Unpopular toy opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotRamjet97, Mar 28, 2015.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I wouldn't put it that way. At all. I feel quite a few of their designs need a do over, and I don't think they'll have trouble moving at retail, not any more than kids would want current Generations figs. The only issue I'd see is soccer moms or shopping dads not identifying the characters as the A/E/C kids haven't aged up to that point, I don't think.

What's funny is your last line. The disagreement with me that you are so coyly hinting at without the courage to call it out directly revolved SOLELY around your dismissal of anything that wasn't TakTomy specific. An elitist attempting to take non-elitists to task for being elitists is about the most entertaining thing I've seen on this site in a long time.

2. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Except it is called Generations and is supposed to be generations. I know that it must be upsetting that not everyone wants constant rehashes of just one show and instead want content from other shows, but oh well. How awful. /s

Of course, the more I think about it. Since Hasbro seems intent on focusing on just one generation, they should rebrand the Classics line. Or, at least, rename the line Generation One.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  3. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jesus this place turned into a bigger shit show than the Hasbro Unicron thread. Between the lack of basic business knowledge, the "HasTak should produce figures I want" entitlement whining, and the "if we had to suffer, y'all should suffer" mentality, I've seen less ignorance and childish mudslinging in a kindergarten sandbox.
    Maybe I can unite you all in your hatred of my comments so we can stop reading about insufferable 1st World problem drivel and get back to more important things like discussing how obviously lazy G1/PotP Hun-Gurr is as a design. I mean his transformation is to basically lay him on his back and put his arms behind his head!

• Like Like x 10
  4. Some_Gamer_Dude

Some_Gamer_Dude Active Member

I actually don't mind if Generations just does Gen 1 forever at this point, so long as they do all of Gen 1, including and especially the Euro 1991 line, the best year of Gen 1.

I say this because, honestly? Most every remake of something from G2 onwards has been worse than the original. Looks worse, is frustrating, looses functionality, ect. Most of the toys from BW onwards just need a few mods, not redesigns, and the budget simply isn't there to make a toy as good as something from G2, BW, BM or AEC.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Me either, but I cut up that awful Target Red Card years ago and am not getting another for a $30 toy that's a repaint. lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Based on a coloring error in a random comic to boot! But it seems this fandom has a hard-on for whatever seeker mold is out at the time (funny because aside from Starscream, most of the seekers were given very little in the way of personality, until they made Thundercracker a dog-loving playwrite or something...) Remember how many times that Classics Seeker mold was made?

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I do remember, because I have all of them that were made LOL. That's why I'm not going nuts on this one. plus it's and OK at best representation of the tetra jet and in robot mode I can't stand the legs and feet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Wait, liking the dropship mode on Soundwave over the not even remotely trying alt mode on Screamer somehow makes everything I've said pointless? Jesus, talk about egocentric, pal.

The idea of testing the market would apply more if it were actually given more chances. By the same logic, again, the Beast Wars re-releases are about as successful as the G1 re-releases. Hasbro makes the decisions on what to make into toys. They have made the market. If you want a good measure of how something that isn't G1 sells, look at how the Movies did. Despite 12 years of bitching from hardcore Geewunners over them, they were huge, commercial successes without relying on just being a rehash of the old designs. Enough so that Studio Series is running and selling well still. Hasbro hasn't given a lot of attention to the other Generations, and due to that the marketing will always have numbers skewed in a bias against those attempts. Hell, look at what happened with Optimal Optimus. Was a fan vote winner over a mostly G1 roster (even beating out the highly demanded Star Saber as I recall), highly anticipated, and then barely managed to get itself released going by the stories from most collectors (and myself; I think I had to actually order one from Japan to finally get him because he was never available almost anywhere else I checked).

The Dinobots also barely had representation in the toylines, and I actually would wager more that it was because their names have been hard to trademark. PoTP finally got them through by making their official names all start with "Dinobot" for trademarking. Though, for what seems a weirdly unpopular opinion there: I really liked PoTP Grimlock. He looks like Grimlock, and about the only thing I could fault him for is being a bit short, but I can live with Grimlock going from towering to basically Wolverine height. Only fault I could have is just that the Dinobots didn't get melee weapons, but 3P items solved that at least. Dinobot Megazord is go.

• Like Like x 4
  9. mtkinley

mtkinley Well-Known Member

Ehhh, I feel like some of the Armada toys could use some remakes (maybe Energon too, given how weighted down with gimmicks they often were), simply because so many of them are just bricks with so little articulation

• Like Like x 3
  10. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

Indeed some of them need redone, that's not even opinion. Armada Demolishor, Armada Hot Shot, and Armada Sideways are at the top of my personal list. Oh and Cybertron Override of course.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

So you find it entertaining to be the proverbial teapot that always needs an "excuse" to call the teapot black. Gotcha.

My statement is based on anybody that collects anything, acts like their self-entitlement needs to be appeased, and have to make overgrown child-like insults when it is not. But, then again, you are worse seeing how you were willing to mock both me and the fact I have Asperger's in 2016. I mean it must be fun making the fact I am technically Autistic be a joke, right? Point being, I don't act like you when somebody collects anything that is outside my interests. That is where your claims are so ironic that they can be seen as a punch-line.

But hey... I support collectors when they act like collectors. Like when you talk about how your kids have an interest in your toys. It must be "elitist" of me to find that to be far more interesting than the latest piece of Japanese G1 fiction. Or is admitting that also me being condescending to you? I am not sure because you are the first person to call me an "elitist" when all I have done is support everybody else's collecting habits while working on my own. Something you would have known if you did not act like you also need give yourself self-imposed double standards here.

Hence why I am on the same boat with @TranslucentBag when it comes to the way you and others are acting here. Because this is a forum with rules, not an online kindergarten that is in desperate need of adult supervision for those who think an anonymous account will excuse their otherwise socially unacceptable behavior. :redface2: 

Please say there are more like you in this forum. Unless you think I am too much of an "elitist" because I only collect what interests me. Then I will be willing to be glad you are the only one while keeping the reason why I chose what I own to myself. :scalper 

Moving on...

Both of you add me to the list of those who agree with this. And I will not say more seeing how my opinion might have me come off as being "elitist". :p 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2019
  12. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

You know, I fully agree with you on Hun-Gurr's transformation. I'm not sure what could be done to spice it up without being potentially well past the budgeting for most figures on retail releases, though. Maybe not starting with the skeleton from CW Silverbot's equally lazy engineering could help...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    While it may be lazy, the transformation gives his dragon necks really good articulation and I always appreciate a well-articulated beast mode-especially one as cool as a two-headed dragon!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    So, to kinda piggyback off of the.. peaceful discourse for the past few pages.. There shouldn't be an argument that BW-UT are deserving of proper revisits. The figures are not to today's standards in the least, save for a few standout Cybertron figures, but all of them could use the 1-2 decade's worth of improvements and refinements that the franchise has had. I'd argue that their main casts should be more important to get redone and out there than a lot of G1 characters because they had so little fiction. I'm not asking for, you know, Beast Machines Mirage or Cybertron Downshift, but with how many optimuses and megatrons and bumblebees have come out, you'd think they could've spared that for the countless other iterations. Literally every optimus between 1987 to 2009 would've been a more effortless fit into the PotP leader than G1 with their proclivity to super modes. RiD Prime would be great for a Siege redo with Ultra Magnus bearing his brother's alt mode, yet we get a shoehorned Cybertron Prime that isn't even faithful to Cybertron Prime. It's honestly astounding that anyone thinks what post-G1 gets is "good enough" and they should be content.

• Like Like x 2
  15. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Honestly, that’s what we call being an elitist. It’s easy to disregard people’s requests and hopes for something different when almost (I say almost because Studio Series is pretty much the only part of the brand that isn’t rehashing G1) an entire brand is catering to you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kaynowa

News Credits:
    I don't like throwing titles around. I'm upset with the ideas, not the people. Studio Series is great for every movie but Bumblebee. I think they could've waited another wave to refine those figures.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

To jump in again, I don't...think this one is that unpopular, but

I hate that Ultra Magnus is typically only done as a white and blue Optimus. Siege is the first time in a while to work that design plus his actual armor. I wish if they must repaint Prime and don't want the Nemesis Prime/Scourge colors, they'd choose the Delta Magnus/Magna Convoy colors. Those colors look leagues better as a standalone Prime redeco than Magnus's white and blue. Magnus, being more iconically seen in his armored up mode, should get toys that just cut out the standalone cab transformation, like his MP and CW versions do.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Kaynowa

News Credits:
    I think having the core bot with the armor helps sell the play pattern, give the individual figure more to do if you can't fully utilize the car carrier function. Though it is unfortunate that Siege sacrificed the carrier aspect, I think that would be rather benefitial in the wartime setting; have a whole squad roll up in one go instead of trickling in

• Like Like x 1
  19. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Thank you. It's ludicrously unfunny.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I agree it would add to the play pattern, but it's one of those things I'm also willing to sacrifice for the sake of the whole package being as solid in execution as it is.