to get more shelves so I can put him with my original inferno.

11. Shady boi

Shady boi Insane Bangarang

Ebay:
    MP-3 was the best starscream, Windows 95 colors and all.

• Like Like x 3
  12. artiepants

News Credits:
    I think he falls into, not a bad design, but bad execution: if you just dialed back the Tonka truckness of him 25% or so, hid that damn head (how did that get approved, their HAD to have been a way to work that out) and could reduce the scale of the soundbox maybe 50% it'd go a long ways towards making him better. I thought he was pretty bad even by Energon Autobot standards.

For me, Armada dialed things back way to far, they weren't fun to play with because they were so bricky and lacking in even fundamental articulation in most cases, and they were ugly because a lot of them managed to be simultaneously OVER-designed (the insane level of greebled detail) and UNDER-design (bad, melted wax looking heads and faces, hands like mittens, underbaked transformations) and the gimmicks were often intrusive and didn't work that well... Energon solved most of those issues on the 'Con side, but the Autobots were hampered by the gimmick forcing them to be pretty poorly proportioned in most of their modes (but they were a lot more fun then Armada)

I feel like, for the most part, they really had it dialed by Cybertron: Good looking in both modes, Chunky & solid, but still looked "serious", fun, less intrusive gimmicks that didn't hamper the figures, mostly full articulation, great sculpts, fantastic build quality, and interesting, unique designs that felt like the could still be from G1 while being fresh and new. (of course, there was also Cybertron Thundercracker, who failed a lot of that criteria)

now you've just gone too far. :drunk 

;) 

13. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not saying they're better figures, but I much prefer the look of the MP-03/MP-11 seekers over the MP-52 and Maketoys seekers, or at least the design philosophy/aesthetics of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  14. Shady boi

Shady boi Insane Bangarang

Ebay:
    This opinion has been accepted as a scientific fact.

• Like Like x 1
  15. artiepants

News Credits:
    I'll take that farther, MP-52 and crew look straight trash to me, even worse then MP44. They look like danged vinyl balloons, they're so "puffy" and rounded. it's is MINDBOGGLINGLY to me that anyone would pay that much for a figure with the same amount of sculpted detail as the old $4 Heroes of Cybertron PVC figures. it actually almost makes me angry looking at them. The Sunbow look taken to the nth conclusion. :banghead: 

To see that engineering applied with the same design philosophy as MP Skids, that would make me a happy transfan.

Frankly, warts and all, I'll take the Earthrise seekers ANY DAY over any of the MP variants.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  16. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The keyboard samurai

Warning: Critical rant on SS72 Starscream and wave 12 of Studio Series.

I really want to like SS72 Starscream….
    3CF36F89-A578-4096-8756-CB6AE98CBB17.jpeg

…but the head sculpt of the figure just doesn’t make the deal.
    2851093C-9752-47AD-AA0F-7A73BE8AF6D0.jpeg
    It look like this version of Starscream is missing part of his face. Where is the mouth?

I would have brought it and complete S-Cons of the Knightverse, but it looks like I won’t be. (I am still looking forward to Knight Soundwave and Shockwave though.)

I have to say Studio Series Wave 12 is one of the weaker waves. B-127 was a repaint of SS64 Cliffjumper (didn’t have good experience with that figure). SS71 Dino is good looking but somewhat flimsy and a bit scary to transform. Finally, SS72 Starscream, while the figure is not bad, it is overshadowed by future waves of Studio Series (with repaints of SS72) and SS86/WFC figures.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    I don’t give a crap about scale.

• Like Like x 3
  18. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

He looks like he's wearing a nose ring.

Neither do I, in relation to other figures. I only care about size on a per-figure basis.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Also his eyebrows are red and eyes are silver

• Like Like x 2
  20. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The keyboard samurai

Is this better?
    15A7FC23-B649-48C6-A50F-C940DD3A0C91.jpeg