Unpopular opinions (Non Transformers only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I hear what you're saying, but with all due respect, nobody, and I mean NOBODY is THAT busy. You can take 10 seconds to shoot off a "Thanks, man" text while you're on the throne instead of playing Candy Crush. It's rude and inconsiderate to not reply when someone wishes you a Happy Birthday, but you have time to post up and down on Facebook.

None of the folks in question have mental health issues; they're just being d!cks. I've known these people for over 20 years and we've had lengthy discussions about everything under the stars- politics, religion, racism, so nothing is taboo to us. Hell, one friend who does have mental health issues calls (yes, CALLS) me quite regularly.

I get that sometimes people have life things going on and just don't want to be bothered, but if I'm texting you to wish you well or I have something in-hand for your benefit, a prompt response is not too much to ask. I shouldn't have to send reminders and follow-ups, that's like sending a reminder to be a friend.

Just for clarification, the people I've cut off was because they pulled that stunt more than once and they used up their lifelines.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

That I can understand. Sometimes enough is enough.

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I have two rules for my contact list. The 3 30 Rule and the 6 No Starts Rule.

The 3 30 Rule is that if I send you three texts in a row that you don't respond to, I count 30 days from the last text. Once I hit 30? Delete.

6 No Starts means that if we go 6 months without you starting a single conversation thread I delete. I have enough irons in the fire juggling work, two kids with special, AND a new house without having to constantly maintain a friendship where the effort is decidedly one sided.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kind of reminds me of my great- uncle in California. He's kinda well off so in the past anytime someone needed money they would ask him, problem was once they got money they never bothered to call back. My thing is if someone is gifting you 3 or 4000 dollars the least you can do is drop a card in the mail every once in a while if you dont want to talk at the minimum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    When I think of ‘pog’ think of those old plastic chips from the ‘90s. I was confused as hell when I started hearing things like ‘pogging’ or ‘poggers’ or ‘pogchamp’.

868B89DB-BC2D-4B59-A4CC-8FB8E4E11B2A.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Hell yes. Fuck people who say they're "too busy".

7. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Whenever people use tho instead of though, it is infuriating.

Most PowerRangers seasons are > their Sentai counterpart

GaoFighGar>GGGG>GaoGaiGar.

People should look up Animation before comparing it to artstyle.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

I know people who spend their entire work day without access to a mobile phone. Because they work in spaces where they are prohibited. So some people genuinely cannot answer you at that time.

• Like Like x 5
  9. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why tho?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Before the internet there was the illusion that maybe people outside of your sphere were better. Somewhere over those hills and away from this city people may actually be awesome.

But then internet came around and completely demolished that piece of blissful ignorance. You knew it probably wasn't true but you didn't have concrete proof yet to crush that lingering hope.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

Our society worship and deifies liars, charlatans, scum, villains and grifters. There is a reason the ancient world disliked actors and considered them the lowest of the low. I say we should go back to treating them as beggars rather than living gods. They are dancing monkeys whose job is to lie. When did we decide these were to be our heroes?

12. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

YouTube (Legacy):
    A bit of an exaggeration, as I don't think we hail actors, but they are overrated. Also, this video is pretty much what you said:

13. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

The other bad thing about the internet is that birdbrains of a feather can flock together. Before, if someone thought the earth was flat they'd just be the town crank but now they have whole communities to insulate each other from outside opinions or facts.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. MetalkingRazor

MetalkingRazor Well-Known Member

People shouldn’t put trust in actors (more so the ones in Hollywood), but I argue that politicians and the donors paying them are worse since they have not just influence, but can also put laws in place that more so benefit them. That said, I don’t have much of a trust issue with actors if it is like, say, actors at a local theater. Sometimes, people enjoy performing. Not everyone has some ulterior motive.
    It sucks that people worship not just Hollywood actors, but other people in powerful positions like businessmen and police. I mean people can have someone you like, but people need to be more critical of even the people they like. Including when they do something wrong. That’s part of the problem with what currently goes on in society. Being blind to someone’s faults. That and people becoming tribal.

True, but the internet is useful in bringing many people together to connect and share interests. I mean what do you call this website? I hardly know anyone personally that likes Transformers. So having websites like this makes it definitely nice it exists.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Yup!

A similar thing happened with the invention of the printing press as well. Every technological leap is accompanied by people causing dicknanigans.

This at least hasn't been as bloody as those "reformations" yet (though it came close last summer). Progress maybe.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

You're right. I've been far too much of a hermit this past year to want the internet as a whole to go away. But the internet is like a knife (most tools really); whether it helps people or hurts them is all up to the person using it.
    Give it time. If this hell year taught me anything then it is that there are a lot more conspiracy nuts than I could have previously predicted. Also, I'm totally stealing dicknanigans.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

Just because an idea is unpopular doesn't mean its wrong. Just because an idea is popular doesn't mean its right either.

• Like Like x 5
  18. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Damn bro you're so cool and edgy, can you teach me how to be as cool and edgy and cynical as you

I mean, do I like all actors? Not really, a lot of them are out-of-touch ego cases who are too rich and too famous to live in reality, but I also don't worry about it too much because I'm not THAT concerned with what a bunch of rich and famous people who hold little institutional power do (personally I'm more concerned about the rich and often unfamous people who DO hold too much institutional power but I guess it's a priorities thing), and I'm CERTAINLY not so angry about it that I think they should be beggars - wanting that for anybody is honestly pretty shitty. Personally I don't understand where this moronic notion that people "worship" them comes from - most people I know across a wide variety of backgrounds, racial, class, gender or otherwise, don't so much worship actors as they do LIKE them, most of them are too concerned with their own lives to 'worship' these people, and if they DO take an interest in what celebrities do it's almost purely as escapism. And honestly, with all the REAL horrors and shitty things happening in the world, almost all of which the average person has no control over and will never have any control over, some people NEED escapism to resist blowing their brains out.

If anything this anger you feel towards actors should be better aimed at people who DO affect your lives, none of whom have ever appeared on a film or TV set except to do a cheeky cameo as themselves before going back to government halls to sign away your grandparents rights to healthcare. If you REALLY think of actors as "dancing monkeys", then what does that make you? The guy angrily yelling and shaking his fist at the dancing monkey? How impressive.

Also, who gives a fuck what the "ancient world" thought of actors? They also routinely practiced pedophilia and believed that pouring liquid heroin down baby's throats cured common colds, we shouldn't be looking to the past as a guide of how to progress into the future.

• Like Like x 10
  19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It's always good when someone can make sure to come in here and correct people's opinions. Especially wrong opinions. You know, ones different than yours? Yeah. You're doing an invaluable service for this site, the internet as a whole, and even the sanctity of human civilization.

Which gets to my apparently unpopular opinion: correcting misconstrued or outright fabricated facts in an opinion is more than fine, but correcting an opinion in general? That should be an infraction at the very least.

20. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Lmaoooooo this is hilarious, "you should get an infraction because you disagreed with someone" :lol 

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.