Unlikely Repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Nov 7, 2016.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

To explain this thread in the simplest way possible. Despite how Hasbro love to do repaints whenever possible, these are repaint ideas that sort of make sense but might be too much even for them.

The main reason I thought of this is because of the new Generations Gnaw. We have other sort of Sharkticons... even if they're not all officially called Sharkticons they do transform into sharks... though not typically bipedal monster sharks with skinny little arms.

The G1 Sharkticons are army builders but buying multiples of the same exact figure is boring to me. To make it not boring I thought, why not make repaints based on other shark transformers as if this is what their G1 counterpart would look like. This way instead of them all being exactly the same you can have a bunch of different colored Sharkticons. It technically wouldn't be accurate to the cartoon because they were all identical there but this way people like me who don't feel like buying multiple Gnaws can still army build their Sharkticons.

I have a list of possible characters and color schemes to repaint the Sharkticon mold into.

Overbite: Technically also a G1 character. The original toy was not the same mold as Gnaw but they are very similar to each other. Of all the other sharks on this list I feel like this one is the most likely to actually happen. As for what color scheme to use, as there are a few different ones for this character. Any of the ones based on the original mold would be the most likely. However I personally like the color scheme of the Universe Hellscream repaint the most... which I think is also the least likely color scheme to use on the Gnaw mold.

Rippersnapper: Another G1 monster shark. This one seems a little less likely than Overbite but still more likely than the others on this list. As for color scheme, I would prefer the Prime Beast Hunters color scheme.

Grimlock: Now we've gone to the least likely repaint. The only reason I'm even suggesting Grimlock is the Beast Hunters Rippersnapper mold was repainted into Grimlock so he technically has been a Shark/Dragon thing before. It honestly made no sense why they did it the first time... and they made two different repaints of him using that same mold. One based on his G1 colors and the other based on his AoE colors. I prefer the G1. How do those even exist in the first place?

Axalon: The Energon Sharkticon mold was repainted in the colors of the Maximal space ship from Beast Wars... I don't know why because it looks nothing like the Axalon but yeah, this is a thing. Maybe it's just me being color blind but it kind of looks similar to Gnaw's color scheme as well. Lighter tones but almost the same colors.

Cybershark: Based on the Beast Wars character. I'm not sure which color scheme to go with though. Maybe mix both his original mold and the TM2 mold. There's elements of both that I like and some things of both that I don't. Like I'd rather replace the white of the original version with the green? of the TM2.

Hellscream: Obviously in BW2 colors.

Hellwarp: Though it seems to be based on Hellscream TFWiki is telling me this is actually G1 Skywarp not BW2 Starscream. The name is different and the colors are a little different. There's more black on this version. So why not have both?

Sharp Edge: Based on the Beast Wars Neo character.

Sky-Byte: Also known as Car Robots Gelshark. I think it'd be interesting to see his asymmetrical color scheme on a G1 Sharkticon body.

Sharkticon: This dude doesn't actually have a name. Maybe could go with Nemesis since his design and color scheme was loosely based on that. This would be a G1 Sharkticon in Energon colors... which is quite a switch considering we had three Energon Sharkticons in G1 colors called Air Shark, Land Shark, and Sea Shark.

Garbage disposal bot: This was seen in Revenge of the Fallen. The general shape of the body is actually very similar to Gnaw's beast mode right down to to the spike ball tail. So why not make a Sharkticon in this color scheme. He already looks like one.

Cindersaur: Based on the Beast Hunters Predacon... another repaint of Rippersnapper.

Hammerstrike: The last one. According to TFWiki the original Hammerstrike is actually the same character as Cybershark. But RID Hammerstrike is a Decepticon Sharkticon. I kind of want to take elements of both their color schemes and mix them together. The Beast Machines version is more interesting but get rid of that light brown or whatever it is and make those parts go with RID colors.

Now this is why this is very unlikely. While some of these might happen most of them never will. I doubt Hasbro will be able to sell 14 different versions of the same mold. It'd probably break down pretty quickly repainting it that many times. That being said, the ones I want to see the most are Sky-Byte and Hammerstike. If we can at least get those two so I'd be happy with just that. Maybe Takara would make Hellscream and Sharp Edge. That would most likely be it for that mold.

It would probably be more likely that if the Gnaw mold does get repainted that it would just be slight variations on the G1 colors. Sort of like they do with the Junkion mold but without any new held molds. That's be fine too as long as they're not exact copies I'll get some extras. I just thought it would be interesting to see G1 Sharkticon versions of other shark characters.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

What would be fun (and something I can actually see Hasbro doing) is later waves/revisions having slightly different versions of the standard Sharkticon color scheme. Same colors, different layout. More akin to what they did with Cybertron Scrapmetal.

3. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be too bothered by an "army builder" 2-pack that had a more colorful TR Scourge (just called "Sweep" and a somewhat different deco of Gnaw (just called "Sharkticon", I don't really care how different it is). Basically just commander versions of the character since my TR Scourge army is already built due to the sale at Walmart.

+-MWG-+

4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Transformers Devestation had generic battlechargers, seekers and Insecticons. There was a generic enemy with a Blitzwing body and black/red deco. The battlechargers looked like Runabout/Runamok and were in baby blue and yellow decos. The generic seekers were in pastel purple, dark red and black. I really liked the idea of generic enemies because it really gives the feeling that Megatron has an army at his command. Astrotrain never got repainted into other characters. I always thought it would be cool if his design got reused as a generic enemy, just for the hell of it. Same with Octane.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Re: Gnaw, this is one case where I'd rather not see him repainted into a pre-existing character (i.e. Overbite or Hellscream). The Sharkticon design is so unique it really just doesn't fit any other characters, to me. Now, what I WOULD be up for, is having it repainted into different troopbuilder-style variations on a Sharkticon, the way they do with, say, Stormtroopers in a SW toy line or Cobra Vipers in G.I. Joe. Give us some "stealth" Sharkticons, some "arctic" Sharkticons, some "swamp" Sharkticons, things like that. Or distinguish them as new individualized characters... a "Sharkticon General" or something.

In terms of other unlikely repaints I'd want, my biggest one right now is TR Mindwipe in a color scheme homaging Convertors Robat. Screw Onyx Primal, Robat is the black repaint I want from this mold.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Of course the Sharkticon fits other characters because they're all sharks. And they also don't fit because the Sharkticons, despite being called that, really never looked like sharks. The fact that they are sharks is why it does work but the fact that they don't really look that way is why it doesn't. This is why they're unlikely repaints.

Your idea for Sharkticon repaints I think could actually happen... except the Sharkticon general part because I'm pretty sure Gnaw already is the Sharkticon general.

Also I wouldn't mind getting packs of these things along with the Quintessons. I don't think Quintessons would sell really well on their own, especially with a G1 design, being non-transforming things that kids probably wont care about. But if they sold different two packs with each Quintesson type and a Sharkticon, then kids might buy them. There are nine different Quintesson body types which means if each one was sold in a Sharkticon two pack we could have an army of ten total Sharkticons including the single packed Gnaw figure. They are affiliated with the Quints so this might be a good way for Hasbro to market Quintesson toys to kids is by troop building Sharkticons.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    G2 Legends Gnaw. MP Universe deco Optimus Primal. Onyx Primal. Albitron. C-Rom/D-Rom. Webdiver Gradion inspired Railracer. (Needs transparent neon green windows.) Micromaster combiners. I don't care, go nuts. I love those sets. SG Chromedome and Rewind. Solarbot.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'd be down for some Dinobot decoed Sharkticons.
    "Inspired to revolt against their Quintesson Masters by Grimlock's stirring words of "Me Grimlock say, execute them!" these Sharkticons have donned the colourscheme of grey, gold, and red in tribute to their great Hero"

or maybe some Junkion coloured "Rust Sharks"

now for some non-sharkticon ideas
    Generations Tracks redecoed in Yellow and black as Bumblebee, in homage to his Construct-Bots Triple changer toy.

and personally I wanna see some "Knights of Unicron" universe repaints for the rest of the WFC/FOC Toys

9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the Leader Seeker mold repainted as the purple and turquoise Seeker drones.

Any Tracks toy repainted as Backstreet.

TR Hardhead as Gutcruncher.

TR Skullcruncher as Gatoraider

Energon Divebomb as Banzaitron

Generations Trailbreaker as Kick Off

I love Action masters and I've actually done those repaints myself.

I'd like new scout size Firecon molds with Flamefeather and Sparkstalker repainted in their G2 colours as drones.
    And Cindersaur repainted in his Japanese green as his drone.

TR Wheelie as Dion and Blackjack.

Another repaint I did. TR Sentinel Prime as Thunderwings inner both with Nucleon for the head.

Energon Omega Supreme with a new head as Astrotrain.

10. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I know TakaraTomy will do it, but I doubt we'll see a Greatshot repaint out of TR Sixshot. Even less likely a Shadow Maru, even if we did get "Greatsix" as part of Deathsaurus' crew in MTMTE issue 39.

A Battle Gaia and Guard City would really be pushing the repaint limits too :) 

All the best
    Maz

11. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I'd love to have an entire wave of sharkticons and repaints!

12. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the idea of odd/unexpected repaints. The Gnaw ideas are cool.

I feel like they don't do it as much as before. Some that stick out were in the movie subline:

Axor from Lockdown
    Space Case from Terradive
    Dark steel/Quickstrike from Sideswipe

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Yes finally, I've been wandering if anyone was ever going to post their own ideas. As fun as it is to just keep building on mine if I just wanted to talk about Sharkticons all the time I would of named this thread Unlikely Sharkticon repaints. lol

That being said, I just realized another shark Transformer I forgot to include in my original list. Mainly because it's a fuzor and also part bird. The most unlikely repaint of them all. Rather than just being a repaint, make this one a slight retool so that the Sharkticon's arms are replaced with wings. They'd also have to retool that connection point where the arms attach because you really need a ball joint for the wings not just a swivel. Anyway, with that minor retooling and a new paint job to match the BW version you get a G1 Air Hammer.

Also a couple other ideas I've had for a while. Predacon The Fallen (Megatronus Prime) The dude is constantly on fire so it only makes sense to repaint a Dragon Transformer to represent him as a Predacon. I had two different ideas for this.

BM Megatron: His head sculpt has that mask that kind of looks like the vents on WW Fallen. Either a repaint of the original toy or cause that toy was horrible... can we get a Generations version of BM Megatron that's actually show accurate and then repaint that into the Fallen?

Or a more recent figure... I kind of think Prime Beast Hunters Predaking already looks like the Fallen with his current color scheme. If they'd just mold the grey parts in black he'd be good to go. The only thing he really needs to go from looking like Predaking to looking like the Fallen is a new head sculpt.

I was also thinking, of some Combiner Wars repaints based on Skyfall, Landquake, Breakaway, Topspin, Heatwave, Clocker, Mainspring, Chaindrive, Pinion, and Cannonspring. If you don't know what all these characters have in common, the first five are the names of the bots who combine into BotCon Nexus Prime while the last five are the names of the bots who combine to form Nexus Prime according to the Covenant of Primus.

I think Combiner Wars had about 18 entirely unique molds. Trying not to include any retools but despite TFWiki telling me that Swindle is a retool of Rook I'm not seeing it. I mean Swindle actually has proper hands instead of those plug into the front of the fist things that Rook is stuck with. Anyway, my thinking is that the old BotCon set and the Covenant are both correct. Nexus Prime can be formed by multiple different individuals not necessarily one specific team of five. So why not repaint each of the unique CW molds into a Nexus Prime component? We only have ten characters who we know can form Nexus Prime which gives us about eight others who either won't get repaints or need to be named. And of course the combiner torsos all need to have their combiner heads remolded to homage the old BotCon combiner head for Nexus Prime.

Skyfall would be made from the Firefly mold.
    Landquake would be made using the Brawl mold.

Breakway would be the Air Raid mold.

Topspin would be the Alpha Bravo mold.

Heatwave would be the Hot Spot/Onslaught mold. I can't decide which version of that mold because the original Heatwave was made from an Onslaught toy but now Heatwave is a fire truck.

Clocker would be made from the Breakdown mold.

Mainspring would be made from the Rook mold.

Chaindrive would be made from the Off Road mold.

Pinion would be made from the Deluxe Groove mold.

Cannonspring would be made from the Motormaster mold.

That just leaves Silverbolt as a third possible torso. Dead End, Swindle, Skydive, Drag Strip and Strafe, as possible new limbs. Plus Blackjack and Legends Groove as chest pieces. These would all need to be made into entirely new characters.

Yeah I skipped the Sky Lynx mold because I don't really like it as an individual character.

If each mold got repainted into a Nexus Prime character, with each Torso getting a new combiner mode head to homage the original BotCon version, this could be the best mix and match combiner set ever. No matter how you put it together it's always going to be a Nexus Prime. Plus you have the potential to actually build three Nexus Prime's with one limb left over. With other combiner sets, yeah you can mix and match parts from different sets but then when it's not an official combination, what the heck do you call it? Defpersor? Mefensor? I don't know what that is.

I think we've seen all the repaints we're ever going to get out of Combiner Wars already so really doubtful to ever get a last final wave of just Nexus Prime toys.

14. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Well, i you want some unlikely repaints. I'd go with stuff like the Armada G1-model generics, considering that people wouldn't really relate with some random background filler bot. Though, that will mean Demolishor or any Armada-themed combiner would have enough members for said teams.

Heck it could give Galvatronus a few good number of limbs himself.

But i also had a few other ideas. One being any Shockwave in N-4-SR colors. (Mostly Grey with purple for the connectors)

And one being Suppressor from CW Hotspot (Colors homaging the Universe Minicon of the same name.)

[​IMG]

Ofcourse i took some artistic liberties with the deco patterns for the head.

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two words:

Ninja Sharkticons.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Will it be bundled with some Pirate Sharkticons?

• Like Like x 1
  17. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    oooohhhhhh i'd love that. especially if the deco on the Pirate sharkies was based on Captain Shark from Brave of Gold: Goldran

18. BottleOfFuture

BottleOfFuture Weaponizer

Mindwipe into Bomb-Burst. Make it happen.

If we get a new Kup and a new Wreck-Gar, we could get a Crosshairs and a Sideways out of that.

19. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I really try to avoid repaints where possible, but the only repaint that I do want is a toy-accurate MP Tracks. I really don't like the tiny pistol and cartoon face they gave him. If a Loudpedal KO happens, I'll probably just buy one of those and repaint the face and swap the parts.

20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Well we have gotten background characters before... it's rare but it happens. When I first saw Sunstorm and Acid Storm my first thought was who the hell are they? I had to actually look them up to find out they're based on generic Seekers who were previously unnamed in the G1 cartoon.

I actually just looked this up. I've also found that Hotlink and Bitstream have toys and those were the guys seen with Sunstorm in the G1 cartoon. The two dudes seen with Acid Storm were Nova Storm and Ion Storm. Acid Storm is the only one of that group with an actual toy unless you count Kreos.

You know that just makes me think of a bunch of Sharkticons painted to match the various Seacon repaints. They were a group of Pirates, there are about four different versions of the group in different color schemes. Though some times missing a member of the team because they were originally designed to have six members. Each of the limbs also had a weapon mode that the combiner mode could hold but without the sixth member their weapon modes were kind of useless as no one could hold them. Anyway they're all kind of similar to the Sharkticons to begin with, at least to my color blind eyes. The biggest change would be when when the BWII version suddenly goes from grey to bright white.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016