Universe Wave One Prototype Photos

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    These prototype pictures honestly look a LOT better than the photos in the Club magazine. For one, everything seems to be transformed correctly...

2. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

I just want to see Jazz, really.

Also, I hope these don't hit for a while now. I'll be out of cash with Animated. Animated should have started in January :( 

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Guys, in the club photos, was Powerglide's tail section closer to the engines?

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The site says that the first wave will be hitting around August, so if the release date for Animated here in the states doesn't change from what we've been told, than Universe will be out not too long after Animated is out. Needless to say, but, I'm no longer going to be a completionist with Animated, though there are a good amount of them that I plan to get (honestly, there are too many different versions of Prime and Megs in the same line for my liking).

5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Animated what now?

These all look unbelievable to me.
    Sunstreaker and prowl are basically Alternators at a Deluxe scale. (Prowls even got Alt Bluestreak/Smokescreen's gun)
    Octane's Jet is a little iffy, but the bot mode is sick beyond belief.
    the engine placement on Powerglide's bot mode is a little weird, but he's such a cool update of the original.

So glad there will be something for me to buy this year.

Edit: Bring on Smokescreen, Bluestreak, Red Alert and Sideswipe, mmmmmkay!!!

6. NightWatch

NightWatch Member

Ebay:
    This makes my wallet hurt...

7. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Nice toys, way better than I was expecting. All the ultras have there quirks..Tankor isn't that great in two modes, terrible in the third, Onslaught is a little studdy (cybertron razorbeast?), and powerglide is top heavy. I'll skip Tankor, probably Onslaught, but hell yes powerglide.

Sunstreaker and Prowl will fit in really well with BB and Rodimus, and are absolutely top notch looking figures.

Happy.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, thoughts having read and seen it all:

Opening movie on the Universe page = I am VERY sure it's not from TF:Tatakai, but don't hold me to that. Very cool.

Bill Rawley is a big damn hero and needs to become a Botcon mainstay.

Sunstreaker - So much more solid-looking with everything in the proper place.

Prowl - Hello perfect update. I'm excited to see the 'innovative head reveal'.

Tankor - Excellent notes, again I'm curious to see this head-reveal. The wings on the plane are dinky but honestly not as bad as I'd come to understand, especially for another Deluxe triplechanger. Truck mode is excellent and robot mode looks maniacal.

Powerglide - The headsculpt is excellent, but he's not beefy in the way I'd hoped. I was wanting to see some gigantic headcrusher meatfists. Still, I'm happy about the shoulder-transformation homage.

Onslaught - To hell with combining, he transforms into a stocky deathtank. XD

I'm glad that I'll have two excellent TF lines to collect come the summer. :D 

9. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    one last thing i wanted to comment about is that onslaught doesn't combine whihc in some way is kind of a let down, but i do recall reading somewhere, they would be having a combiner. not sure where i read it and who it was from but i could've sworn it was one of the memebrs from hasbro. anyhow, it's a shame we have to wait till august to get these. theres never any pleasing us fans. lol

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I am disappointed in Octane :(  But the rest look cool.

11. dbec1

dbec1 Well-Known Member

quick question I'm not new to TF's, but im new to collecting.Do they ever offer up unpainted version (like the ones pictured) ?

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ not officially, usually only obtainable through ebay early on.

If it takes them NOT being a combiner to get team leaders, then I'm fine with that. Bring on Hun-grrr (however you spell it) and Scattershot!

13. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    At the last Botcon they said that they wouldn't rule out the possibility of a combiner. They never said that there was one in the works at all.

14. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    one last nitpick, i think Onslaught would look better in vehicle mode if he had 8 wheels. Still think he rocks (minus the shield)

The design notes were a very nice touch, please keep it up.

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, I was trying to describe them as best as I could over there to people who had questions. I'm MUCH more excited about the figures seeing these properly transformed pics. The club mag pics just weren't great.

My comparisons of protos versus club mag pics are here.

Although, as cool as Octane looks in that action pose, I noticed they've taken the picture in such a way that covers up a lot of the flaws I have with robot mode. If you look closely, you can see that his claw/blade weapon is covering up both his INSANELY skinny upper arm, and his fairly skinny upper leg. Still looks much better than the club pic.

16. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to run to my post-office, punch the side of the building repeatedly, and scream "I WANT MY TRANSFORMER NEWSLETTER!" until they dig it out of the mailroom and throw it at my feet so I'll take it and go away!

But for those who've gotten it, are Powerglide's robot bits red and plane-kibble white?

17. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime *SCREAMS* Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh HELLS yeah.

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Wow and wow. Then another wow... oh, two more wows.

Sunstreaker, now that I see him a little more proper, looks better than the color Club pic I saw - but I think part of the reason he looked odd in that one was because the car roof on his chest looks a little broad at the base compared to the rest of his body. I'm stoked for him and Sideswipe.

Prowl is AWESOME. OMG, he's like a Deluxe sized alternator-esque update, much the same way I felt about Alt. Silverstreak vs G1 Bluestreak - which I thought was just amazing (despite being a different car, if you cut it down to simple things, they had the same transformation... arms under the hood, which becomes the chest, head pops up from the hood, rear windshield for legs). Granted, Prowl, Bluestreak and Smokescreen are some of my favorite G1 characters because they were among my first TFs ever... so I may be biased, but this just gives me goosebumps. And the fact that they used the modern version of the same car (it IS the modern version of the same car, right?)... I couldn't see how they'd make it look good before I saw these pics... but, well, I had faith that I'd like it, and I sure do!

Octane (sorry, won't call him Tankor) looks sweet. Sure the wings are kinda small... and he'll look even smaller, considering he's only a deluxe, but I think it'll work out okay in the end, as long as you can look beyond scale. I like how the bot mode has some kinda movie-like qualities to it, while still being distinctly Classics (well, color pictures may change that, I guess). I like him, I think he'll be a fun toy.

Powerglide. Well, he looks awesome, but talk about out of left field. He looks really cool, that's for sure. I like how they made a point to keep the wings accurate to G1.

Onslaught... my only gripe is that his alt mode just looks kinda squished. Bot mode looks kinda like a cross between Onslaught and Bruticus... so yeah, I doubt he'll be a combiner member. That sucks.

Luckily for me, I'm really a huge fan of the Deluxe and Voyager size classes, and the two I'm least impressed with are neither Deluxe, nor Voyager. Of course, I want those two anyway.

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Nope the only diff between the proto pic and the club pic was it was in color, and the gun in front was turned around so the missile launcher faced out. That's the final jet mode you're seeing.

20. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    must..stop..drooling...