Unpopular Toy Opinions (THIRD PARTY EDITION)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

An unpopular 3P opinion of mine:

The version 1.0 head on TE-01 is just fine. I'm not saying it's better than the version 2.0 head, but it's at least as good as the version 2.0 head. The version 1.0 head looks like a genuine effort to take the crude drawings of Optimus from Season 1 and some episodes of Season 2 and make it look heroic and presentable in three dimensions in solid plastic. It took on the ambitious and perhaps foolhardy task of taking those crude drawings and making it look good, and I think it succeeded.

Plus, I like the curvy helmet. I like that the mask curves inwards towards the bottom. I like that the mask ends in a somewhat blunted point at the tip, instead of the square jaw of the 2.0 head.

In my opinion, the biggest "sin" against the version 1.0 head is that the gray is somewhat lighter than I'd prefer, but it looks just fine in person.

• Like Like x 3
  2. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Transformers that don't transform are more character accurate than any figure that can actually transform.

They are as valid as any TF figure. "But they don't transform." Guess what, they barely TF in the modern comics.

They are valid.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Wei Jiang's Omega is the most fun out of all 3 large OS options and is an excellent option for a Generations display.

• Like Like x 4
  4. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. (Pssst...he's crazy) Moderator

TE's Prime is too stiff and cheap / plain looking. MS-01 is a better looking Prime.

5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Fans Toys is basically Takara for people who don't want show-accuracy. A lot of people think one's better than the other, but I'd put them on equally shaky ground. Both have a lot of QC issues, both have a rabidly devoted fan-base who readily look past these QC issues, and both make beautiful toys with some of the best sculpts in the business. Oh, and both of them used to put out figures with a much more consistent quality. I'd say that at least Fans Toys is less overpriced, but given that many end up buying a second copy to display the FT stuff in alt mode (what because of the poor build) it's pretty much a wash. I'd probably lean towards trusting Takara's products more, but prefer the way FT's products look. FT=TT, but for a different aesthetic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  6. blorgicus

blorgicus Well-Known Member

i guess it could be both unpopular AND correct.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jtotheiso187

Jtotheiso187 Well-Known Member

I pretty much dislike all combiners.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    After the last couple days, I've come to the opinion that Gigapower's Dinobots are better than Fans Toys', but Gigapower's fanboys are bigger assholes than Fans Toys'.

• Like Like x 7
  9. buttmunch109

buttmunch109 Mediocre artist

Here's my unpopular opinion, I'm honestly kind of sick of seeing like, nothing but G1 characters. I'm SO glad that we're seeing more designs from Studio OX, IDW, movieverse, and I'm ecstatic that the Unicron Trilogy designs seem to be popping up more and more.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing 3P do even more, why not get a 3P Animated Hot Shot, or Powermaster Prime, let's get some better engineered versions of stuff from RID (either one), let's just get some stuff that isn't the same regurgitated 80's designs ya know? Though I'll say this stuff like the DX9 Stunticons and TE-01 really have caught my eye.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Rail racer! Me too, there's so much to TFs that it's a complete shame that G1gets all the spotlight, with it's near constant boring toon designs.....

• Like Like x 2
  11. Optimis prime

Optimis prime Well-Known Member

MS-01 isn't a masterpiece. It actually an oversize legend quality figure. Hell, it doesn't even have a matrix chamber.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

I like old Toyworld (pre-MP scale), I miss Fansproject's hayday and I prefer voyager scaled/fits in with Hasbro's mainline stuff.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I'm with you in wanting more post early G1 stuff, but I don't really get why anyone would say that and their first suggestions are... A Bumblebee with a different name and an Optimus with cannons.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

3rd Party ignoring the Headmaster Jrs is a damn shame.

I’d pay 3rd party prices for a highly-articulated Action Master - no alt-mode needed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of a lost kingdom

Another one:
    - Giga Gaudenter is a great MP Swoop and next to the FT Dibots he looks better than Soar. At least in robot mode.

16. ttocs415

ttocs415 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not all of us are asshole fanboys ;) 

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  17. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    To be sure. I'm talking about the ones who go straight to personal attacks when you point out one wrong detail in a test shot that you hope gets changed before release.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

DX9 Gabriel is far superior to FT Terminus Giganticus. I'm saying this as an owner of both.

Badcube's Insecticons are the best 3rd Party Insecticon offering. I actually sold my FT Grenadier after I got him and never bothered with their Shrapnel or Kickback. The value pack versions fit especially well with the current toon centric TT and 3rd Party MPs. Their gorgeous face sculpts really ooze with their toon characters.

FT Apache is not nearly as bad as many people say he is.

• Like Like x 2
  19. buttmunch109

buttmunch109 Mediocre artist

Well, Galaxy Convoy was a major want for me as a kid so the same reason why a lot of fans want a cab-over truck Optimus from the 80's. As for Hot Shot, I'm just still pissed that Animated had the tooling for a new mould that could've been good but they shelved it.

Tbh some other's I'd love to see from the cancelled Animated stuff would totally be that triple-changer Megatron and Powermaster Prime, and maybe some of the other abandoned ideas from that series, or a revamped Energon Optimus who's torso can collapse to look more proportionate in solo mode, lmao.

20. Scurv

Scurv Well-Known Member

I've seen you complaining about Grimlock having a thumb in dino mode constantly in that thread. I don't blame people for losing patience with you.

• Like Like x 2