Universe toys = garbage (to me that is)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltraDevmodious, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    This.
    DN

2. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    No, I didn't. I commented on the definition of "main" or "second" as in regards to G1 Prowl in the cartoon and movie. I didn't comment on it in regards to this line

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I got Prowl some time ago (a couple weeks), and no QC issues. Transformation is alright (has some annoying bits, and I hate his door wings...). It's nice to have a good G1 Prowl figure (as I've always been fond of him). However, the line just is so...bland to me. There are some figures I do intend to get (mostly 25th anniv. stuff), but as a whole, it's just not that interesting of a line. Much prefer Animated, which is full of character (not to try and sway this to an Animated vs Classics discussion, just throwing my thoughts out there).

4. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I guess I worded my post wrong . I was trying to respond to the fact that Nerdling had commented "Also, I could buy into a line of repaints like RID but not a line of meaningless background characters. So yeah, Classics 2.0 FTL"

To me he was saying that he wont buy classics because he will only buy main characters, and like someone else posted, there were only like 6 MAIN characters. I guess i just didnt understand what he meant by that post.

And I would still argue, even if he wasnt "First Tier", that Prowl definitely was a 'main' character in the animated G1. As for the comment that Prowl never had a single episode dedicated to him. Most of the original cast didnt either. (some did) they didnt really start giving whole episodes to one character until the second year of the toys came out. The first year basically all the characters were in just about all the episodes. Many of those episodes allude to the fact that Prowl is second in command after Optimus. To me that warrants him being a pretty main character. Yes, not on the same level as Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, and Bumblebee, but he would have to be in the very next group of bots IMO.

5. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Onslaught is fine. Its not just Universe that has QC issues

6. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    Only Universe QC I've had is Prowl's window/roof/side paint apps. They're terrible, scratch off easily. I will probably buy a new one and return the older one in that packaging. Sunstreaker and Octane are fine...Animated is much worse for me.

7. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
  8. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Since, there has been confusion let me ask, Nerdling, what did you mean when you said you would not buy into a line of meaningless background characters?

Did you mean Prowl, sunstreaker, octane, hound, et etc are all meaningless background characters?

If so, which characters did you want the classics line to make? (Dozens of versions of the main six characters?)

Shouldn't it be understood that a line named "Classics" is going to try to make as many of the original characters as possible, regardless of how important they were?

I actually LOVE the fact that they are making the background characters. There are dozens of Primes and Megs out there to choose from. I would much rather have a new version of Hound or Sunstreaker etc, seeing that there are not as many of them that exist. Also, since those were the toys/characters that I had grown up loving and playing with I am thrilled that they are making these guys (I mean come on didnt everyone love the idea of a new Cosmos!!! Just my opinion though....

9. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Ok, there is already a whole thread on that pic- no need to bring it up again here...

10. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Ohhhhh, but there is...and I did.

11. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

A little of both, actually. IIRC the first few waves of Classics 1.0 didn't contain any repaints at all. I know they released Ultra Magnus, Skywarp, and Cliffjumper but they were later in the line. The fact that we're getting repaints of toys from the original line in this line definitely irks me a little. I truly understand the reason for repaints, it's just a little disappointing for me.

I do not, however, agree with repainting the toys from Cybertron and tagging them with the Universe "Classics" name. The really cool part of the Classics line was that we were getting new molds of these characters. This act just feels like cheating to me.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I'll still be buying most of these toys.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been doing some thinking...despite Prowl looking bland, I will pick him up maybe abit later. The rational is to support the line. However, I will be focusing on the '84 bots and cons though! :)