Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

I don’t know if this either unpopular or a “toy opinion” but I never understood the people who say “this website is a dumpster fire” or “the fandoms cancer” I’ve meet nothing but decent people here wanting to discus toys and figures with the few weirdos I should probably avoid maybe that’s because I only go in certain threads or because I haven’t been around here that long

• Like Like x 3
  2. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

I've seen some toxicity here and there, but this is really the only large website dedicated to Transformers alone. Seibertron is nice, but its forums are buried and are honestly kind of hard to get to.

3. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette ぜんそく前進 .... YOUSORO!!!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I think the new Earthrise Starscream looks kinda ugly in robot mode. Maybe the figure would grow on me when I saw actual photos of the toy itself, but so far Earthrise Starscream in robot mode looks very blocky with its blocky and long torso.

The jet mode looks nice, however.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:

Yeah something with how the bot mode looks doesn't sit right with me. The robot mode of the Siege Starscream looks better IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Same with me. The new Earthrise Starscream may have a better alt mode, but it's one of those TF toys that makes for a better jet fighter toy than a TF toy. The jet mode looks really nice, but the robot mode just looks blocky and oddly proportioned in the same way as the poorly aged Classics Seeker mold.

6. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Awaiting Studio Series Sentinel (!!!)

News Credits:
    I agree. Every community has their fair share of people we don't get along with. One guy who happens to be a total f*cktard shouldn't take away the joy of building relations with other, much better people.

You must not lose faith in the fandom. The fandom is an ocean; if a few members of the fandom are cancerous, the fandom does not become a cancer.

• Like Like x 3
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I get the frustration with this new stab at the Ark crew not being all Earth or all Cybertronian, but I also think it's really silly to think that Hasbro would have spent so many slots in the lines on getting all 30ish of them done when there are other characters with no good updates at all.

• Like Like x 7
  8. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I thought Hasbro was gonna make figures that looked more like the show, since they had partnered more closely with TakTomy and both of their releases were going to be alike.

When I first saw Earthrise Leader Optimus, I was elated. Opening trailer! Then I got a better look.

Yellow eyes. :thumbdown 

Grey fists. :thumbdown 

No Roller. :thumbdown 

Very, very disappointed in this. I may buy the Walmart exclusive TV show Prime and try to swap his head and fists if I still plunk down the US$50 for Earthrise Prime, but I may just save my money. :( 

I like the Micromaster bases, and Cliffjumper. I might get characters that I don't already have figures for, such as Runabout and Runamuk if they release those guys in Earthrise. The rest is a wait and see or a pass, at least for now. I don't have room for Titan Class Scorponok anyway. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kaynowa

Kaynowa Will defend even Armada Side Swipe

Fists are grey in the prototype and blue in the render, so who knows. Roller may pop up as his own character

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deltron Magnus

Deltron Magnus Well-Known Member

Well, I have been here that long but in my admittedly limited experience.......I've noticed a few obnoxious people here, and I've seen some discussions get a bit heated, but overall, it seems like a good crowd to me. Certainly not a "toxic fandom" or anything like that. Every group of any size will have at least a few bad apples - that's just the way things are where humanity is concerned - but they seem to be in the minority here.

11. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Siege Seekers > ER Seekers
    - The headsculpt, scrawnier build, chest-cockpit, and magnificent wings create a sleek and modernized figure that looks visually pleasing. ER Starscream seems to lack as much paint, especially in the shoulder vents, the torso flap is odd, and the face sculpt isn’t as sleek as the Siege one.
    Siege Hot Shot > Siege Hound
    - I feel that the design is more youthful and compliments Hot Shot more than it does Hound. Plus, bonus points for not being another G1 figure.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Cosmoglide

Cosmoglide NA W4Y W3 60

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This isn't exclusively directed at the new Bumblebee, but I seriously do not understand the fixation on "toon accuracy" that permeates this franchise. i remember being baffled by it when Takara rolled out their Unite Warriors sets. "Hey, cool, it's Blast Off as a shuttle with an absolutely atrocious deco based on sweat shop animation that was cranked out as fast as humanly possible". Seriously, the Sunbow cartoon, as much as it is the foundation of my fandom, should never be used as a bible for character design. Now we've got that new Bumblebee that is essentially a shell former hiding an action master. Grats to everyone who is excited to get him, but holy crap, from any angle except straight on, he looks like garbage. Then you've got Jetfire who was shown a dozen different heights, but sure, let's go with the one that has him at twice the size of everyone else. That isn't ridiculous. I love the design and the deco but I would love him more at the same leader scale the last Jetfire came out at. I grew up with G1, but for some reason, I'm not and have never been some purist about being accurate to the show. I just want cool looking toys.

mods here are pretty good at shutting down really ugly threads, so that helps keep it under control. other than that, I'll keep it vague and say that there are certain specific discussions that will absolutely bring out some people who make me wish there was a proper block option that let me forget they exist.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    This is the best official Galvatron mould we've gotten.

IMG_20191011_193426.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Now THAT is how you do an Unpopular Opinion. Bravo, you magnificent bastard.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Dont like afa tfs its weird seing them like that

• Like Like x 3
  16. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

I think the Earthrise line looks like it'll do a great job of being "mini-Masterpiece," but for that very reason I think I'll be passing on a lot of the figures. CHUG's main appeal to me has always been modernized G1, not just G1 with articulation. The Cybertronian alt-modes and the idea of battle damage made Siege distinctive enough for me to not mind its accuracy to the cartoon robot modes, (especially if you add full battle damaged custom paintjobs instead of removing what little there is) but now CHUG is just becoming straight up G1 - which isn't inherently bad for every figure, mind you. Starscream and Cliffjumper look like they stepped right out of the cartoon, and they look great, but Grapple and Hoist look like they stepped right out of the show too, which is a bad thing because they were ugly mofos. I might be down for one more Jazz or Hound in Earthrise, but not bots like Windcharger and Cosmos. Not everyone got to look good in G1. Make no mistake, I think the line'll be great, but not all of it will be for me. Just my preference for CHUG.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    I love the look of grey fists.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Kaynowa

Kaynowa Will defend even Armada Side Swipe

Classics/Universe 2 > Generations

19. YellowCorvette

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    • While far from ideal, 400 USD for MP Optimus Prime v3 isn't the worst deal ever. It's far from the best deal out there but with MP Optimus Prime v3, you're getting the ultimate official G1 toon Optimus Prime figure with cool accessories, awesome articulation, premium paintjob from head to toe, voicebox gimmick with various dialogue sounds, high parts count, highly detailed transformation, incredible engineering, and shelf presence unlike any other official MPs out there. With a figure that has so much going on, there's no way the price tag will be lower than 200 USD. (In fact, I'll say that the 800 USD for the Lego UCS Millennium Falcon v2.0 is a slightly worse deal)
    • I find the Wreckers in most of their incarnations to be boring.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

I love Prowl (and it's mold), and the empty legs are due to transformation, they aren't "cheap" gaps, so I don't mind them compared to many other figures that have actual empty sections... ended up getting the kits for Ultra Magnus (makes a huge difference, especially the shoulder towers), and Soundwave's hand/wrist panel... I hate such gaps that a simple panel could fix for that.

Easy and cheap shoulder cannons:

Get yourself an extra Firedrive, wire cutters, then a gentle and easy squeeze with pliers and you get:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a bit of paint and you can do this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same for this guy but note that you will need to file the "connector" a bit to get it to fit correctly, but worth the trouble, and the paint is a bit different (red at just the tip):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 4