Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi someone please return the slab

News Credits:
    I cannot for the life of me understand anyone who calls SS-49 a mini-Masterpiece. Let alone the folk calling him better than MPM-3. I mean it's probably just me, but to me that backpack isn't just chunky, it's also bloody hideous. The way his front wheel kibble pieces are just left the way they are looks ugly when they could've been given a hinge to bend down or something. When you really need to use a backpack for cheating CGI models, at least make them look good from the front?

His legs are also a big downgrade from SS-01. They look bizzare and not in a good way, very jagged and quite ironically less accurate than the overall less accurate Clunker mold. The only piece of downgrade, I'd say. Well, three but they're just nitpicks. I hate all kinds of ball joints when they're used for forearms. For the articulation they provide, they don't provide an acceptable sacrifice in accuracy when the black ratchets of SS-01 look better both as a toy and as a replica of the CGI model.

Maybe I'm just being extra nitpicky about Bee because I've been waiting for a new Trilogy Bee since I missed DOTM Deluxe Bee (stupid me) and he's one of my favourites.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GitGudGabe

GitGudGabe v e h i c o n

News Credits:
    FOC Vortex > CW Helicopter Mold. Similar articulation, superior aesthetic, generally has more personality.
    TH 30 Blitzwing > TR Blitzwing . Better jet and tank modes, but I'll give Tr the robot mode.
    Potp Abominous>>>Potp predaking. Not even close. Cheaper, better beast and better robot modes. The worst terrorcon is about the same quality as the best predacon.
    Also: While the popt terrorcons are excellent, but hun-gurr, cutthroat, and sinnertwin should have drawn more from their prime counterparts.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Gravetechlv

Gravetechlv New Member

I have to disagree, but then I'm late to the party, so having a Wheeljack or Ironhide is nice, but I can see where you're coming from , I mean really Galaxy Upgrade OP??

• Like Like x 2
  4. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    GU Optimus would have been great if Hasbro hadn't chickened out of doing a full Cybertron Optimus homage. All he needed was the right head in basic robot mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    All he needed was the right basic robot mode. Proper chest, proper shoulders. That was G1 or MAYBE Energon Prime in Cybertron's truck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    With the shoulder pads and bracers on, the basic robot would have been a reasonable approximation IMO, if he didn't have a blatantly G1 head. I'm still holding out hope that someone will create a proper Cybertron Prime head for this guy. And then the original head can go on ER Prime for some non-dead-eyed, G1 toy accurate goodness.

7. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

The legs on SS-49 look so awful, I'm shocked you're the first person I've seen who isn't me to point it out. That's why I passed on him despite him being $15 at my Walmart for a month when he came out. Not a fan of modern Camaro Bumble, not gonna get another at this point unless I'm convinced I'll like it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I really like that gen selects spy patrol but i just cannot justify spending $20+ for something that small and it probably doesnt even weigh as much as a deluxe

• Like Like x 1
  9. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Did you pass on all the micromasters for the same reason?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Driskull98

Driskull98 Icon by @Bugbrainzart on Twitter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Earthrise Prime is really bad when compared to Siege Prime. The proportions in robot mode are so off, it's insane. Probably the only thing it has going for it is a proper vehicle mode and better hands but the rest is just really poor.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yes and because i hate small transformers with limited articulation

12. MrNegiGeneration3000

MrNegiGeneration3000 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I actually prefer Earthrise Prime's proportions, especially the longer legs. I've always been a sucker for slightly exaggerated proportions

• Like Like x 4
  13. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

I've always thought the combo mode with Armada Megatron and Tidal Wave looked really stupid and phoned in.

The ER Hoist mold is absolutely inferior to the T30 Trailbreaker mold.

I would have HIGHLY preferred SS Scrapper to be designed to look like his ROTF legends counterpart. I know that goes against the general point of the line, but still.

SS car Shatter's head design is miles better than the one used in the film and on the jet mode version.

The netflix line looks generally awful. I hate the way the did the scorch marks. Although, I DO really like decepticon Mirage. My headcanon is that he's an evil clone named Fracture.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I really hate that Orthia's limbs are all the same mold. I'm not at all saying any of them should've been new molds, seeing as these are obscure characters as best, but pretty much anything is an improvement over using four of the same mold.

14. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

Earthrise Megatron is lazy retool

• Like Like x 5
  15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

As much as I'm enjoying Siege and Earthrise and while they're probably better figures objectively speaking, I kind of like the Classics and Universe and 2010 Generations figures better. Maybe it's because of how some of those designs got adapted into IDW, or maybe it's because the idea of adapting the original character designs into a more modernized form rather than capturing the cartoonoll as accurate as possible, but they just appeal to me more. I feel like there's more imagination there.

That said, Earthrise and Siege will have their place in my collection. I'm keeping Earthrise Optimus Prime and Starscream, Siege Ironhide and Jetfire, and the Weaponizers and Battlemasters and Modulators are a welcome addition to my collection. Plus I don't see Megatron, Shockwave, or Soundwave getting better figures anytime soon. I just don't need a super block Wheeljack or Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 1
  16. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    Heck yeah, miss the imagination, energy and creativity (not to mention build and QC quality). I'm all about modern updates, not lazy retreads. (that said, there's some good stuff in Earthrise)
    those 2 look so horrible. I can't believe the hype Wheeljack's been getting. (that said, his car mode is super nice)

• Like Like x 1
  17. protohuman

protohuman WTB: Black Fire Convoy & Botcon TM Tigatron

I decided I like the look of MP-05 over MP-36. In this case, having a faithful update to the original toy is more important to me than cartoon aesthetics.

• Like Like x 2
  18. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I like this configuration of Superion better than the G1 version:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That is very popular

• Like Like x 3
  20. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No wing replacement for Earthrise Wheeljack has been sufficient enough for me to consider replacing the stock ones so far. I want one that can still properly turn into a spoiler without partsforming.

• Like Like x 2