Universe Wave One Prototype Photos

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    ^^ Yes.

2. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Does Hasbro have any intentions of mixing in any toys from the previous run of Classics? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but couldn't find any answers.

It seems it would be worth it so they could work in some existing toys, and Hasbro does it all the time with Star Wars.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't like the way they've coloured powerglide, he looks less like him and more like Wingsabre

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

I gotta disagree with the "Beast Wars figures are still too good to be redone" mentality. For the Transmetals and such, I might agree, but not the older figures; simply having ball-jointed articulation doesn't put a figure like the first Cheetor, or Blackarachnia anywhere near today's level. Leaps and bounds better than much of what came before, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.
    I'd love to see a Dinobot figure where his ribs/bot legs aren't hanging out in dino-mode. Or a Cheetor whose cat head doesn't stick out nearly as far as his arms can reach. Or a Terrorsaur who isn't so damned tiny compared to everybody else. Hell, decent beast-mode articulation would justify updating a lot of them.
    Anyways, I don't think we'll see anything from Beast Wars or beyond in this line. Way too short of a line, and considering that Hasbro clearly intends this to be a continuation of Classics (they've said as much already, not to mention whats on their Universe site) I don't think we'll see anyone outside G1 (maybe G2). Afterall, the whole first wave is straight up G1 updates; what makes anyone thinks that will change any time soon?
    Down the line, who knows? but I wouldn't hold your breath for the time being.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do agree on some beast war toys deserving and needing upgrades. Just, not all of them, and as you said, they are leaps and bounds beyond most G1 in terms or articulation and such, so I just mean they don't need the overhaul to the same degree. Honestly, I'm all for upgraded versions of characters, 5 years old or 20, but I'm just trying to think along the lines of what this line wants to accomplish.

6. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's not going to be as short as the first one, so far we've got listings for legends, robot heroes, 9 deluxes, 8 voyager and 4 ultras and their could easily be more to come.

Plus I don't think Hasbro reclassified it as Universe just for kicks.

Edit: Forgot to say that I don't belive repaints are counted in those numbers.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  7. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the two main TF lines right now, the movie and Animated, each have a very unique design aesthetic.

So to me the best thing about Universe is that if a designer has an idea for a kick-ass robot that doesn't match either of those looks, there's a slot for that toy to go.

More TFs = :D 

8. RodimusMark

RodimusMark Infamous Fighter of Foo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, as some have said, I definately see some of the movie influence in these, but I love them all the same. Can't wait to get some more autobots in. August is a really long ways away though.

In regards to Universe Beast Wars figures, I would be all for something like a Transmetals Cheetor redo, or something like that. There were a few figures that were extremely hard to find where I lived, and he was one of them, but that is my personal opinion. However, I'd like to fill out some more of the IDW G1 Roster before we get any of the Beast Wars characters. Oh, and some War Within too. and some Cybertronian modes. and some other things that I deem more important than BW.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Evidently, they didn't reclassify it; from how it's listed on their site, they just umbrella-ed Classics under Universe (along with Robot Heroes and such). Actually, if I recall, umbrella was even the term they used at Botcon. Anyways, whether they reclassified it or umbrella-ed it or whatever, the whole first wave is G1, so I don't think being under the Universe banner is a sign that we'll see more than G1 or G2 updates any time soon (sadly; I want updated Beast Wars and such :(  ).
    Maybe when the next movie comes out they'll switch the focus away from G1, but I wouldn't hold your breath on any of the 8 deluxes/ 4 ultras/ or however many voyagers that we've heard about so far being from other series.

10. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:

WOAH, WHAT NOW!!!!

First i'd heard of Voyagers...

11. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Voyagers are confirmed. 8 Voyagers are not ... but it's a fair guess taking into account that listing for '8 Universe Figures' with no size class attached.

-airfox

12. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Hot Shot and maybe Red Alert from A/E/C

Hasn't the jam-loving freak already had six or so figures to his name? I'd rather see Hot Spot- that Onslaught mold would be a quick repaint.

As for Red Alert, a straight repaint of the Sideswipe mold would be acceptable.

13. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    well i'll be dipped, first i've heard of it.
    more Classics is happy Artiepants.
    lollercoptors

14. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Why is it called Universe? Is that supposed to be in conjunction with the classics? Or is it an etirely new series or line-up?

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    While they are using the name Universe, Classics is the main focus of it (for at least this first set). They've gone with the name Universe over keeping the name Classics, so they could mix in other figures that wouldn't have gone into the line if it was just Classics. I personally think it would be awesome to see some of the Transtech designs finally come out as toys in this line (yeah, there have been a couple of Transtech-like designs used since then, but, nothing straight from them as of yet).

16. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Man Powerglide looks 100% better. They all shall be mine!

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    I would LOVE some Universe Beast Wars.

For one, a new Terrorsaur and Rattrap (originals) would make my day.

Dinobot would be an absolute MUST for a remake.

Blackarachnia - I'd settle for a retool of her Animated self. It's close enough.

Primal and Megatron - the recent BWX reissues and new molds were awesome. But if anything, their Transmetal forms need rereleases - I MUST have a new Megatron (and a Primal at that!)

18. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

I was about to stop buying transformers since seeing most of the animated line didn't suit my taste. Then I see this and can't help but get anxious about new transformers again. Thank god Hasbro still caters to the collectors.

19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am still hopin Dispensor/Dewbot gets a good transforming toy in this line