Unpopular Movieverse Opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by volatus, Aug 10, 2021.

1. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

Ready to take some flak? Post your unpopular opinions about the Movieverse.

I'll start.

Optimus Prime doesn't say "Give me your face." He says "Give me your faith." The Fallen has set himself up as a kind of religious figure and believes he owns the destiny of all Cybertrons. Optimus Prime proves that his destiny is not to come, killing him, proclaiming "Give me your faith." Optimus, not The Fallen, will guide the destiny of all Cybertrons.

Come at me!

• Like Like x 16
  2. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I found AOE to be the better film of the bay movies due to Bay taking some of the criticisms of the past films and making some improvements. Like more interaction between the autobots and less dorky and sexual humor then usual. Also Marky mark was a better main lead then Sam.

• Like Like x 19
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    ... Dude are-are you using the Japanese terminology for the Autobots?

That's based as hell. Destrons and Cybertrons ftw.

• Like Like x 12
  4. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime doesn't say "No, Optimus!" before he's executed. He shouts "Go, Optimus!" Sentinel Prime knows Optimus is off the deep end and wants him to continue down his dark path, spiraling into the same madman that all Primes eventually become.

Just kidding. My real unpopular opinion: ROTF is my favorite of the sequels despite the fact I fully know how terrible it is.

• Like Like x 17
  5. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

This is a lot smaller than my actual hand, but I digress:

Internet-High-Five.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  6. Minibots

Minibots Greetings

I loved ROTF as a kid. And for a long time, I liked it more than DOTM :D . Looking back now, I can see the film wasn’t that great. But I do have a soft spot and nostalgia for it. The ROTF toyline was also incredible and was the first toyline I bought a figure from. Top notch fucking quality from that line.

• Like Like x 15
  7. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    That's okay, I also have giant fucking man hands.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - The "their war, our world" concept was executed extremely well in TF1, from the slow burn attacks of the Decepticons to the human focus to the framing of shots low to the ground, it all created a tremendous sense of realism and made the Transformers feel like they were truly living in our world.

- Even if some of the later movies' plots got messy, loved that they were excuses to get us to really unique locations (the Great Pyramids, Hong Kong, Stonehenge, etc.).

- I prefer integrated weaponry and protoform re-entry from TF1/ROTF to the handheld weapons and single-man ships from DOTM onward. I'm fine with large ships that can carry many bots, like the Ark, though.

- TF Prime and/or AOE/TLK Frank Welker > TF1-3 Hugo Weaving > Regular Megatron Frank Welker

• Like Like x 15
  9. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The whole debacle about how Soundwave can't be a helicopter when the 2007 movie was in production. I am a G1er, but I also understand that sometimes things and characters have to evolve - like you can't have Megatron as a gun anymore. I really wish the fandom would have just shut up about Soundwave/Blackout issue, and we would have gotten a cool updated modern representation of Soundwave for the movies - as a military helicopter that can eject minions.

EDIT: Just for clarification, originally, the Blackout character was supposed to have been Soundwave, until there was online backlash against it.

• Like Like x 24
  10. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Me and my 9 inch hand go brrr

• Like Like x 4
  11. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

That makes sense. I was watching TF2007 this morning and noted how much Blackout's weapon looked like some kind of "sound" "wave" firing off.

They're very... handy.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also think it's cases like this that show that the filmmakers are genuinely putting a lot of thought into how these movies are made. I see a lot of comments about how Bay "doesn't care" or that the filmmakers have a callous disregard for the franchise, and I don't think that's true.

Concepts like Blackout and Barricade evolved out of a genuine desire to update the Soundwave character and design, since the tape deck wasn't going to work. And when neither turned out to be Soundwave, we ended up getting a cool Soundwave idea as the Spy Satellite. I think it would have been cool to have Blackout be Soundwave, and I feel like some loose elements of the Blackout character made their way into the TF Prime version of Soundwave. Still, out of an earnest shot to modernize a classic character, we got an awesome design that is a fan-favorite. And that's great.

• Like Like x 18
  13. Soundwave27

Soundwave27 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I think TF1's Blackout is "true" Soundwave. Soundwave from ROTF and DOTM may have been impersonated by Decepticon called "Blackout".

14. Yodoswaginz

Yodoswaginz Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I think AOE is one of the best Bayverse films, for the reasons you mention. For some reason though it does seem to be an unpopular opinion. A lot of people really don't like it. Not sure why.

• Like Like x 4
  15. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Banned

That is not to say it doesn’t have issues, it does.

16. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Banned

The humans in the Bumblebee movie (aside from Charlie) were more annoying than the ones in the Bayformers movies.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    ಠ_ಠ

On the one hand I guess that's exactly the kind of cursed stuff you'd find in a thread like this, but I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    Soundwave becoming a satellite was the perfect way to update the character, so I'm glad they didn't use him for who was originally Blackout

On the topic at hand, the character designs in AOE and TLK were much better than the ones in the first 3 films, for the most part, they were a lot less messy and actually looked like they represent something. Like put Megatron from TF1-3 to his appearance in TLK and it's no contest, TLK's Megatron blows it out of the water.

I'll take it further, TLK's Megatron design is my favorite look for him in the entire franchise

• Like Like x 10
  19. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I'll be that guy and disagree. TLK Megatron is great, but he isn't the best Movie Megatron design. I guess that's one of my unpopular opinions, and I'll expand on it by saying that ROTF Megatron is the best Movie Megatron design.

Going to another one, but '07 Megatron is a fantastic design. I love how alien and savage he looks. Those claw hands, the spiky shoulders, the awesome head design, the super cool Cybertronian jet, etc. combined with his genuinely menacing presence and awesome voice made for a good and memorable if underused villain. I have loved that design from day one and I am very happy with the attention that it has gotten in toy form recently with the fantastic MPM and awesome (though flawed) SS Voyager, not to mention that I feel like I have seen more love for it in recent years compared to a decade ago. It's not my favorite Movie Megatron design, but it is great in my eyes despite what others say.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  20. SuperSunnyDee

SuperSunnyDee Sense is like cheesecake.

Oh boy here I go.

- Both the 2007 film and Bumblebee are better movies than the original animated feature.

- Simmons is one of the best human characters in Transformers.

- Optimus shouldn’t have accepted the truce from Megatron at the end of DOTM and I don’t know how anyone would think that would’ve ended well.

- I’m glad we got the Bay designs before the Travis Knight ones solely because they’re totally unique in their design identity.

• Like Like x 25