Unpopular Music-Related Opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JaZzPrImE74, Jan 19, 2017.

1. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I just shed a tear.

Anyways i think 90s/80s music is overrated. Tired of hearing older people attack my generations music videos with the whole "back in my day..." Not every song has to have a deep meaning which a lot of 90s/80s music dosent either.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Young musicians are doing some really cool stuff in electronic music these days. Their rock music seems to be in a pretty sorry state though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    As the thread title suggest, heres another music-related thread for unpopular music opinions in general. it can be any genre, metal, rock, EDM, rap, hip hop, whatever. Please don't start a flame war over opinions as well. I respect everyone's music opinions as well.
    Now, unto my unpopular music-related opinions

1.) Every pop song on American top 40 is god-awful and overrated.
    2.) I'm not interested in any other genre besides Heavy Metal (Especially metal) and rock. I haven't tried punk so I'm not really sure about that.
    3.) When it comes to black metal, I try to appreciate it but I can't since I can't understand what they're saying.
    4.) I can't stand metalcore bands like Black Veil Brides, Green Day or As I Lay Dying. Not real metal in my opinion.
    5.) Michael Jackson is a great pop artist, but I really can't appreciate his work.
    6.) 80s Pop >>>>>>>>>>> Modern Day Pop
    7.) I hate any artist that has more than 2+ write their song for them.
    8.) Heavy Metal is best

So, now since I'm done blabbering, go ahead and discuss! :popcorn 

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    I can't stand Rock related music. Ozzy in particular , don't know how my ex girlfriend listened to that trash.

Also my friend showed me "country rap" just like country I couldn't listen to it past the 30 second mark.

Lastly any music in the 90s and back not made by NWA,Biggie,Tupac and a few other artist just hurts my ears when my mom plays it.

5. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I don't respect any artist who doesn't write their own songs. Case in point, Beyonce. Go look and see how many people it takes to write one song for her.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    Remember, 5 people wrote "Baby" by Justin Beiber.

7. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I can't stand any Heavy Metal type music. To me it's just a bunch of dudes with anger issues screaming into a mike.

• Like Like x 2
  8. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    I would like to issue some rebuttals.

1.) Every song? Even the ones from decades before that ended up shaping the landscape of music as we know it? I realize I could be totally wrong here, but I think you haven't had enough exposure to what's on the pop stations. I do agree that there's a lot on the charts that just isn't thought out well enough, but at the same time, there's a lot that gets just as much airplay that can be appreciated just as well. And at any rate, the radio is supposed to be like the previews before the movie; if you buy the album that a particular single is on, you may find that you like the album and the non-singles on it than what you've already heard. For instance, Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off", while a couple years old already, is not the best song ever, but the album it's on, 1989, is actually pretty great.
    2.) Whatever you like, man. Although I do notice that there's a lot of metalheads on here, myself included to a certain degree. Metal and rock are only a small slice of what I listen to, however; my Spotify playlist has 526 songs and counting and has everything from Abacab to Zac Brown Band. HOWEVER. I have gone to a lot of rock festivals and seen acts that I now love to pieces, so much so that I'm going back to the festival I went to last year, Welcome to Rockville, again for another dip.
    3.) I agree, actually.
    4.) Green Day's alright, but I definitely felt a shift in tone when acts like Bring Me The Horizon took the stage at Rockville.
    5.) Why not? His discography is super-diverse and he's worked with a multitude of producers, musicians, and writers. Surely you can find one song of his to appreciate.
    6.) Going back to what I said on #1, if you made this thread around 2009-11, I would've agreed. But the broad (aka not just the Billboard Hot 100) pop landscape is becoming something that it has never been before, accommodating artists, bands, genres and tastes from all over the globe, and to me, that's exciting! I will say that I do have my favorite singles/bands/albums from the 20th century, and they will always hold a place in many a heart as well as the music industry, but I think that if you gave the top 40 stations as much of a listen as you do the local rock station, I think you would at least find a new artist to look out for.

Fin.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    I like Michael Jackson's music, as I said, but really, the guy was messed up in the head. (No, I'm not saying he's a pedo)

I just think that the huge majority of the songs, (Maybe a few or good, I can be wrong) is just the same exact theme. Almost everything has to do something with relationship shit.

10. convoy84

News Credits:
    Ain't nothing wrong with love, man. It's good for the soul. And not only that, but many artists, even our beloved rock/metal acts, can do a solid job of hiding the fact that some of their songs are about love.

And your statement goes back to one I made: although the songs that get airplay are love songs (because it's been proven that that's what people like to hear), the albums such singles are from can have tracks with subject matter that's not at all about love. Case in point: my favorite dudes, Genesis, had a Top 40 hit in 1978 with "Follow You Follow Me", a rather basic love song. What else did the album it was from, And Then There Were Three, cover? Oh, how about killing someone and hiding the body in a snowman? They went there with a song called "Snowbound".

In a much more timely example, The Weeknd, who I LOVE, had a hit recently called "I Feel It Coming", maybe you've heard it. However, from that same album came the album's namesake single, "Starboy", which focused on how fame is a bitch sometimes and how he's killing the image he made for himself in favor of a much more refined one. Basically, The Weeknd is dead, long live The Weeknd.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rodimus74

Todays pop is crap. It's all done on laptops and tablets. And don't get me started on auto tune.

• Like Like x 3
  12. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    What's wrong with the way it's produced? Are you more of a fan of live insturments being played while recording a song?

13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    How is that opinion unpopular? I don't think that nowadays the Top40 or TV ratings actually represent the consumers. They are outdates concepts in a society where a lot of things are consumed in ways that can't be predicted by using old fashioned methods and don't appear in any evaluation. Granted, there are still people who think that, because songs are in the top40, they must be good, and listen only to such music, because they don't know better, but I don't know anyone who actively listens to such music. People are so individualized today, that the music people listen to has become so fragmented, that you can't really use these charts anymore.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  14. Rodimus74

It just shows that they can pull any bum off the streets these days to do a song. There is no talent behind most of todays pop singers. I respect any artist that writes their own tunes and plays their own instruments.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Here's one:

Celine Dion can sing absolutely beautifully, and has sung beautiful songs. They're not all unassailable classics or anything but I stand by her talent as a singer.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is the POPULAR opinion.

However, I have no issue with an artist that doesn't write their songs. Singing and songwriting, though often aligned and utilised together, are two different skill sets. If somebody is a good singer and wants to interpret songs other people wrote, I have no issue with that.

Similarly, if somebody is great at writing songs but either can't or doesn't want to make it as singer/star, then carry on cranking out those hits for somebody else please.

17. convoy84

News Credits:
    If I can butt in, I do; dare I say it's quite refreshing. I've said countless times to people I know that 2 things I think a lot of the hits right now could use are a horn section and/or a good drummer.

18. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    If the songs in American Top 40 weren't well rated and bought by fans, it wouldn't be in the American top 40??? And here in California, 102.7 KIIS FM (A radio station dedicated to Top 40) is one of the most viewed radio stations

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    It's not that simple. It's just that many people don't buy their music anymore, sadly. Many either just pirate music, listen to it on Youtube or other legal streaming services and are fine with that. Or they listen to mixes on soundcloud, mixcloud, etc. So the Top 40 are just a list of the most bought music, not a list of the most popular music. That's the misconception many people have. Also not many people listen to oldschool fm radio channels either. So being the most popular radio station does not mean much. And how they got the info that it's most popular is the other question. Like, I also doubt that tv ratings are really representative of the reality. Also they have only the largest common denominator. Nothing saying that they are also the majority of people.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Stone Temple Pilots will probably never be able to find a good enough replacement for Scott Weiland... but they deserve a chance to try.