Unpopular opinions (Non Transformers only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Reddit mod rank achieved

News Credits:
    The Star Wars prequel trilogy is pretty good.

• Like Like x 9
  2. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    Both western and eastern media are overblown with garbage

• Like Like x 7
  3. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

21:9 aspect ratio should be called 7:3 aspect ratio.

4. RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood

RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood Ironman? Sounds like a domestic product to me.

I don’t like anime as a medium.

And as a show, I HATE Flowering Heart.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TonyStink

TonyStink AKA Deinotron the Terrible

I don't even appeal to it.
    I had to look that up. And by one look, I hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CaioSilvatheScreamerFan

CaioSilvatheScreamerFan Destron New Leader

Facebook:
    I dunno if it's a genre but im not very fond of anime either, then again, my previous comment shows it ain't just anime

7. Ultimaster09

Ultimaster09 waging a constant war against all hot rods

About the flowering heart thing,I just looked it up and my feelings basically can be summed up with a line from aoe
    "I swore never to harm humans,but when I find out who's behind all this,I'LL KILL THEM!"
    Murder prime "hero"of the bayverse

• Like Like x 4
  8. Minibots

Minibots Well-Known Member

Popcorn tastes horrible.

I also can’t stand the smell of it.

9. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

The Motion Picture is the best Star Trek film

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It’s not a genre, it’s a medium.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Pennywise is a bottom-tier horror icon. Even below Leprechaun, which is pretty low.

The only horror clown that I like is Violator from Spawn. I just don't like clown characters. Clowns don't = scary.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    Its how you present yourself here. As I've grown more comfortable here over the last (almost) 3 years, and you can see that in my pfp evolution. First I had an Ultra Magnus stock art pic, then I got more comfortable I changed it to a photo I took of TC playing the guitar Laserbeak. Then I changed it to my favorite Swerve panel, a character who is very similar to me IRL. Now my profile pic is basically me, its art a friend made for me, its a bot that literally transforms into my car.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Star Wars, but I honestly consider its success mostly just luck and a series of happy accidents. Lucas is great when it comes to broad ideas, but the prequels showed that he struggles with filmmaking and isn't some sort of genius storyteller. He needs someone more skilled to execute his ideas. A New Hope would have turned out very awkward and prequel-like if he had complete control (he didn't, he was sick in the hospital while other people made it for him). His wife was responsible for tightening up the movie and removing the excess. And Lucas had very little involvement in Empire. Lucas gained more control with ROTJ, and everything past that has struggled to some extent.

I think this is why I tend to be less outraged about Disney's Star Wars than a lot of fans are. To me Star Wars has never been some sort of masterwork series on-par with Lord of the Rings, I've always seen it as a very flawed space movie series with some fun ideas and a lot of cool spaceships and swordfights. I can't be too mad that Disney winged this trilogy when Lucas did the same thing with both of his. I certainly wish the new movies were better, but I don't see them as giant betrayals like a lot of people do. Star Wars was arguably my favorite franchise growing up, but I always saw the flaws.

To me anime seems best described as an 'art style'. Grated there are a lot of different styles in anime (at least according to people who watch it, it honestly kind of all looks the same to me). But to me 'medium' seems too broad. I think of medium as the difference between a book and a stag-play, or between a movie and a music album. Anime always exists in the form of other mediums, like television, movies, or comics. It's definitely not a genre though, because anime contains pretty much every genre (western, sci-fi, historical, etc.)

I've personally never gotten into anime myself either. My friends have tried to get me into it, but it's just never clicked with me. I don't necessarily find it bad, I've just never been engaged during it. Although I think I'd like the Studio Ghibli movies, I need to watch more of those.

I plan to go back and watch that soon, I haven't seen it since I was probably 13. I recall it being good, but I always liked 2,3, 4, and 6 better. I think I'll appreciate TMP better as an adult. Everyone criticizes the "pajamas" they wear, but in some ways that makes more sense for a research ship than the military-style jackets in the following movies. I still think TOS has the best uniforms though. Very simple and clean, but still quite distinct and cool.

I actually think the Kirk-era Star Trek films are fairly underrated. People don't talk about them nearly as much as other movie series from that era, like Star Wars or Indiana Jones. I honestly think they're all at least serviceable, with the worst installment (episode 5) being nowhere near as bad as the worst Star Wars or Indiana Jones films. And I think the best of them are on-par with the best installments of those series.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

Please do watch the Ghibli movies! They're practically cultural milestones, they're so good. The vibe I get from them is less "regular cliche anime" and more "genuinely great animated movies".

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely will. I saw "Howl's Moving Castle" with some friends a couple years back, and it was easily my favorite anime they'd shown me. And from what I gather that's not even considered the best Ghibli movie. Is there any particular order I should watch the rest in?

They also showed me "Your Name" (I think it was called that, at least). I don't think that was a Ghibli movie? I thought it had gorgeous animation, but I was kind of lost on the plot about halfway through. Probably because everyone in the room was talking. I think I'll rewatch that one at some point, because it seemed like it had some interesting ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

There's no particular order to watch Ghibli movies, unless you want to do them by production order, by which Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind would be first. It's technically not exactly a Ghibli movie as it was made before it was even founded, but it's super good and it's widely considered one of the best animated movies of all time. Princess Mononoke is another one I'd absolutely recommend. Fair warning that it's quite a bit more violent than other Ghibli movies, but the animation, soundtrack, and voice acting are all superb. Plus the English script was written by Neil Gaiman, so you know it's high quality stuff.

I don't think Your Name is a Ghibli movie? According to a quick Google search, it's not. The premise does seem interesting, though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Arale

Arale Well-Known Member

Uncharted, don’t care for the series. Just a bland version of Tomb Raider.

18. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Do give Satoshi Kon's work a shot too if you get the chance, his works like Paprika, Perfect Blue, Milennium Actress, Tokyo Grandfathers or Paranoia Agent are some of the best films\series I've ever seen period, let alone animation or anime.

As for the style, yeah, there are some aesthetic cues that get used a lot (probably even overused), but I think part of it comes from it looking samey because you're not that deep into it (kinda like how someone who's barely read a superhero comic or two would have a hard time telling apart Adam Kubert from Jim Lee or Marc Silvestri or Brett Booth). Still, you don't have to look too hard to find stuff that looks unique and instantly distinguishable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are just a few examples, but I think you'd find it hard to argue for them looking all the same.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Looting a Foot Locker isn't "social justice". It's using a tragedy as an excuse for being the piece of shit that you are.

• Like Like x 13
  20. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Reddit mod rank achieved

News Credits:
    And it ruins the message you had an opportunity to bring.

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.