Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GabrielV

GabrielV Well-Known Member

I think having Dirge, Thrust, and Ramjet be "coneheads" is stupid.

Every time I saw those characters in the cartoon, I saw them portrayed as mistransformed. It was just another reason for me to disregard anything about the portrayal in the cartoon and go with the toys as primary sources. When I see people who leave the cone up on a G1 figure, it irritates me. It's like transforming a Soundblaster and leaving the legs pointed out to the side, and then calling him one of the "bowlegged".

I've made my peace with my MP versions of Thrust and Dirge. It is what it is. But it still bugs me.

• Like Like x 5
  2. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

As a kid I spent hours in toy aisles reading character bios deciding who to get next. The characterization really sold them. Not just Transformers, several other lines too. Toy companies have lost sight of how much personality that adds to individual figures.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    I like Springer's colors a lot, but something about him just makes me pass him up everytime.

4. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

I can't like the mainline Refraktor figure.

I'll probably build a custom out of the one I already bought.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

Totally the same page Bruder. Loved spending my tag along Parental supermarket visits, sat on the carpet floor, pulling the likes of Starscream, Hound, Mirage, Jazz from the shelf of the massive toy section for half an hour of imaginative bliss looking at the box art over and over, staring with wonder at the space fight scene and mentally recording where they sat on their tech spec levels. Being Primes chief field commander made me appreciate him more, using his logic scrambling flaws against the likes of Frenzy and Rumble, being a great achilles heel.

Don't say that I've got three on back order.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Evan Wellens

Evan Wellens Hyped for MPM Jazz!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Here's an unpopular toy opinion of mine!

Studio Series 01 Bumblebee is a perfectly fine figure, and is better than the clunker Bee repaint/retool.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Decepticreeps100

Liking this although I can't agree with you. I enjoy their just trying hard enough to not take themselves too seriously that lets audiences in on the joke. Self deprecating bunch of folks it seems. I think they might be marmite though for a section of fandom. Totally can see why though chap.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Evan Wellens

Evan Wellens Hyped for MPM Jazz!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I love those guys. I love how Soundwave is part of the band!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slagwave

Slagwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    THIS! Dear god, there ARE more of you out there!

From the very first cartoon appearance of those 3 (Dirge was easily my favorite), my brothers and I scratched our heads in bewilderment at their laughably stupid configuration meant, I imagine, to differentiate them from "the old guard" of seekers.

Every week I waited to see if the animators would correct their goofy error and every week I walked away just as perplexed.

It feels good to be part of a family again...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Decepticreeps100

G1 seekers with their cones transformed in an orthodox fashion (i. e. down behind head) suggests the modern UK tabloid stereotype of n'aer do wells in crumbling estates and shopping centres across Britain. Ex PM David Cameron urged us to hug a hoodie, when it was always this, kids are bored with normal life and are trying to express themselves by dressing up like every one else in ill fitting nylon hooded sportswear. Even the middle class ones try and look like the tough kids in the street.
    I think that's exactly the same as the seekers tbh, Peer Pressure.
    We should applaud the cone heads for breaking out of this rut of looking alike, oh.
    Wait a minute, so you all want to be coneheads now is it? I give up, youth of today etc etc...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

I plan on ordering the Refraktor three-pack. (I would never pass up an opportunity to get those)

• Like Like x 1
  12. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Beast Wars is Generation 1!

While G1 fans keep asking for remakes of the post 1987 characters, in my opinion I really do not think ANY of them are more relevant compared to the Beast Wars characters who actually are core characters in a main series cartoon; the exception are fans who grew up watching the Japanese Anime, but still those were not on an international scale compared to Beast Wars.

• Like Like x 4
  13. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Currently got no idea what to put here...

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Maybe it just me, but I do think that the ROTF toys are way too complex for their own good.

I was actually introduced to this hobby first with the ROTF toys, and even back then I do think that those toys aren't much fun to play with due to how complicated or fiddly the transformation could be. I do prefer the more simplified transformation of the post-ROTF movie toys and CHUG figures.

• Like Like x 2
  14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    That design philosophy also affected a few of the Classics figs that were a bit too fiddly for their own good

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I find this depends on your luck with the QC. I lucked out and my SS01 is great, too!

Also SS01 has a better painted cannon :D 

16. Decepticreeps100

By rights and in character, Soundwave should be a cutting and sample hip hop DJ, pour example

• Like Like x 2
  17. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Maybe I'm biased because my band got to open for them a few weeks ago, but I think the Cybertronic Spree are both fantastic musicians and some of the nicest 'bots around. Hot Rod stays after the show to talk to fans longer than bands that aren't from another planet do, and maybe I'm a bitter old never-was but I think that sort of thing is great to see.

My new unpopular opinion is that I'm basically always going to prefer the G2 deco of something to the 'normal' one. I admit it's purely out of nostalgia, but when I was growing up my Sideswipe was red-on-black, my Jazz had a huge green music note, and my Prime came in like six different versions and usually had foam missiles. It's to the point where I put serious thought into only displaying the G2 color versions of something on my Masterpiece shelf when I can just because that's what it looked like to me. I already bought the G2 versions of Seaspray and Beachcomber, I replaced my Starscream with G2 Screamer, and I may swap out Lambor and Downbeat for their G2 colors in my Masterpiece display because that's how I remember them.

• Like Like x 5
  18. GabrielV

GabrielV Well-Known Member

I'm with you on red and black Sideswipe. Where my opinion and yours may part is on those green stickers, the spiky wheels, and that expression the MP version has.

But if it's just black lambo Sideswipe, then I'm there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

No. I'm with you, there. They're not really fun to play with or transform.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I like both! The MP version is kind of hilarious for what it is, and I like how much they pulled from G2 Sideswipe's only real fiction appearance up to that point, but I'm about to be getting the Siege G2 Sideswipe from Amazon and I don't mind the fact he's a little more downplayed in his ridiculousness.

• Like Like x 2