Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

The deluxe or the voyager? Either way I’m on board with this one. Both have a lot to offer.

2. PrimeSlave

PrimeSlave Well-Known Member

It's still a brilliant figure. I mean, it wasn't until Siege (and Earthrise after that) when another solid modernization of G1 Prime, without gimmick hindrance or other compromises appeared! Solid figure and while the updated versions have indeed improved on various areas, the core mold itself is still a very good Transformers toy. :) 

3. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I know the animation purists are still (justifiably) gushing over SS86 Hot Rod while anticipating the upcoming Rodimus Prime, but I think Classics Rodimus easily has the best alt mode of any HR release, and I honestly prefer the robot mode as well. I’m not usually keen on unrealistic alt modes, but his car form is gorgeous.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

Classic Hot Rod’s alt mode is based on the Dome Zero, which might be his best ever.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

I’ve been spending some more time with that figure after finally getting my hands on the Fansproject protector set after all these years and I completely agree with you he’s a great figure, even more so when amplified by the Rodimus upgrade kit.

• Like Like x 3
  6. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I'm sorry, but I can't look at Kingdom Dinobot and not see Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) from Gladiator. I just can't erase it from my brain.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

cw ratchet>????????earthrise ratchet

9. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    The fact that we have the first transforming figure of the ark being released this year and it didn’t take any visual inspiration from Animated Omega Supreme is incredibly frustrating.

This figures design cues take inspiration from the Last Autobot design, but due the the alt mode change, none of it can be accurate to that source material. They were basically working from a blank slate here.

This is likely the only time they will ever do a transforming titan class ark and they intentionally designed the transformation upside down from the animated character.

People have been begging for a toy of animated Omega since his reveal in the cartoon. I still see him on various wish lists. It seems they could easily have used some of the animated character’s design cues ie the thrusters on the shoulders without compromising their wish to make a Last Autobot. And if they had done that, boom: you have a second use from the mold in the selects line with just a new head and hands.

The current design team has done a RID bumper on siege magnus and a galaxy Optimus; but other than those, have they done anything else outside of G1 and Beast Wars? It’s weird to me that the RotF design team seemingly had more respect for the franchise as a whole, than the current design team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I’m not sure why you’re frustrated. Hasbro hasn’t really acknowledged Animated all that much since the show ended. Yes, Prime Bulkhead, Age of Extinction Lockdown, and, by extension, Cyberverse Clobber owe their existence to their Animated counterparts, but that’s about it. Animated has gotten nothing in terms of toys and merchandise since the show ended. For some reason, Animated is the one show that Hasbro refuses to acknowledge. I’ve seen people say that Animated was a created so Hasbro could fall back on it in case the first movie failed, but that’s not really a good excuse to ignore it.

I think the one bright spot with the Titan Ark is that there’s a possibility that it could be remolded and repainted into Tidal Wave.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My one pet peeve about Classics Hot Rod was that he created that myth that G1 Hot Rod was always a Dome Zero. They're similar-ish but they're definitely not the same car.

dome_zero_hotRod.jpg

12. theestampede

News Credits:
    why wouldn’t I be frustrated? Animated is completely ignored and shouldn’t be. This is the first transforming robot Ark toy in a generations line and the only transforming ark from any transformers media is not referenced at all. Of course I’m frustrated.

It doesn’t even make business sense. Wouldn’t you want to have the largest target audience you can? If adding references to characters doesn’t affect your design goal, why wouldn’t they be included? Especially if it would bring in a couple other customers who would otherwise be disinterested. Plus, who exactly is the target audience here? I may know who the Last Autobot is, but it’s a super obscure character. How many people who only watched the cartoon and never read any of the comics know who he is? I’m a fan of obscure, but it’s very odd to me that you’d make the most expensive figure the most obscure, while not adding other reasons to entice other buyers.

And as much as I’d love a tidal wave, I don’t see why they’d use this mold to make him. They didn’t include any of his design cues either and he has no connection to an Ark altmode.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  13. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think they would've IF Omega wasn't already in this trilogy back during Siege. They'd risk even more people going "oh this is pointless to my collection" and skipping out on the big ticket item for the year. As the Last Autobot, they get a new character to market and not have people double dipping. It sucks, yes, I would've loved for it to have taken Animated Omega cues but it makes sense, to me at least
    Animated gets the shaft because of wonky rights issues with Cartoon Network. Supposedly there's an Animated Bumblebee coming down the line in Buzzworthy but as of now, Animated's had that major hurdle to handle

14. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    The longer I own it, the more I dislike Earthrise/Kingdom Optimus Prime.

The weirdly lanky legs/tiny torso, random metallic blue paint on his hands/back of head, half toon, half toy accurate face colours and cheap trailer all make for a headscratchingly wonky Leader class figure.

I genuinely think the PoTP Optimus was a better figure. At least it had the guts to do something different and mostly stick the landing, rather than go for 100% screen accuracy and trip itself up every step of the way.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

I don’t see enough of a resemblance to even warrant such a stance.

• Like Like x 3
  16. theestampede

News Credits:
    I’m not saying make another Omega, by all means make a last Autobot. I like the character and understand wanting to not remake characters immediately (wish the design team did as well considering earthrise). I just think there should be some visual nods to the only other transforming Ark in Transformers history

Sure there might be rights issues, but it didn’t stop the designers from giving thrilling 30 blitzwing a spinning face, or rotf ratchet an EMP generator that could be swapped onto lockdown. Or putting bulkhead into other shows.

the rumored buzz worthy figure aside, it kinda just feels like the current team doesn’t like it.

17. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't know that they could really pull off a half-homage Omega without it being like Siege Magnus or GUOP where people would rather they went all in on it rather than only kinda commit. Going completely different is at least safe from "we're already halfway there, why not go the full mile?" criticisms that could be leveled at it. As for those latter ones, they're strenuous as best. They're other incarnations, not full remakes of the Animated crew. I would love a CHUG CHiPS Prowl more than anything but they can't get away with something that direct. Lugnut hasn't shown back up since during Animated's airing in RTS, with Clobber being an entirely different character. If we ever see Bulkhead again, itll be Prime I'm afraid. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and Buzzworthy will be them testing the waters for more revivals, I'd love to see it, I just doubt they're able to

• Like Like x 1
  18. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

I don't mind parts forming, I think it helps to enhance the transformation process.

19. theestampede

News Credits:
    I don’t think you’d get those complaints I this situation. The figure already isn’t accurate to the Last Autobot’s design and no one is complaining about that. And, frankly, most of us animated fans would just be happy that we were getting any sort of scraps at all.

And, as I said, if Has/Tak had a few visual nods built in (ie the rockets on the shoulders), they would have a very feasible and easy retool they could put in the Generations Selects line if their market research showed there was interest and if they wanted to recoup mold costs.

anyways, it is what it is. The figure is already designed and they aren’t going to change it. The current design team just doesn’t really respect the full transformers history, and that’s that. Maybe it’ll change, maybe it won’t. Hopefully a lugnut, bulkhead, knockout, breakdown, and numerous other important characters or more interesting designs get some sort of chug interpretation in the future (here’s hoping we also get something that’s actually new as well, I don’t want to just continually wallow in nastalgia)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  20. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind parts forming if it's in keeping with the character. Galvatron's a great example of this.
    One might even say that it's ok as long as it's...cannon! :confused2 

galvatron.gif

• Like Like x 8