Unpopular opinions (Non Transformers only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!

Glad to see I'm not the only here who thinks this and I only thought Rogue One was okay at best as well as liking some of the current canon novels albeit only in relative to the new continuity set up by Disney. A lot of it, especially TFA and the sequel trilogy, are practically a cynical cash grab at its finest.

Also speaking of Star Wars, I think Lucasfilm and others are actually better with George Lucas than without.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Going off that, the "canon" and "legends" thing for Star Wars is fucking stupid. All the old stories still exist. Just saying "they don't count anymore" isn't gonna stop people from reading them and it's such a wasted opportunity for Disney to expand on an already massive and rich universe and bring some of its popular stories onto the big screen.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mugen Roid

Mugen Roid ☪ A Jester in a Court of Fools. ☪

Frankly the only purpose of declaring most matriel non-canon seems to be so Disney can retread the same stories without making their existance completely redunant.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Sam's_Bee

Sam's_Bee College Autobot

Strobe lights being used in: holiday decor,kids clothing,costume jewelry....can we please tone it down a notch. One of the triggers for my epilepsy is strobe like lighting.The biggest offender is holiday decor,it's great you want to trick out your house/yard/fence. It's annoying when I have to spend a large chunk of two holidays (Halloween and Christmas) picking my way through either buying decor or seeing displays.

• Like Like x 2
  5. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Professional Cat Herder & Ancient Alien Theorist.

Ebay:
    TV is overrated. I tossed that eyeless instrument years ago and my mental health immediately improved.

6. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Kylo Ren is a pretty cool character. I think it was immensely helped by his actor. It's not easy to do angst in storytelling and people will inevitably find it goofy no matter what because of the way emotion is seemingly frowned on. I think Adam was a stand out performance in an otherwise "that was it?" movie. After Darth Vader whom over time has become a much more mundane presence, I think a change from his stoic villainy was ideal to make things less samey than they already were.

I will say that I find stoic villains overrated. We've also had an influx of villains whose motivations are "they're just crazy" which is probably my least favorite type, even if nearly a decade ago we got a well done example of said type.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Personally I'm not fond of most villains at all. A lot of them have very bland motivations of world/galaxy/universe domination which is boring and then they're assigned either the intelligent manipulator, cackling boss, or suave "cool guy" stereotype and it's just really fucking boring.

8. GuardianAngel87

I honestly don't care all that much for villains, myself, at least outside of story purposes. There have been some exceptions to the rule, depending on a series/franchise, but still.

9. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

While I agree with this, I believe the franchise is in safer hands. That said, reinvented franchises are at their best when something fresh is created while still honouring the old. Disney might be great at the later but the earlier is non-existent and it's apparent in all of the new media. We might have gotten good products but they are bland.

As much as I believe that the indie scene (games, movies, etc.) is the future, I'm going to miss the scummy larger businesses due to the scope they can create easily and constantly.

10. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Reviews can be useful tools in determining if someone does not want to see something. They are essentially opinions of an individual, but I fail to see why that's bad. People talk about things they watched all the time and those listening/reading are left to form their own ideas based on it. If there is a pattern that someone doesn't like upon other people's viewings, they have the full right to ditch that movie/show/book and defend their right to not waste money that they are unsure of.

Telling someone to not "knock it until they try it" just shows that one doesn't care about the other person's money or preferences. It's also hypocritical because the one saying that has most certainly avoided something because of lack of interest or preferences.

I'm not saying one can judge something without truly experiencing it (a difficult subject to cover), but they can definitely say why they didn't see it — and that can possibly look or feel like criticism.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    I thought Rogue One was really great, but the Sequel Trilogy is such a grab. It's even worse when they're just retreading old ground and using nostalgia to make cash money.

Old canon may have had stupid things like giant space otters, Lightsaber suits, and Skippy the Jedi Droid, but it still had enough cool things to make it better than what we have now. (For the most part anyway, new canon has some great stuff too)

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    *Cough Cough* A resurgent empire, something done in several Legends stories *Cough Cough*

The best villain is a character first and a villain second, IMO. That's my biggest beef with most antagonists, they are just written as bland-as-bread "Muahaha I'm evil!" clichés with little to no motivation or even character beyond "being evil". Maybe its because I prefer Grey and Grey morality in stories, but I find good vs. evil to be boring as heck.

• Like Like x 1
  13. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    immortality is overrated. a lot of my friends would like it as their superpower, but then i mention this.....
    "imagine seeing everything and everyone...gone. just you roaming the earth centuries after life is extinguished, then imagine surviving an exploding nova that wipes out the solar system. now your in a pitch black environment....no escape....because you're immortal."
    you can expect them to rethink it then.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

Or they can listen to this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

The original Blade Runner kind of sucks. I used to think that maybe I was just too dumb to "get it" but after watching it again, no, it's just not a very good movie.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aku

Aku Member

I will forever stand by my belief that TMNT 2003 series was the best TMNT anything (like the best out of series, movies, comics, etc.)
    (not sure how popular this one is so I apologize in advance if it's actually pretty popular) The TMNT 2012 series was pretty mediocre imo. I was not a fan of making April O'Neil and Casey Jones school kids at all. Nor was I a fan of Donnie having feelings for April and April having powers. I love when April and Casey are normal humans. It makes them all the more relatable.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I still have a soft spot for the original movie from '91 because I feel it's both a great adaptation and a great movie but Turtles '03 was a shit-hot show. Remind me, did they do reporter April or scientist April in that one?

18. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I H A T E the news. All it does is talk about negative things that stress you out even if its not your problem. Absolutely useless. My mom always thinks the worse and she said something extremely negative i didnt like just because of the news, i said “oh my god” “why are you thinking so negative, no one wants to talk ablut that” because what she said was so unnecessary. But i am the one that was out of line?

• Like Like x 3
  19. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    You just became my best friend. Thank you, south park actually had an episode about that once.

• Like Like x 3
  20. GuardianAngel87

The 2003 series had April as a scientist which from what I heard is more in line in what she is in the original comics.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.