Unpopular opinions (Non Transformers only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Island Devil

I actually like the more restrained take that the 3 Berserk movies took. It was most likely due to budgetary reasons, but it feels less bloated. I always thought the bad monkey man was just too edgy even for Berserk and I liked how after the first meeting with Zodd, there's not much supernatural stuff until the eclipse. The manga is still the best way to experience the series, but I think the movies are genuinely well done (besides some janky ass animation).

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    And, you still didn't address the point of you over-reacting. He mentioned one thing, and you tangent off to other things as if he wouldn't have possibly agreed with you on some of your other points you've made. He only stated one thing he felt was messed up, and you jumped on him as if he was totally unaware of other more messed up things in life or in the world as it is today. Man, and you feel "vindicated' being just as angry and hostile towards these topics as he does :lol 

My whole point is, just because he mentioned only one thing...you go off on a tirade about other things while trying to belittle his own opinion. Are your opinions better than his? You sure are acting like it. Are you having a bad day? I don't know, it seems like it. And it seems like you're taking it out on total strangers on the internet :lol  Are there more worse things than what a celebrity has to say? Of course! But if he or anyone only mentions that one thing, does it mean they think it's the end of the world, or the only thing wrong in the world? No. Not at all. I think only a small minded narrow vision individual would even begin to think or act like it. But hey, if you want to fly off the handle, then by all means...you do you bud. Hope you feel better after your rant :) 

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I don’t think artists should do many ‘open mouthed’ shots in comics and video games for moments of intended drama. They never look very good and in my view have far more potential to subvert the drama and swing the whole thing into comedy.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Nick Canon's comments last year (as well as Charlamagne's) that mirror the master race teachings of Farrakhan seem to have gained steam recently.

Both of them could be viewed as a symptom rather than the actual problem but this is still an example of famous people making f*cked up and wrong ideas more acceptable.

Also the anti-vax idiots peddling their misinformation on the ignorant who buy it wholesale.

I agree this isn't the largest problem but it still is a problem. Morons with money and an audience.

It's a big enough issue that both political parties have tried to tap into this potential for position credits.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Wait, an old Frankish king has risen from the dead? How is this not the most interesting thing to happen ever?

• Like Like x 3
  6. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi 18 :)

News Credits:
    Taylor Swift’s Style is amazing. For a pop song, it has one hell of a banger for a guitar tune.. or is it the bass? Sorry, music newbie.

Point is, I love it and can’t stop repeating!

7. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Manga are just comic books. I don't understand the need for the special separate name.

Maybe it's because they aren't colored in? But black and white comic books, also comic books.

The best is when someone has to correct you when you call their manga a comic book, like you just farted in their face or something.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Still no war in Ba Sing Se

And Anime is just japanese for cartoon. Do you know what they call Western Animation like The Simpsons in Japan? Anime.

It is what it is, but I just think it's weird. Do we really need a different word for every country a cartoon can come from?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

I don't care for Netflix or any other streaming service. They don't have many things I'm interested in, so paying a few dollars a month just for a few pieces of entertainment isn't my thing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

One time I rereferred to some guys graphic novels as "comics" and he got agitated. "They're Graphic. Novels." He emphasized. I told him you can call these funny papers whatever you want I'm not interested in buying them. "Now you're just being disrespectful" he told me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Sure, why not? Plus, anime is easier and quicker to say and type than Japanese animation.

Some are still printed in Japanese order (left to right). And the art styles tend to be radically different from what we see in the west as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Preach Starscream

Tubi's the way to go.

• Like Like x 3
  13. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

The words "manga" and "anime" are really only used in English to differentiate them as having a specific place of origin (although sometimes including media that specifically and clearly imitates/homages certain Japanese animation conventions or visuals styles). They're Japanese in origin, so English-speakers who are enthusiasts decided on using the Japanese words for them to make it clear what people were talking about (also effectively keeping down the number of syllables/letters in the process). Although in the case of anime, to my knowledge, this was mainly after the term "Japanimation" fell out of favor.

I remember there used to be some interest in manhwa (Korean comics) some time ago, but I don't know how well that community has survived since.

Another way you could think about it is the difference between "transforming toys" and "Transformers". The latter is more specific than the former.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Preach Starscream

That's a great point. It's also like the difference between Transformers and Diaclone, which I've seen some people use.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.