Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Insecticon

Insecticon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Animated Happy Meal toys were the last good TF McDonalds promotion. I wish they kept with that trend of Transformers that actually transform.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Have the thighs slide together into one stick like MMC's Bruticus

3. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

God, I remember those. I had Ratchet and Bumblebee. I remember wanting them all. I don't what ever happened to the Ratchet & Bumblebee though. Probably got lost in the Great Saberclaw84 Purge of 2009/2010.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I buy them because I'm a bit Siege OCD, but Micromasters belong in those plastic bubble vending machines outside stores.

Quite often they won't even peg together correctly, the plastic's nasty, and they're WAY overpriced.

• Like Like x 3
  5. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

POTP, Siege, Classics, and Combiner Wars Optimus Prime still look good in my eyes (and the two of those I have handled I would still say are decent figures).

However, I do feel that Earthrise Optimus Prime does negate the need to ever revisit the original G1 Optimus Prime design in mainline toy form ever again. We have the gimmick versions like Combiner Wars and Power of the Primes, and the high quality Classics, Siege, and now Earthrise Primes that either don't have a gimmick or have a less obvious gimmick.

Same with Starscream. It looks like they have nailed it with the Earthrise version. We have Starscream in his Cybertronian tetrajet form, as a Combiner, as a Leader Class giant, and the original Classics figure. I don't feel compelled to buy the complete Seeker lineup a third or fourth time.

Obviously Prime and Starscream are popular characters that sell well and will likely show up again if they do another Generations trilogy (Prime will almost certainly see a new figure in whatever War for Cybertron Part 3 will end up being), but if they do show up, I'd much rather see Prime Optimus Prime or Cybertron Starscream than an attempt to improve on what has already been done just fine.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

I'd argue that we could try and get a couple more homage-type Optimus figures.
    For example: Animated, Machine Wars, TFP, RiD01

• Like Like x 3
  7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    I’m not one for British humor, I dunno, it just never ‘clicked’ with me. From what I have read, situational humor is common in British humor, and I hate situational comedy.

As for botbots, I think they are cute and neat, wish stores stocked them here.

Siege Apeface’s white isn’t THAT bad guys!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nah, but his gorilla articulation leaves something to be desired.

• Like Like x 1
  9. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Despite some claims of it being better-looking in person, I have spotted and saw Apeface in-person but I still think Apeface's white "plastic" parts looks terrible; It's a bizarre decision to use material like super dense white nylon on Apeface while normal standard white or off-white plastic could've done the job.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Have you bought it? Does the nylon feel better than it looks? I can't imagine they accidentally used it..

11. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Maybe this is a “test drive” to see if nylon could be a better alternative?

12. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    I played with soneone else's copy of Apeface, and I won't really say it's cheap-feeling; But it just feels different and strange, like something out of a good quality 3D Printer ala Shapeways.

It's an ok material, but it also feels like the type of material that most early 3P companies uses and isn't up to standard to the material quality of current mainline releases.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Picked up Astrotrain from the LCBS for a nice price, and seriously couldn't be more pleased.
    While I do kind of wish he were a bit taller, he is a massively heavy bot. I was actually surprised by how heavy this one is. There is a LOT of mass there.
    Transformation is actually pretty fun, and the alt modes are perfectly fine with me. The shuttle gets some getting used to, but isn't nearly as terrible as some people made it out to be.
    The train is, well, a train. Not much going on there, but I do appreciate that it has wheels that actually roll and aren't fake.
    As with many figures, the bot mode is where he shines. Wonderful articulation, superb details and slathered in paint.
    The added train car/launch pad is a nice bonus, but honestly, I probably won't use it until Scorpinok is released. I do like all the added guns, though. Great way to kit out other figures
    Overall, the TR version is a good representation of the character. This one IS Astrotrain.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

That’s good to hear. I’m hoping someone (Nonnef, Toyhax, etc) makes a filler piece to smooth-out the back half of the shuttle. I think that’s my only hang-up with the figure having not yet handled it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Without turning it into a parts-former (which would be unacceptable to me), there really is no way to fill in the open area. It's needed to put the tailfin into, and it's also the sides of the bot mode.

16. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

The TR and Siege figures may outclass it in robot mode, but for me Classics/Henkei Astrotrain is the coolest, most charming rendition of the character so far. I find it’s shuttle mode the best-looking compared to the gappy back half of the Siege version and the flat look of TR.

I also love the bullet train mode even if it’s a bit underdeveloped. For me, reimagined/updated designs are almost always more appealing than straight G1 rehashes.

Also, I love the pop of the paint scheme and chrome on the Henkei figure. And all that in the form of a deluxe class!

• Like Like x 5
  17. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like him, but hate that they couldn't do better with the caboose (box accessory).

I can easily think of a way that they could have made it so that it would be
    1) Caboose for train
    2) rocket boosters for shuttle
    3) armour for robot.
    4) closures/panels for the back of the shuttle that bugs so many

and still carry the weapons.

Also they could have included a second missile launcher, that's just cheap for them to not have.

18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    PREACH! Added bonus is that we got no less than three distinct decos on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

Beast wars mps are more impressive then g1 mps

• Like Like x 6
  20. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

That’s what happens when you make a million repaints based on a show filled with repaints.

• Like Like x 1