Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro did have a somewhat exploratory phase, going between Beast Wars, to Beast Machines, to Armada, Energon, and Cybertron.

What happened since then, though, is that companies started becoming a lot more savvy to the power of brand and character recognition. That, coupled with Hasbro regaining ownership of a number of key trademarks (Bumblebee) pushed the brand back towards a more standardized "core cast" and a less experimental attitude.

• Like Like x 2
  2. killcrites

killcrites Active Member

Ebay:
    I'm not entirely sure what the general consensus on the figure is these days, but I know there was a lot of negativity surrounding it when it was first released, but Thrilling 30 Tankor is fucking amazing. Like, yeah, he's small but he's still a great representation of an awesome character design. Transformation and the tank mode are both lots of fun too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not opposed to this, Looks-wise, I like the inner core but the TR Hotdog is fundamentally a better figure.

4. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Oh $#!* what are we gonna do now?

I don’t own the POTP Rodimus however my mate does and even he agrees with this opinion too. It fits better with my CHUG style anyway and more recent Siege stuff imo.

He just keeps his in Rodimus mode

5. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, I use him as a rodimus stand-in 20190829_103733.jpg due to his hight to Magnus. I plan on painting him Magenta

• Like Like x 7
  6. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

in for grumpy bots. 2017-10-05-21-01-06.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    After donating T30 Springer to my daughter to make room for Siege Springer I've come to the conclusion that the T30 mold kind of sucks. Now I'm REALLY hoping they hammer out a new Sandstorm model soon.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Is that the Henkei version? That color scheme absolutely spanks the one we got over here.

9. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

Asia Hasbro

• Like Like x 1
  10. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    I happen to like cute transformers too. Not like chibi, but cute. Shuffler, Heros, Rescue Bots, the Hallmark plushies. I'm alright with them not looking like they wanna rip each other's heads off.

• Like Like x 3
  11. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Currently got no idea what to put here...

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I think while RTS Jazz is an competent figure, it's quite a flawed figure with its chest never locks in place at all, making the figure less fun that it needs to be.

• Like Like x 3
  12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say that's a pretty universal opinion on that toy, not an uncommon one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    This is true. For me, going nastalgia only with these toy lines feels like we’re moving backwards.

The siege line is mostly well built, but it’s starting to bore the shit out of me. I miss the weird stuff Hastak used to do, like powercore combiners or the off screen characters in the movie lines. I want creativity, I like an interesting gimmick or at least interesting character choices like Titans Return and the like.

I’m in my 30’s. I’ve been an avid collector since at least 2008, though I was buying things here and there between childhood and college. The thing that keeps me here is change, not stagnancy; and the strict adherence to nastalgia across all three lines is really hurting my enjoyment

• Like Like x 3
  14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    There was plenty of innovation in late G1 : Pretenders, Ultra Pretenders, Mega Pretenders, Micromaster Bases etc.

Those lot are up for revamp, by chronological year order.

Dont dismiss them, just like a lot of US Geewunners lost interest right after season 3 cartoon. G1 1988 - 1991 is where the experimental fun is at.

And this brings me to the core of my unpopular opinion : which is that imo, people are way to dismissive & way too unappreciative of that late G1 stuff.

Sure, going by just the toy form execution, the technical limitations back then are obvious - but as a concept, the late G1 stuff is very invigorating.
    Pretenders in general, are highly underrated imo. Lots of their era peers who combine robotic sculpt with organically sculpted limbs are fantastic candidates to let such concept truly come to life with today' s engineering.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  15. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Late g1 is the kind of creativity I’m talking about. It’s generally my favorite era of g1 stuff.
    I love how experimental it got and I generally love masterforce. It’s probably the reason I like the Titans Return line so much.

What I’m frustrated by is that we are in this era right now where it feels like 75 percent of the classic style toys are the 84/85 cast. The kids cartoon is focused on a very specific cast. And the movie stuff is pretty focused on the past as well.

Where’s the new? Where’s the creativity? At least siege is starting to spread out a bit with Apeface and Spinister. But I want to see new stories and new characters, I want to see new designs and new ideas.

• Like Like x 6
  16. knoted

News Credits:
    Exactly.

Personally, I'm optimistic ; I think they gauged popularity of quite a few Pretenders with the PotP Titanmasters .... TR Apeface to the Siege Apeface we' ll be getting, is a good example case of that theory.

The individual shells of the Monstructor combiner are nothing short of gloriously bizarre creations, which I think would look fantastic with today's engineering.

Let' s also not forget guys like the sparkabots and of course DoubleDealer's organic-robotic eagle mode either.

But I get your initial concern ; they always paste a line full with the season 1&2 characters - but I think that's the necessary thing to do since those will always sell...those are the sales which will enable exploration of the more obscure and experimental characters in this line.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero AFA/VGA/TRPG Collector

In both Hasbro and TakaraTomy's defense the line-up feels like they are doing a "definitive edition" when it comes to creating a new G1 continuity. Which means that 'Siege' will be new versions of the 1984-1986 cast, with those from the 1987 cast making some type of appearance. But it also means that Parts 2 and 3 should be giving us more of that 1987-1988 feel the rest of us want. :) 

But at this point I want both my brain and budget to agree with a direction I should go with my current attempt when it comes to building a proper JG1 Transformers collection. :p 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

See, this point I constantly argue against because Hasbro repeatedly mentions trying to keep the toys aimed at a primary demographic of kids who have very little connection to the original characters. Most of the time, the toys sell regardless of who, and then classic characters end up frequently being shelfwarmers. The appeal to older fans has never really proved a lasting market, and I believe Hasbro once said explicitly as such, which is a part of why the live-action films helped so much. Broadening the scope of the audience. I'd look at Rescue Bots as an example of how little the original cast means to younger fans. While it's true there's still a market towards older fans, I don't think it's reason enough to justify such an adamant sticking to the same pool of characters time and time again, and they can definitely afford to do more along the lines of branching out their character selections. Not to mention a bunch of these characters, for the sake of trademarks, have alternate incarnations they could also use rather than G1. Optimus? You've got RiD2001, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, and Animated as designs to pull from for an example rather than just sticking to the G1 character.

Even I tend to buy less because of the characters and more based on just the quality and fun of the design. My Siege purchases so far are Hound, Sixgun, Cog, Brunt, and Soundwave. Soundwave is the only one I've remotely touched because of nostalgia, as the others are fairly unknown to me due to my G1 experience being limited to what my dad could find and bring me on VHS for the cartoon. But they're also really fun toys, and that's my main appeal. I feel Hasbro could easily be more experimental with the character selection, especially in a line called "Generations", not "Generation 1".

Though, I'll also be fair to Hasbro in that a lot of the G1 characters haven't had a toy in recent years that wasn't part of a gimmick that was kinda alien to the character. Like, I think the last Optimus Prime we got that did nothing but focus on being Optimus (no combiner, no headmaster, etc) was...what, the old Classics mold? So not entirely without reason for the choices, just still could afford to not be so reliant on G1 as it only really sells because it's nearly all they do. When it's the default, hard for it not to sell well just due to numbers.

19. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

I'm not going to lie, I miss Power Core Combiners.

Not to mention the fact that I have a soft spot for figures like Payload from the '07 line, but personally, at this point, I'd rather get higher quality versions of G1 characters than to get new characters with poor QC. Remember Mudslinger, Double Clutch, and even Payload? They were all notorious for poor quality.

• Like Like x 1
  20. knoted

News Credits:
    We have been getting a fair amount of nudges to these lines.

Most recent examples are the upcoming Siege HotShot and Siege Leader Class Galaxy Optimus Prime drawing from Armada and Cybetron lines respectively.
    And even though some other examples are not inspired by those lines to full extent, these do incorporate design cues from them:

- Ultra Magnus with his Rid2001 inspired truckmode
    - Siege Jetfire's lower legs & feet show mild Armade Jetfire influences
    - Siege Shockwave's armored up mode has a very 'Cybetron' vibe to it imho

Prior lines also had their fair share of influences such as:
    - Combiner Wars Armada Megatron
    - Thrilling 30 Armada Starscream

and I'm probably forgetting quite a few more....

• Like Like x 2