Heavy/Scratch: Universe Skyfall Upgrade (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Venksta, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys. So I'm running into issues with getting the guns casted. They are taking longer to make and at the same time, getting castings that are good to sell. So I'd like to know, how many of you are fine with a cheaper kit, that comes with 1 gun? How many want 2 guns? Or an option to buy a second gun?

Also, how many of you just want the head and visor? I'm thinking of doing two sets now. Let me know what you guys think.

2. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

personally...i would be happy with the head/visor and 1 gun...since he already comes with his "factory supplied" rifle ....

3. King_Kat

King_Kat the sofa-king great one

sweet

4. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm getting the whole shebang. Awesome work Venksta!

5. Venksta

News Credits:
    Ok, some bad news about the project. Please read carefully, then give me your opinion. This can kill the entire project, and my future kits I've planned.

So as I said yesterday, the guns are taking long to cast, and getting castings that are good enough to sell. I've had one issue that has popped up in about 3/4s of the casted guns. Their two little air bubbles near the back of the gun, on both sides. I've tried to figure out a way to get rid of them, but haven't found any solution. The two bubbles are on opposite sides, so their kind of symmetrical in placement. Do to their placements on most of the guns, I thought they could pass off as part of the design, and since their only noticeable from the back, or back angle.

This issue on the gun is the reason I decided to do 3 separate sets. And tried to lower the cost of the kit as well. Anyways, take a look at the photos below. I've put some extreme closeups of the bubbles, to show where they are. So let me know if this is something acceptable for you, and if you would still buy the sets with the guns. If not, I'll go back to the drawing board to see whats the best way to release what I've casted, and get back what I've invested in this project.

Attached Files:

6. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

That is not a problem with me at all...sign me up for a rifle and the head/visor kit like i said before...i think that looks awesome!

7. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tiny air bubbles like that aren't going to kill it for me...I'd still take em! (In fact I'll take that one pictured right now! :) )

Dude, and a lucky draw transparent red gun!?!?!?!?!?!?! NEED. If I don't get it, I would like to throw out immediately that I would like to buy it from whoever does! Hahaha, I needs me some transparent goodness!

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude those tiny little marks are nothing, I get way worse flaws from many of my official hasbro products. Don't you dare give up from something so minor that many of us wouldn't have really noticed without your extreme zoom in

9. enter-the-robot

enter-the-robot Well-Known Member

Not a big problem with bubbles. I have seen alot worse. Still looks great!!

10. Venksta

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone for your opinions on this matter. Now I don't feel depressed from doing all that casting so far. :D 

For those that just saw the message about the tiny bubbles on the gun, feel free to continue sharing your opinions.

Once I figure out the shipping prices for the sets, I'll try to start taking orders asap, by going through the thread and contacting those that showed interest, by chronological order. I hope to have 75 to 90 sets casted, to date, by the end of this week. So that should be enough for everyone that posted in this thread, plus for my skyfall thread on other boards.

11. Spark

Spark General Electric

Those bubbles don't bother me one bit. It's just like glossing over mold scratches and soft edges on Hasbro and Takara stuff. No big deal at all.

12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    For give the possible silly question but is resin dyable? If so I was wondering if later I could snag a couple sets un colored or perhaps you could do the colors for an extra fee.

13. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not worried about bubbles. Still want them.

14. Venksta

News Credits:
    Big update later today, with photos of the finished kit and pricing. I'll start sending PM's to people to start taking preorders, after. There is already over 100 people that have shown interest in buying a kit in this thread alone!

The resin I use, can be dyed. But the base color is a translucent amber, when not dyed. I don't plan to release the kit any other colors, except for a limited run in red, later.

15. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    question?
    could i pay for the kit when you start taking orders, that would be:
    1 head w/visor
    2 guns

and at a later date when you have the limited run red visor pay for that also.
    that would be two seperate orders, cause i really want the red visor.

16. Venksta

News Credits:
    Actually, all the kits come with a yellow and red visor.

17. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    oh okay thats great then. I think made a mistake on that last question, what i ment to say was can i order the 2 red guns in a seperete order when ready? so i could have both, i have idea to use them on different custom that comes to mind right now.

18. Venksta

News Credits:
    Some updates...

First off, an issue with the helmet design I just noticed today... Man, I gotta stop finding these things at this stage. :lol  So when you attach both helmet pieces, I noticed that the bottom area doesn't line up. So there is a gap. The reason I never noticed this, is because the front piece of the helmet has an extension, that goes past the joint where both helmet pieces meet. So it basically covers up this cap. The gap only happens when you join the helmet pieces on the neck joint. But if you connect them off the figure, they line up perfectly. I think the reason is that the diameter for the neck joint I used, was off. Anyways, this is an issue people won't really notice. And it doesn't affect the the kit itself. The head can still rotate, and go into the chest when transforming. But its kind of a bad design flaw on my part, so I'm letting you guys know now, in case some one notices. I'll have to watch out for this stuff on the Blaster kit, and other future projects. I guess its part of the learning curve.

Second update, photos. Took photos of a finished kit, along with showing off what you can expect with your Skyfall to look like with each of the different sets. So if you just want the head, you can see how he looks with it, along with the stock gun. :) 

Third thing, the rifles in jetmode. They can attach, but depending on your figure, they could loosen and fall off, if you want to pretend he can fly. For display purpose, it works fine. When attaching, you have to fiddle with it for a couple seconds and try to push the rifle in. I'm not sure if its my Skyfall, or if the mold degraded. But I tried attaching the rifle to Silverbolt in jet mode, and found it has a nice tight fit. Easier and better than Skyfall. And same for Darkwind. The rifles fit on him better in jetmode than Skyfall. But otherwise, for those that wanted the rifles to fit in jetmode, now you know, you can. :) 

Attached Files:

19. Venksta

News Credits:
    Second set of photos.

Attached Files:

20. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    pure awesome.