Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

Redwing allows me to enjoy the Siege seeker mold for what it is without thinking about how bad I want F15 Seekers of this quality. (Redwing isn't a seeker in my headcanon.) Well, articulation and plastic quality at least . The altmode is passable at best, with a little tweaking.

Here's a seemingly unpopular opinion: the Sunbow Cybertronians modes should be made into toys with new robot modes, or not at all. If we get a new Wheeljack with an awesome robot mode and a shell of a not very good-looking vehicle mode I might literally cry.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

No one is playing victim card. You're the one decrying anyone wanting anything else "until we get all of G1" or until we wait 30 years like you and Skyfire even though you've had multiple releases of Jetfire prior anyway.

No one is denying data. I don't even remember seeing the Beast Wars 10th Anniversary every come in stock, but it was also a release of molds that were about 10 years old at the time. Dated re-releases don't have that much selling power. This is easily seen with how often the G1 re-releases have been clogging stores. I've seen herds of G1 Optimus Prime on rollback but, no, G1 sells. Hasbro isn't answering the market, they're defining it. They release G1 as the mainstay no matter what, which means that yes, sales are going to always show G1 as more popular by default. When you're looking at roughly 12 or so individual releases across a decade compared to the amount of Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron, and Starscream alone in that same time frame, it's literally impossible for those individual blips to remotely compare in sales even if they sold out instantly.

...man, see, I still can't get that. That Seeker mold seems like easily the weakest thing in Siege, and this is coming from someone who outright loves Soundwave's dropship mode. At least he attempts to transform, rather than just hide under a backpack of plane shell.

• Like Like x 4
  3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, many successful companies have gotten there by dictating consumer behaviour.......

You think the dropship mode is strong with this one?

Ahahahahaha !
    Yeah, that clarifies a lot.

Thanks for making my day, comedy gold !

4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    So basically you have no clue how the market works, how sales data works, or why a multimillion dollar corporation that lives for profit passes up on what you seem to think is a sure sell.

Things like Cheetor are feelers in the market to see if they can spam the BW button. Same with every other non-G1 thing done in Classics or any other line for that matter. The BW things in TFA are a good example as well. It's also why it took so long to get full sets of Dinobots rather than just Grimlock.

• Like Like x 2
  5. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's an Unpopular one, given the current discussion: the Classics line is due for a rebranding of some kind. Kill the "Generations" brand just so we don't have to hear the whole "it's supposed to be Generations" whining when the UT people get mad that their mediocre designs from their mediocre shows don't get new toys.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero AFA/VGA/TRPG Collector

Here is what I have learned from those who speak English and do so in forums: Things that Dragga have said make sense because I have been following the international end of this market since the end of January, 2011. And things that knoted have said also make sense on a national level, while saying something that does not reflect the actual statement. And that the one/s I will not mention being a prime example on why mature collectors and fans with fully-functioning brain cells tend to avoid fan-created places like this one.

So to me what you said is as understandable as it is unpopular. Bear with me on this while ignoring the fact I will not say if the last statement is meant to be singular or plural.

If you take my preferences you will find that budget aside, I am neither a fan of Hasbro's past works and the current Generations line. I grew up, albeit very sparsely, on the original Generation One toys. So my ties to that was more the animated series than the rest that was offered. Plus any interest in the Unicron Trilogy was sporadic at best since I was more interested in the handling of said trilogy than anything else. So when you compare their works to what Takara (and later TakaraTomy) has/had to offer, you should also see why I am not currently interested in Generations.

That is all I am going to say since everything else I have to say might offend those who believe their opinion matter more than anything else. :popcorn 

7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I wouldn't put it that way. At all. I feel quite a few of their designs need a do over, and I don't think they'll have trouble moving at retail, not any more than kids would want current Generations figs. The only issue I'd see is soccer moms or shopping dads not identifying the characters as the A/E/C kids haven't aged up to that point, I don't think.

What's funny is your last line. The disagreement with me that you are so coyly hinting at without the courage to call it out directly revolved SOLELY around your dismissal of anything that wasn't TakTomy specific. An elitist attempting to take non-elitists to task for being elitists is about the most entertaining thing I've seen on this site in a long time.

8. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Except it is called Generations and is supposed to be generations. I know that it must be upsetting that not everyone wants constant rehashes of just one show and instead want content from other shows, but oh well. How awful. /s

Of course, the more I think about it. Since Hasbro seems intent on focusing on just one generation, they should rebrand the Classics line. Or, at least, rename the line Generation One.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  9. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Jesus this place turned into a bigger shit show than the Hasbro Unicron thread. Between the lack of basic business knowledge, the "HasTak should produce figures I want" entitlement whining, and the "if we had to suffer, y'all should suffer" mentality, I've seen less ignorance and childish mudslinging in a kindergarten sandbox.
    Maybe I can unite you all in your hatred of my comments so we can stop reading about insufferable 1st World problem drivel and get back to more important things like discussing how obviously lazy G1/PotP Hun-Gurr is as a design. I mean his transformation is to basically lay him on his back and put his arms behind his head!

• Like Like x 10
  10. Some_Gamer_Dude

Some_Gamer_Dude Member

I actually don't mind if Generations just does Gen 1 forever at this point, so long as they do all of Gen 1, including and especially the Euro 1991 line, the best year of Gen 1.

I say this because, honestly? Most every remake of something from G2 onwards has been worse than the original. Looks worse, is frustrating, looses functionality, ect. Most of the toys from BW onwards just need a few mods, not redesigns, and the budget simply isn't there to make a toy as good as something from G2, BW, BM or AEC.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Me either, but I cut up that awful Target Red Card years ago and am not getting another for a $30 toy that's a repaint. lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets!

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    Based on a coloring error in a random comic to boot! But it seems this fandom has a hard-on for whatever seeker mold is out at the time (funny because aside from Starscream, most of the seekers were given very little in the way of personality, until they made Thundercracker a dog-loving playwrite or something...) Remember how many times that Classics Seeker mold was made?

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I do remember, because I have all of them that were made LOL. That's why I'm not going nuts on this one. plus it's and OK at best representation of the tetra jet and in robot mode I can't stand the legs and feet.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Wait, liking the dropship mode on Soundwave over the not even remotely trying alt mode on Screamer somehow makes everything I've said pointless? Jesus, talk about egocentric, pal.

The idea of testing the market would apply more if it were actually given more chances. By the same logic, again, the Beast Wars re-releases are about as successful as the G1 re-releases. Hasbro makes the decisions on what to make into toys. They have made the market. If you want a good measure of how something that isn't G1 sells, look at how the Movies did. Despite 12 years of bitching from hardcore Geewunners over them, they were huge, commercial successes without relying on just being a rehash of the old designs. Enough so that Studio Series is running and selling well still. Hasbro hasn't given a lot of attention to the other Generations, and due to that the marketing will always have numbers skewed in a bias against those attempts. Hell, look at what happened with Optimal Optimus. Was a fan vote winner over a mostly G1 roster (even beating out the highly demanded Star Saber as I recall), highly anticipated, and then barely managed to get itself released going by the stories from most collectors (and myself; I think I had to actually order one from Japan to finally get him because he was never available almost anywhere else I checked).

The Dinobots also barely had representation in the toylines, and I actually would wager more that it was because their names have been hard to trademark. PoTP finally got them through by making their official names all start with "Dinobot" for trademarking. Though, for what seems a weirdly unpopular opinion there: I really liked PoTP Grimlock. He looks like Grimlock, and about the only thing I could fault him for is being a bit short, but I can live with Grimlock going from towering to basically Wolverine height. Only fault I could have is just that the Dinobots didn't get melee weapons, but 3P items solved that at least. Dinobot Megazord is go.

• Like Like x 4
  15. mtkinley

mtkinley Member

Ehhh, I feel like some of the Armada toys could use some remakes (maybe Energon too, given how weighted down with gimmicks they often were), simply because so many of them are just bricks with so little articulation

• Like Like x 3
  16. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

Indeed some of them need redone, that's not even opinion. Armada Demolishor, Armada Hot Shot, and Armada Sideways are at the top of my personal list. Oh and Cybertron Override of course.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero AFA/VGA/TRPG Collector

So you find it entertaining to be the proverbial teapot that always needs an "excuse" to call the teapot black. Gotcha.

My statement is based on anybody that collects anything, acts like their self-entitlement needs to be appeased, and have to make overgrown child-like insults when it is not. But, then again, you are worse seeing how you were willing to mock both me and the fact I have Asperger's in 2016. I mean it must be fun making the fact I am technically Autistic be a joke, right? Point being, I don't act like you when somebody collects anything that is outside my interests. That is where your claims are so ironic that they can be seen as a punch-line.

But hey... I support collectors when they act like collectors. Like when you talk about how your kids have an interest in your toys. It must be "elitist" of me to find that to be far more interesting than the latest piece of Japanese G1 fiction. Or is admitting that also me being condescending to you? I am not sure because you are the first person to call me an "elitist" when all I have done is support everybody else's collecting habits while working on my own. Something you would have known if you did not act like you also need give yourself self-imposed double standards here.

Hence why I am on the same boat with @TranslucentBag when it comes to the way you and others are acting here. Because this is a forum with rules, not an online kindergarten that is in desperate need of adult supervision for those who think an anonymous account will excuse their otherwise socially unacceptable behavior. :redface2: 

Please say there are more like you in this forum. Unless you think I am too much of an "elitist" because I only collect what interests me. Then I will be willing to be glad you are the only one while keeping the reason why I chose what I own to myself. :scalper 

Moving on...

Both of you add me to the list of those who agree with this. And I will not say more seeing how my opinion might have me come off as being "elitist". :p 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2019
  18. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

You know, I fully agree with you on Hun-Gurr's transformation. I'm not sure what could be done to spice it up without being potentially well past the budgeting for most figures on retail releases, though. Maybe not starting with the skeleton from CW Silverbot's equally lazy engineering could help...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    While it may be lazy, the transformation gives his dragon necks really good articulation and I always appreciate a well-articulated beast mode-especially one as cool as a two-headed dragon!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Kaynowa

Kaynowa Will defend even Armada Side Swipe

So, to kinda piggyback off of the.. peaceful discourse for the past few pages.. There shouldn't be an argument that BW-UT are deserving of proper revisits. The figures are not to today's standards in the least, save for a few standout Cybertron figures, but all of them could use the 1-2 decade's worth of improvements and refinements that the franchise has had. I'd argue that their main casts should be more important to get redone and out there than a lot of G1 characters because they had so little fiction. I'm not asking for, you know, Beast Machines Mirage or Cybertron Downshift, but with how many optimuses and megatrons and bumblebees have come out, you'd think they could've spared that for the countless other iterations. Literally every optimus between 1987 to 2009 would've been a more effortless fit into the PotP leader than G1 with their proclivity to super modes. RiD Prime would be great for a Siege redo with Ultra Magnus bearing his brother's alt mode, yet we get a shoehorned Cybertron Prime that isn't even faithful to Cybertron Prime. It's honestly astounding that anyone thinks what post-G1 gets is "good enough" and they should be content.

• Like Like x 2