Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

This. Stop giving me the same character over and over but making him slightly better where I need a new one. There HftD Jazz, PotP Jazz, and now SS Jazz. Although each figure is actually solid I do not need three CHUG Jazz's but I still do need a good CHUG Mirage because although I like classic and Siege Mirage he needs a good just right on G1 toy and call it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:

If all of you read my posts and didn't concentrate on how to justify anything but simply read to understand, I didn't say that an increase to get better toy is the problem, but that ASKING for MORE increases is... we have already gotten massive increases already as I stated and it impacts the non-US fans a LOT more, something that americans don't see to wrap their heads around.

For the quality argument, thing is, many have to have the "newest and best" but either already sold, never bought, etc. some figures from the generations or other lines that actually hold to today's standard easily... more than many tend to want to believe as they dismiss any "old" figures that costs less than half the price some years ago as cannot dare to compare to the new stuff.. it's a terrible mindframe.

I see a LOT of member idolize the new figures and consider them "flawless" and "THE" one that it the one that they always waited for, etc... just like they did with the previous version, and will say with the next one. If I dare state that it's not as "perfect" as some want to believe, I get trashed E-V-E-R-Y time, but too bad.. I know that I also get the "glad to hear that I'm not the only one that sees this" comments that have more value than blind lemmings trash talk.

The prices increases ARE shutting down quite a few people, I know of at least 3 collectors that are or already sold their full collection because of the prices and the hardship of obtaining the exclusives, and many others that have to sell in part to be able to finance a few new ones. It doesn't affect you, so you just can't care.... I do.. I've been collecting a very long time, probably longer than most members have bee alive, and if there's one thing I've learned is that it sucks, it sucks very hard when you hit hard times and as a collector with passion for it, knowing that for that extra 5-10$ increase, you can't afford a particular toy that would possibly help your mood, state of mind, etc. You are focusing on the example of deluxes, but when you have the Voyagers (from 25$ to 40$) and leaders that have also DOUBLED, so at 70+$ for a figure that was 30-40$ just a few years ago, that's a massive difference and impacts collectors that aren't as well to do as others.

Edit: one more point I forgot: for all of you that are whining about "I'd pay for better".. Why the hell should Hasbro do better when you are actually TELLING Hasbro to milk you???? Seriously. Ask for the better toys instead, Ask for the flaws to be fixed, for the "missing" things. But to give Hasbro the one thing they want to hear for them to continue doing what they are doing? You really don't get that? Hasbro will give you a "new and improved" version I can promise you that, but again, it will have flaws, and then the next version will have a hat, and again, other flaws.. you will never catch the dragon...

But anyways... this isn't the first time I state my piece about this, and I wish to get people to understand that we should work TOGETHER as a fandom so that all fans can be ale to enjoy these toys, but these replies and such shows that many just don't....and don't care outside of their boxes.. yes, it's harsh, and most of you will jump to being defensive instead of really taking a moment to think about it and about others. So just continue as usual.. life goes on, and when prices go up, when scalpers screws all of you over for that one that was impossible to get, when that exclusive can't be obtained, when another collector/fan leaves, etc. That is when you can feel good about yourselves for taking the stance you do.

I've stated all that needs to be stated, I'm done about this.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It sorta helps to understand why the prices are going up, though. I mean, people freaked the hell out in the early 2000s when Deluxe prices suddenly jumped up in the US from $10 to $15. But that's because the prices were being artificially suppressed by the retailers for years, and didn't follow inflation at all. Eventually that dam had to burst.

Not all the price changes have had anything directly to do with the figure's quality. Fuel costs have gone up, so worldwide shipping goes up. "Living standards" have supposedly gone up, so factory workers get paid more and costs go up to compensate. Inflation continues to do its thing. Etc, etc.

What the real kicker is, though, is that our wages aren't also somehow indexed to inflation. So as everything else gets more expensive, our earnings haven't really increased to match. And that's an issue far beyond what the scope of these boards will allow us to talk about in any real detail.

• Like Like x 14
  4. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

If you want to band together to get an increase in minimum wage or receive health benefits, I'm down. I'll sign, I'll protest, I've got your back.

But these are just toys. I grew up with off-brand, dollar store Transformers probably more so than mainline Hasbro, and I had just as much fun.

Don't confuse not caring with being satisfied. You can't complain about people not caring about others when you have demonstrated that you don't care about others enjoying their own toys.

So while I may sympathize with you wanting to be a completionist, I can't empathize, especially when you devolve to insults like calling people who enjoy their toys "blind lemmings." That's a terrible attitude to have. Maybe we just enjoy what we've purchased. I've bought toys that I ended up regretting either because it wasn't as much fun or the figure broke or some other reason that I couldn't justify the money I spent on it. And when that happens, yeah, I fucked up. But I'm not going to insult people who did like it and did think it was worth their money. Heck, I just recently purchased Netflix Red Alert just because I wanted his weapon. I just tossed out the figured since I preferred the Siege version anyway. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what I did because I chose to do it and I could afford it.

And I don't know about you, but I've never been screwed over by a scalper because I've never paid for anything I didn't want and couldn't afford.

To be fair, that is a matter of patience. I haven't bought a single Jazz figure since the Generations one came out. That's nearly 10 years. The same goes for Mirage. And even Optimus Prime. I bought the Classics and then didn't buy a single one until Siege and Earthrise which blew me away. It may be another decade before I find an Optimus I like enough to buy.

It's true, I don't need 3 versions of the same character, which is why I don't buy them.

With the exception of Starscream. I buy every Starscream figure I can get my hands on.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  5. IronPrime2169

IronPrime2169 Supreme Leader of the Bluepremacy

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I can’t afford multiples of any character. I wanted ER Optimus Prime, but I already had BB Optimus Prime. Still I compromised by hopefully getting SG Optimus, and I’ll sell off the ratchet. Same with Netflix Nemesis. I find a way to work around it for Optimus molds, but otherwise I avoid buying redecos and remolds like the Seekers. Only exception I’ve ever made are the Siege Lambros, and even then I only have Tigertracks, deep cover hopefully otw, and the earth red alert if the leaks are true. It’s all a matter of personal preference and saving money. Frankly, I would never be a completionist, because not every figure in a line is going to be great. But if you are, good for you. Accepting other people’s opinions and stances is very important, and something everyone can do a little bit more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I love Jazz, but I have two figures of him: my original G1 figure from 1984 (Cookie Crisp mail-away) and Maketoys Downbeat. That's it. As for Optimus, it's the one I got for Christmas in 1984, a KO of MP-10, and a marked-down ER toy that I got for cheap because it had been opened and the box was ravaged.

I have a MP/3P collection, which is nice, but it also makes me very choosy about where I spend my money. My opportunity cost for getting them is that I don't have a budget for the WFC and CHUG stuff, and some of the recent Hasbro offerings have been tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I'm sort of the opposite. I've had to cut back on MP/3P to focus more on WFC trilogy. I've just been blown away by all the figures coming out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't know why I'm even bothering with this response because he has me blocked, but you have seriously got to accept the fact that NOT EVERYONE THINKS THE SAME AS YOU. For fucks sake man, it's like an everyday thing for you. Some people, myself included, are just fine paying the prices set for these TOYS because the design and quality is reflected by that price. But God forbid any of us actually try and express our satisfaction and you think you have some sort of obligation to tell us that we're the problem. You're so fucking pretentious it's ridiculous. Why not try for once and let us enjoy what we enjoy. Don't like the prices you gotta pay? Then speak with your damn wallet for once.

• Like Like x 10
  9. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    All I'm gonna add to this argument is that I think $20 for deluxes is ridiculous. $30 voyagers and $50 leaders sit better with me. $30 voyagers and $50 leaders are only $10 more than they were when I started collecting. Do I like that they're more expensive? No, but it's not ridiculously more expensive. But $20 deluxes chaps my ass. If it was a proportional raise in price, say 25% across the board, it would make more sense. But to have deluxes be literally twice as much as they were in 2007, while being half the size, it's just horseshit, man.

And I'll also say that, for the amount Hasbro is expecting us to pay for these things, the QC is fucking terrible. How many times have we had reports of an issue affecting all copies of a toy? For example: SS Long Haul's inability to stay together, SS Rampage's misassembled waist, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  10. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I by no means dismiss that increased prices are turning away some collectors. But I also acknowledge that Hasbro's tendency to keep making a slightly better version of the same character over and over is also driving away collectors too. For many collectors, Studio Series '86 is what we wanted from the beginning.

But we're not talking about standard price increases here. We're not talking about paying $15 for a terrible figure like TR Getaway vs. paying $20 for a figure just as bad. We're talking about being willing to pay more for a PREMIUM figure with a well designed, unique mold that perfectly suits the character plus additional accessories. That's not merely a simple price increase. That's being willing to pay more to get more.

You are perfectly comfortable dishing out your own criticism of Hasbro and fans but anyone who says something you don't like is "whining" and "what's wrong with the fandom". You speak of the fandom working "TOGETHER" but it really comes off as implying that YOUR opinion is the only correct one and we should all work together by adopting YOUR opinion.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

It's completely unsurprising that someone would have blocked you.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but comparing the posts, IFA's is opinionated commentary. It's admittedly a biased perspective, but it doesn't unfairly target anyone. Yours, on the other hand, is a personal attack. There's a marked difference in the maturity levels of the comments.

There is huge diversity in the opinions in this forum, and many are pretty polarizing. Many of my own are probably polarizing. If everyone posted the same perspectives, it'd be a pretty boring place. Disagreement is welcome, but no posts should include personal attacks, and any that do so should receive swift action by a moderator. Repeat offenses should result in banning. Period.

I don't know you, and I don't know @imfallenangel. I'm not picking sides, but your post is out of line.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay everyone, chill out a bit. No need for targeted posting or whatever.
    Agree to disagree, ignore if needed, and move on.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

Here's a likely unpopular one.

Blast effects - they're fine, but I honestly don't care if they are included or not. I also don't like the random pegs on chests or arms to plug these in. Like the two on the new Cyclonus's chest and waist or the one on Sideswipe's chest. I've been thinking about cutting them off.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    All of the potp dinobots are crap except slash.

• Like Like x 8
  15. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Of this I'm of two minds. On the one hand I agree fully about the recycling of characters. Pumping out Jazzes--and especially simply repeating the "Earth-version" of a figure you just made last year--is a sad waste of figure space. Do we really need another slightly remolded Ironhide when Needlenose or my boy Squeezeplay haven't really seen new figures since the late 80s?
    But on the other hand repeats like BB, OP, Megatron, Starscream, etc--albeit maybe not Jazz, is what allows this line to continue and be as successful for Hasbro since the CW trilogy. Getting another Prime in every series for the next 3 years is what also allows us to get crazy decisions like the Quintessons or the freaking Horrorcons.
    We are almost stuck in a catch-22.
    To play a bit of devil's advocate, if you look around many things are nearly double the price they were in 2007. I was buying Pringles chips at 99cents a tube (now they are $1.50), cold Cokes from near the checkout machine for 99cents (now they are $1.99), washing detergent for $5 (now it's $8.50-9). I could go on. As many people have said, things go up in price ranging from transportation to raw materials. If you want those assembly-line workers to make more money, then you are going to have to pay the piper for that one too. So increases are just a way of life, otherwise you become the guy screaming about how "back in my day" a bottle of milk cost 75cents and you could get a hamburger for $0.25.
    However I would agree with you somewhat on the quality concerns. While I found nearly all of the Siege figures, with their heft and detailing, to be worth the price increase, as WfC has continued I have become a little wary of how plastic is being thinned, QC issues on some figures are rearing their ugly heads, and the feeling that one has to pick and choose the "good deal" figures over those that "feel somewhat lacking."
    If they had kept the Siege status-quo throughout the line I wouldn't be worried, but the corporate corner cutting is starting to become apparent.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like them a lot more if they weren't made of a plastic that melts whatever they're attached to over time so that you could safely leave them on for long-term display.

• Like Like x 4
  17. rikaldomario

rikaldomario Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I may be the only person who would prefer a Core Class Terrorsaur, instead of a Voyager one because of the nostalgia of the original toy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You kind of already have that with the original toy though. It's essentially Core sized.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

If I have one major issue with the WFC figures, it's the accessory holes/posts. I have no use for blast effects and no desire to mount weapons on vehicles or upper arms, etc. I don't mind that accessories being included with the figure, but I don't like the compromise to the mold for the accommodations of such.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

It would just help if every character has gotten a proper chug toy. Gears has one but is is not the best looking and way overpriced on eBay right now, Sideswipe needs a proper earth mode figure, Mirage needs a proper earth mode figure, and if I want to get picky I would like a new Hound because although both Universe 2.0 and Siege are good toys the Universe 2.0 aesthetic does not fit with the newer figures.