Unpopular opinions (Non Transformers only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I also have trouble reading it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

I dislike (and don't get) most forms of merchandising of a brand that isn't the main product or side material fiction. This might seem weird from a toy collector but let me explain. For Transformers, for example, the main appeal and main product are the figures and then the shows/movies/maybe sometimes comics. The figures are among the main appeal and the main product. While this thread is non-Transformers unpopular opinions I could as well be using Dungeons & Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, Star Trek, Star Wars or any Marvel stuff. Ok so the figures are one thing as are the work of fictions. What I don't 'get' is the rest. Why t-shirt? Why coffee mugs? Why statues? What's the point? What's the appeal? Yeah I get it, consumerism and I shoudn't bitch when it come to it because I bought too many dumb robot figures but I just do not get it.

At least an action figure generally speaking has what you'd call 'play' or 'display' value so to speak. There's also the actual engineering that went into it that's appealing, be it a Transformers or a gunpla model kit. Can I say the same about a coffee mug? Why would I want to absolutely drink out of a (brand) coffee mug? Am I too picky and damaged in my dumb consumerism? Is that why I don't 'get' it?

3. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

It's to appeal to as many people as possible for the franchise, I believe. Not everyone enjoys the same 'aspect' of a franchise, even the 'main product' part of it. Using your example, I personally cared more about the shows than the toys (I do have a few, but only of those I really liked). Another example: Resident Evil, the 'main product' of that are the video games, but I never played the games (I can't handle playing horror games), but I was very much interested in the story. So back when there were just...three games, I think, I bought and read every novel and watched some of the movies (up to...Extinction I think...) before my interest waned.

4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    -Anime hasn't been good for a LONG time. The last ones I watched in their entirety were Inuyasha (decent, but went downhill), Cowboy Bebop (classic), GitS:SAC (talky, but had a great plot), Robotech (start to finish, one of the best), and one with a big train and zombies...can't remember the name (short, but fun).
    Watched maybe an episode or three of Naruto, a few of DBZ and about 15-minutes of Jojo and couldn't stand any of them. I really just don't see the draw, as they are vacuous and cringey. All the references to Jojo I see all over the place just leave me scratching my head.

-Liver, Brussels sprouts and halushki (fried cabbage and noodles) are all delicious. I could happily have them as/with any meal and enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Suboptimal Optimus

Jojo is older than all of those you listed except maybe classic Dragon Ball.
    Edit: I think your problem is literally that you've only look at mainstream 'shonen fighting anime', given you list Naruto and DBZ. Try looking at something that's aimed beyond 13 years old before declaring 'anime hasn't been good since I watched Toonami' or something.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am absolutely going to take that and put it together with the preceding comment, and that's going on Facebook..

"Twiter is now worse than a public bathroom, as one is meant to dispose of crap, the other showcases it!"

:p :D 

• Like Like x 2
  7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Condescending attitude, for what? Daring to dislike something you like?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Suboptimal Optimus

No its just that throwing under the bus the last twenty something years of anime just because he doesn't like the mainstream 'shoneshit' aimed at 13 years old is a tad reductive.

9. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    Nathan's and hebrew national are the only good hotdogs, the majority are sh*t.

10. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Professional Chain Yanker TFW2005 Supporter

Even if they are targeted at 13 year olds in Japan, here? Shonen DBZ clones and the school girl slice of life are the main games in town. What I bet happened with @Dachande is that he looked up popular anime and gave the 3 he found a try. Perhaps he only looks at the mainstream stuff because he was curious about the current state of mainstream anime? Most people don't care about deeper cuts, and frankly I don't blame them.

I will agree that DBZ can get pretty cringey, Dachande. I just love the designs Toriyama came up with; Piccolo and Freeza are some of my favorites. The story itself? Well, it shows that Toriyama just kinda made it up as he went along. The fights get lamer as the series goes on too. The best fights were in Dragon Ball.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Suboptimal Optimus

Since we're on the subject of unpopular opinions: Dragonball is a lot better in its manga form. This isn't to say the classic anime is lacking in spectacle and is bad nor am I being a hipster saying 'the manga was better'. The simple reality is Dragonball became a goddamn meme due to its legendary level of filler and padding, giving rise to jokes about 'powering up for twenty episodes'. In its manga form its very quick and always moving at a brisk pace. While its a silly story and 'baby's first manga', Dragonball isn't given enough credit for being a very smooth and easy read in its original form that flows very well with little to no pacing slow down.

And yes, the better parts were in the pre-DBZ days.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Exactly.
    Everything I named was on Adult Swim, Toonami or Netflix (forgot Ganz-O, which I liked). They are the main outlets outside of CrunchyRoll that people that don't feel like digging get to experience anime.
    Not everyone really cares enough to look for the "better" stuff when they can't find the "popular" stuff enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Suboptimal Optimus

Well the mainstream stuff is pretty crap and you only list shows about spiky haired teenagers punching each others. If you're looking for other genre, then its worth digging in and trying to find a gem that the little kiddies don't talk about.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Hgnnn...gotta.... resist urge... to flood the thread with... unwanted recommendations...

As for your second point, while I'm not a big fan of liver (I'll eat it, it's just not my favorite), Brbrussels sprouts and cabbage in general are always welcome in my kitchen. Broccoli is down right God tier to me, there's little more delicious than putting it in a closed pan with various meats and vegetables and let it absord all the juices from the other ingredients.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    The more obscure stuff is awesome. All the ones you just listed are mainstream. Stuff like Gurren Lagann, Your Name, Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai(Misleading name, shit actually made me tear up), and more.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Suboptimal Optimus

MegaloBox, Devilman Crybaby, Eureka 7, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass...

17. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Professional Chain Yanker TFW2005 Supporter

I remember renting a volume from my library many years ago (can't remember which one, but I know the Ginyu Force was in it). I was blown away by how fast paced the fighting was in the manga. The whole Recoome fight (except for the inevitable entrance of Goku) was contained in a single volume. In the anime, wasn't this like 10 episodes? It was a quick yet enjoyable read.

18. Cyberbot8460

YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh, fuck, Devilman....I hate Go Nagai. I mean I love him too but Devilman left me empty. Hard to think that he also wrote Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    On the subject of anime...it's a medium I've never been able to get into on pretty much any level. I know people who utterly love anime...to the point that it's the main thing they watch. Anime just seems weird to me. I have trouble telling the characters apart, because a lot of anime shows tend to use similar styles. I don't like the high-pitched voices or the spikey colorful hair or the shots where the background gets replaced with movement lines while a character is running or something. It all feels very...unsubtle. I certainly don't blame anyone for liking what they like, but it's all very unappealing to my personal tastes. I think I'd like the self-contained Studio Ghibli movies more than the ongoing shows...I just need to commit to watching them at some point.

As far as things like T-shirts and mugs, I think the point is to 'show off' your love for the brand. I personally love buying and wearing T-shirts based on movies I like. T-shirts are the main shirts I wear because they're comfortable, and I'd prefer to have a T-shirt with a Star Wars ship or something on it than just a plain shirt. And it's fun when people recognize the shirt, it can help you connect with others over common interests. Same if you have a coffee mug on your desk at work, or something like that.

But I totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes I'll see a branded product that just seems completely pointless. I feel like Star Wars is especially overmarketed, they've managed to cram their imagery onto basically every type of product. Especially Stormtroopers and Chewbacca. I almost feel like those two things are becoming more like Ronald McDonald-esque mascots than movie characters at this point. They have Star Wars night lights, speakers, bed sheets, frying pans, waffle-makers. Who needs or wants a Star Wars toaster? Who even looks that closely at their toaster? Unless you have a specific passion for branded toasters, most people are going to buy a regular toaster.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cyberbot8460

YouTube (Legacy):
    Perfectly understandable. Have a nice day.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.