Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    Opinion: They're doing a half-ass job with Micromasters. The half we ARE getting are better than their G1 counterparts, the problem is that half of each team and all the bases/stations/etc. that MADE MM's so cool and unique and brought me *back* from "TF Died With Optimus" have just been casually discarded like... well, a broken toy.

2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, then you would have a BW or G2 Laser Prime in this line, plastered full of Siege Cybertronian relief sculpt and battle damage paint apps. That's gonna be well received by fans.... ( you already got the G2 Prime in Titans Return at voyager class btw ).

Also...you got upcoming Siege figures like the Powerdashers Zetar. Looks freaking amazing, even moreso than that purple Brunt imo.
    Dont tell me that isnt different enough.

Anyway, it is the way it is ; which is doing great. You can either roll with that, or move on to other things.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Different areas apparently. I have pictures of a Walmart in my area that had pegs full of Tankor and Rattrap during Titans Return, and it wasn't the only store around that had them parked.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Stagnation is an issue when it's a franchise that has had so many eras and continuities but insists on regulating anything past the first iteration to basically cameos. It's not an insane idea to think a line called "Generations" should do more outside of a single Generation more often. It shouldn't be considered a "Take it or leave it" mentality, and I'm frankly shocked that attitude remains. G1 has had constant representation since Classics started. Many collectors bemoan the idea of yet another Optimus or Megatron. Many collectors now are ones to whom Beast Wars and the Unicron trilogy are they're "G1". All I'm saying is that Hasbro has no reason not to broaden the horizon. Brand recognition has already been established. There's no reason to constantly recycle the story and characters of G1 into every facet of the franchise anymore, simple as that. Mix it up. It's like comparing to Power Rangers. Fans get tired of Mighty Morphin', and constantly hope to see more than just that brought in, but everyone keeps the mentality of "Nostalgia is successful, tho" even though it's completely misrepresented in this formula of success because the numbers get skewed when a single era is the most prolific one being offered. The BW and UT toys could sell like mad, but when those are outnumbered dozens to one in favor of G1 character releases, there's just no way for those numbers to reflect accurately.

And most of them sold out for me. Multiple stores, and I think the longest lasting figure I've ever seen was Titans Return Bumblebee. Whirl never seemed to move in Thrilling 30s. Also TR Seaspray didn't seem to get any love, to the point that I considered buying him just due to how frequently he was constantly on shelves everywhere and never seemed to move much...

• Like Like x 2
  5. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    I’m sorry, but I get such a good laugh at how G1 fans have hypocritically adopted the “You’ll just have to get over it or move on” talking point that they claimed to hate when Bay fans would use it on them. It’s sort of ironic being told to “Get over it or move on” by the same portion of the fan base that legit complained for twelve years straight because the films didn’t remind them of their childhoods. Heaven forbid Hasbro broaden their scopes and include various generations and continuities in the line called Generations.

• Like Like x 3
  6. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    They did. Repeatedly. You know what their reward was? Shelfwarming. Hasbro is able to track sales specifically to each toy, so they know who does or doesn't sell. If the non-G1 Generations figures had been moving, they'd see a revenue stream and spam that button like a profit crazed corporation. Ironic, since that is what they are. The fact that they seem pensive about doing other continuities yet keep trying should speak volumes: Warden isn't the BoogieGEEWUNNERman that everyone accuses him of being, and that Hasbro doesn't see the return on said figures to justify a full swing.

• Like Like x 4
  7. knoted

News Credits:
    You'd think they' d be sick of yet another Prime or another Seeker eh ?

Well, proof is in the pudding;
    General collector consensus seems to indicate Siege Prime is deemed the one to finally replace their original CHUG Prime. TR Prime didn't have it in him, nor did CW voyager Prime or ones prior.
    Similar thing goes for the Seekers ; they' re all lapping up that tetra jet mold like crazy. They must be crazy to do so, right ? ( the leader class CW Seekers didn't even come close to the success of these Siege Seekers )

No.

Factually, Hasbro hasn't done their market research for bogus reasons. This is what the market craves for. Your own stories of local retail are simply just........ anecdotal.

But as I said earlier, there are factual signs that late G1 characters are going to make their appearance soon; which is an era, many collectors are not that familiar with since they seemingly lost interest in Transformers after Sunbow season 3.
    Those late G1's go full on, in terms of experimentation and variety.

But here's a sincerely well intended idea for you ;
    You could,
    ...you know,
    ...you could simply buy some Transformers and mix it up with other lines like Voltron, the new Gobots and plenty of other transforming toy lines with beast modes or wildly bizarre altmodes ; and just display them together under your own fan narrative. Shouldn't be too hard these days to get them all in relatively decent scale together either.

8. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    If they actually released decent non-G1 Generations figures instead of half assed repaints/remolds, then the non-G1 Generations figures would move. Sorry, but other generations simply aren’t given the chance. Given that BW Masterpiece figures are selling pretty well, I have a hard time believing that Beast Wars figures wouldn’t sell. I wish the Hasbro of the last 90’s was still around. They were willing to take risks back then. Now a days, they barely even glance at other portions of the TF brand.

As someone who was born in the late 90’s and missed out on Beast Wars and the Unicron trilogy, it’s become increasingly frustrating that those universes continue to wait in the wings because Hasbro is too scared to actually venture away from G1.

• Like Like x 3
  9. knoted

News Credits:
    Patience, young padawan.

We ,fromt the late 70's generation have had to wait 3 decades for a proper Generations Skyfire for example.

Your time will come in due time.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

The Classics Seeker mold did just as well. Siege Optimus is a solid figure, but there's been no shortage of selection for a CHUG Prime. There's no reason to gatekeep and try to say those wanting more than G1 need to wait their turn until all of G1 has had a go. Hasbro's not really doing any marketing research on what sells, they're releasing what they will. We've had G1 releases steadily for over 12 years now. It's not that G1 sells, it's that if you want Hasbro Transformers at reliably at all you have to aim for G1 characters. No, it shouldn't be considered an acceptable alternative to go and grab Voltron and other such to pretend they're characters I'd be happily throwing money at Hasbro for. The main line is literally called Generations. Plural. The fact that you can even pick and choose what Optimus, Seekers, or even Jetfire you like best over the multitude of releases where as Beast Wars fans have barely seen any character get a Generations figure in about 5 years beyond that Optimal Optimus. This shouldn't be a game of elitism and "wait your turn" directed at whole eras of the fandom. It shouldn't have to be an "unpopular opinion" to think Hasbro could stand to better mix up their offerings.

There's no reason to take the stance of "I haven't gotten all that I want, why should you get a chance" like this. Hell, there's even some G1 ideas I'd like to see get done/reimagined, like some of the Pretenders given the treatment Bludgeon has gotten, to work their shells' designs into their robot mode (or beast mode, where applicable). Like I said, mix it up. Bring back the series' flexibility. Let waves have a mix of different eras among them, celebrate the Generations, not just that one Generation and only that one.

11. knoted

News Credits:
    And your point is ? Those are moreso G1 than the Siege Seekers.
    Fact is, people have been craving for a proper tetra jet representation of the Seekers combined with a G1 robot mode, modern articulation and play patterns included.

Again, you're oblivious to the point that many, consider this Siege Prime to be the one worthy to be the successor to 2006 CHUG Prime.
    So while there have been plenty of CHUG Prime's inbetween ( I consider triple changing TR voyager Prime a very decent Prime ), this Siege Prime, is what a lot of folks wanted.
    Go ahead, make a poll and gauge if a majority of collectors is willing to part with their Siege Prime, in favor of CW Prime, TR Prime or PotP Prime. I can already tell you the poll result now....

The irony is that you're suggesting a very singular interpretation of what "Generations" should be. It's like saying "You shouldn't deviate from this single formula, or else it's not Generations anymore".

And, why isn't it acceptable for you to grab a Voltron or a Powerdasher for your Generations collection ? ( Hint : the market isn't the limiting factor.....the collector himself IS ).
    You want totally different characters under common product umbrella, but you're not willing to put a common umbrella over totally different toy characters :poke .

No it's anything but elitism. It's simply the very real world of the market. Otherwise you'd see heaps of 3P companies jumping the BW and UT bandwagons ; but reality is, those aren't present in the market demand...at least not to the extent you're suggesting.

Also, isn't it a bit childish to dismiss or not acknowledge the fair amount of non-G1 chracater releases you have gotten throughout the past decade all the way up until now ?
    Lazy repaints, lazy remolds ? They've often gotten better treatments than G1-centric characters who were far overdue for a proper revamp.

You were saying? ( Wonderfest 2019 )
    [​IMG]

This statement couldn't be more delusional.

You could keep on telling yourself that years of Hasbro fanvote campaigns and Hasbro marketing teams are NOT doing their job...

• Like Like x 4
  12. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're not understanding just how idiotic an idea it is to tell someone "Just go buy a Voltron and pretend it's [insert character]" but defend that there's not been a single shortage of official options for G1 staples like Optimus. My point is, whether you think Siege Prime is the DEFINITIVE Prime or not, there's been enough options to have that discussion. Countless fans want official options to be able to have the characters they grew up with represented. We're talking about the Transformers toyline. Voltron isn't going to resemble anyone. A Megazord isn't. Don't be dense and condescending. This isn't even the first time a Tetrajet design has been done on an official retail release, and frankly, it's an incredibly weak mold, suffering from all the same shortcomings that every jet Transformer seems to suffer these days.

You also use an example of yet another toy of G1 Optimus (Star Convoy is still G1 Prime, and has the inner robot designed to be the G1 Prime design) beside an Armada Prime that we have literally seen no news on since that Wonderfest despite much anticipation from the fan base. Again, the focus continues to be on G1 even when there's an outpouring of demand for more. Look at the PotP poll. Optimus Primal won. Fans do speak out for their wants, but unless they demand more of the same, it gets drowned out. Masterpiece is showing the support for Beast Wars is very much there. People are just trying to get them to start putting it back into the mainline retail releases. I've repeatedly acknowledged the non-G1 characters that manage to slip in, and pointed out how rare they are. Quit trying to gatekeep and pull the "true fan" routine. When have we gotten a complete update to the Beast Wars cast? The UT core cast? Hell, we've literally not seen the RiD2001 characters/designs come back outside of a simple reissue that was plagued with quality control issues so bad that Takara outright apologized publicly for the mess. If I can take the time to actually read your comments, at least do me the same respect.

This isn't something to act so defensive over, anyway. You act like more regularly mixing in the other Generations would actually hurt you in some way. You have plenty of choices in your collection and always will. Let others voice that they'd want to have as many options as you do without trying to squeeze in that you're somehow the one lacking because oh no, only one of the 6 or 7 Optimus Prime toys released in the last few years was good enough for you.

13. knoted

News Credits:
    I have no problems with any of that, but apparently there are not enough voices in the market demand for what you want.

I'm certainly not the guy preventing that....

• Like Like x 1
  14. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Rattrap
    Waspinator
    Rhinox
    Tankor
    Sky Byte
    Hot Shot
    Dinobot
    Cheetor
    Armada Starscream

Just off the top of my head the list of non-repaint/remold non-G1 characters.

15. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Then you can stop acting like we don't have the right to voice those wants. The demand in the market is scarce because of sheer lack of numbers to support it.

And from my standpoint, that's rather pitiful as a selection all things considered.
    Cheetor: 11 years old as a release with no update in the main Generations banner
    Dinobot: 10 years old as a release with no update in the main Generations banner
    Hot Shot: 11 years old as a release with the newest update being just a new head and paint scheme on Siege Hound
    Armada Starscream: Came 6 years after Hot Shot, comics portrayed it as G1 Screamer's new body anyway
    Sky-Byte: 5 years old as a release with no other RiD2015 releases to show with him
    Tankor: 5 years old with no other Beast Machines releases in the line
    Rhinox and Rattrap: 5 years old, and while basically perfect modern toys of the characters, highlight that they didn't have anyone else from the cast get a similarly improved updated toy to complete the cast
    Waspinator: 6 years old and an oddity for getting a small targetmaster prior, too, but also again highlights that we wouldn't see them try to complete even the core Beast Wars cast of Maximals and Predacons
    Armada Megatron: Was a repaint with a new head of CW Megatron
    Siege Galaxy Upgrade Optimus: Is still G1 Optimus with UT flavor
    Siege Ultra Magnus: ...has RiD2001's alt mode? Are we counting that?

To say it never happens is hyperbole, but consider that within that same time frame of roughly 11 years, that small pool has nearly been equally matched just by the number of releases G1 Optimus Prime has seen alone.

To actually add an on topic "Unpopular Opinion" bit: I really don't understand why that Siege Seeker mold is considered so good. Is it just the novelty of saying "Look, an official tetrajet that's got curves"? The alt mode borders on being a separate accessory to the robot entirely and I just can't understand the appeal. I'll likely end up with one just due to a buddy really wanting Acid Storm's eye-melting greenness, and I'll likely help secure that three pack and keep Ion Storm just to experience the mold on my own better, but maaaaaaaaan. It constantly shocks me to see so many people going crazy over it and trying to nab all of them while still hoping for more repaints.

• Like Like x 4
  16. knoted

News Credits:
    That's YOUR interpretation - that's on you.
    I'm only echoing the logic behind the consumer demand as it has shaped the Generations line as it is now.

As far as I'm concerned you may scream your wish as hard and long as you want and bemoan Hasbro for the supposedly, abysmally stagnant state of Transformers,
    but it changes nothing about the market scenario as it is; in which demand & supply has shaped these Generations Trilogy lines, which sprinkle non-G1 here and there.

In short ; you didn't voice hard enough with your wallet and not in sufficient numbers either ( which is understandably, outside of your control ).

But yeah... go on and play the victim card....

• Like Like x 1
  17. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    There's a difference between voicing wants and denying data.

Were you around during the BW 10th anniversary? When the entire line got clearanced? The fact that they keep making things despite the lack of mass retail interest should be lauded. MP gets made because it caters to smaller numbers at a premium price, it doesn't need the Hasbro retail level numbers of sales to be considered successful.

This one is because the fandom has some sort of obsession with the thought of voyager Seekers.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    The Three-Pack of siege seekers look like unpainted knockoffs. There I said it! I could forgive the piercing colors if they had some black or silver to add contrast. They are a shining example of why adhering to the colorschemes of generic one-off characters from a 30-odd year old cartoon isn't a good idea.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I agree, I don't like the mold enough to buy anything beyond the three main guys, SS, TC & SW. The classics mold still holds that place in my heart for the seekers. lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Tumblr:
    And I don't get the appeal of red starscre- I mean Redwing.

• Like Like x 1