Unpopular Toy Opinions (THIRD PARTY EDITION)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I agree with all of this. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Fans Toys is overly expensive and has some
    Quality control issues. CHUG should be the series companies focus on, updated designs and whatnot, like Reformatted and Fanshobby stuff.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Meekutron

Meekutron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fine with Ultra Magnus just being less than a head taller than Optimus

I think MMC Bruticus proportions are off.

I do not like Windblade. Wish they made the other girls more popular

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Windblade's design was so ridiculous. Geisha mask and stiletto heels. IDW tried, RID tried, all of them tried but I could not get over how stupid-sexualized her design was. And yet she is in EVERYTHING as a MAJOR character, while even the legacy female characters take a backseat, and Nautica only carried over because she had a toy--Velocity, Anode, Lug and Nickel are basically consigned to death by IDW1.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE WINDBLADE HAPPEN.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    At least the Alpha Trion gang and Arcee have had appearances. I'd love to see Lyzack and Esmeral show up more.

6. Prowl83

Prowl83 Well-Known Member

Badcube Huff 2.0 and Grump are both excellent figures. I have never understood the flack they get, particularly Grump.

• Like Like x 8
  7. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

Three more:
    - TW Seaspray looks better and more like the animated character than XTB Neptune or FT v.1 and v.2.
    - Size wise FC Transpirtation Captain (with the heels trick) fits better in an MP display than FT Thomas.
    - XTB Cyclonus is the one and only toon MP representation of the character.

8. breaux man

breaux man I'm Me

Here's a thought I've had recently because of being "shut-in"...
    to cut down on cost, I'd rather companies send me the pieces/parts with instructions and I'd put the figure together myself. I got time on my hands.
    carry on...

9. Nanox

Nanox My sarcasm is undeniable

Ebay:
    Fans Toys produces, on average, thoroughly mediocre figures that are designed only to be shelf fodder. FT themselves are also bad for the greater third party market because they crank out figures for numerous characters at a machine gun pace and since so many fans have decided FT has the final word, other companies are often hesitant to make their own interpretations because "FT already did it."

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rulocal

Rulocal Well-Known Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but it looks like the company behind "that other" Arcee is giving Windblade a go.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The worst thing is, is that it's not even a "machine gun pace". Their design work far outpaces their actual production. They're no better than patent campers in that regard. They get their fanbase all worked up about all the cool stuff to come, while missing all the alternatives that have come and gone in the meantime.

As for the toys themselves, I'd agree with the mediocrity. Their main claim to fame is that their toys are "well built", with the paint and the diecast and all that. That's great and all if you're the type that likes to pose the figures and admire them on the shelf. For people who actually like to transform the figures, they're average to horrible. Inefficient and clumsy design work. The epitome of "designed in CAD, not for real life".

For all the guff I give them, though, I can still give them credit where it's due. Phoenix is an amazing piece of work - because he somehow escapes practically all of FT's major failings.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

A 3P company should redo and update all the carbots. Size, sculpt, articulation, and engineering are all outdated.

Fanstoys had the right idea for carbots being Seeker-size in bot mode. The current carbots are too small.

We need a better Jetfire/Skyfire than Fanstoys Phoenix. It may have an MP sculpt and size, but its articulation (no waist swivel, little ankle articulation) make it an uninteresting figure.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Same. Iron Factory has the least interesting and least impressive seekers. Their vehicle modes are terrible, their bot modes are nothing special compared to the competition, and for what they cost they shouldn't have bothered. I have some IF legends that I dearly love, but those seekers are not on that list.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I've been having fun putting some Gundam together, so I can't say I'd mind having to do that.

• Like Like x 3
  15. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Breaking: female looks like female

If a clunky robot that resembles a female is over sexualized something is up, and it ain’t the design.

remember, Fan voted character made by a kids toy company.

16. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

I hate newage bumblebee so much. I can't stand his proportions. Speaking of bumblebee, I would gladly buy a figure that looks a lot like action master bumblebee, but with better articulation like elbows, ankles, and outward shoulder movement. It doesn't have to transform, but if they found a way to pull of such a miracle, then I would be very happy.
    [​IMG]

My other unpopular opinion is that more companies should start releasing generic guys. Like the ones from the WFC and FOC games. Or even Devastation. I can never have too much cannon fodder. I highly doubt that there's enough demand for that, but I'd buy em in a heartbeat as long as they're either chug and/or legends scale.

I also want some companies to make updated, more articulated versions of the minicons from the unicron trilogy. I feel like legends scale could work here, as people could reuse them as micromasters.

• Like Like x 1
  17. UtahRobotInDisguise

UtahRobotInDisguise Herald of Utahcron

News Credits:
    Most Fanstoys are mediocre and uses WAY too much diecast. Quakewave was a blocky, bland mess. Forager had a horrible design. The fragile wing clasps and bug leg carriage should never have made it out of prototype stage. Tesla 1.0 is a mess.

I'd say more... but even here, I'd probably be beaten. lol

• Like Like x 4
  18. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Fanstoys Transformers always have QC issues that result from easy to overlook things and people blame user error more than Fanstoys constantly fucking up with quality control because they cater to their G1 Fix rather than holding them to the standard that they would KFC is X-Transbots for having QC issues. *Drops the mic.*

• Like Like x 1
  19. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

People that think FT transformations are hard

People that buy $150-300 refusing to buy a $6 pack of spudgers
    People that bash figures QC on small quantities, so the whole company is trash then
    Companies that don't offer after sale support for their figures.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    ... have no backbone.