Universe RID Constructicons...

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Razerwire, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I finally opened mine up the other night. My only complaint so far is that the legs on Hightower and Long Haul don't seem to fit tightly in alt mode. I just can't get them to stay together. I packed up my original Build Team so I haven't been able to check and see if they were like that too.

2. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

great job i say soo

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Finally found them today, and I did have to use the sku number (thanks for that! :D ). The Target employee was happy to get them for me.
    Yes, they are straight repaints, but I'm a constructicon fan, not to mention the color scheme is great...that's what had me sold since we first heard about them. My only gripe is they didn't release them as a box set like the yellow Landfill. I would've bought two.
    I didn't have any QC issues other than what parts are flimsy to begin with on the original set, so I'd highly recommend this set! :thumb 

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Universe Devastator

Well, I found myself at Target, and decided what the heck, and picked up the four constructicons. I also had Overbit and Repugnus, but couldn't feel the love, and put them back.

This isn't really going to be much a review, more of some thoughts; I debated not posting this at all, but figured there should be something for these guys.

How long have we waited for this? A Devastator version of Build King, in the color scheme and featuring Decepticon symbols?

Technically, this is the fourth time these figures have been released, Build King, Landfill, Universe Landfill, and now this version, and is the only Decepticon version of the mold. Personally, I passed on Build King and Landfill, but picked up the Universe Landfill. What can I say? I'm a sucker for unified color schemes and good prices.

If you love Devastator, or this mold, this is a must get. Personally, I do like the mold, and while Hasbro did a nice job, they fell just a little short of the fantastic mark.

I can understand them breaking it up, 2 each to a box, but I certainly feel sorry for anyone who can't find both to complete the figure, because really, I think it's the gestalt mode that sells this, not the individual components.

They bothered to use a G1 color scheme, and repaint all the figures with red decepticon eyes, but leave the Devastator head with blue eyes; it really doesn't look right. Personally, there's also some issues where I think different colors (not shades, but applications) would've gone a long way. Additionally, the Dump Truck (i'm not using names) has by design, an upside down Decepticon logo on his chest in robot mode, and as a leg in combined mode. Weird.

Personally, I think the best configuration is the crane piece as the arms, and the other two as legs as a Devastator homage.

As individual robots, they are rather underwhelming, and I noticed they have some really tight joints.

$30 for four deluxes is a pretty good deal, not as good as $15 for them, but you pay more for the homage. :)  It's a neat figure and I'm glad I got it, but this isn't a absolute must get, IMHO.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, the combined robot head has clear yellow eyes (kinda like the original Devastator toy), though it looks darker since they aren't backlit.

On my Devastator build Team, the joints are titght, but a little sloppy, probably due to plastic choices and the use the mold has gotten over the years. A few things I think would have improved this repaint are:

NOT going with mostly purple for Scavenger and Long Haul's dump truck bed.

Painting the heads/helmets of the individual bots black, for a more Constructicon-ish appearance

Flipping Long Haul's symbol, so it's not frikkin' upside down!

I bought an extra Long Haul/Hightower set, so Scavenger could be replaced by a second Hightower with Scavenger's shovel. Overall, for what it is, I'm pretty pleased with the set.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he's one sweet toy, but it would've kicked even more ass had it had 6 constructicons, not just for the obvious reasons, but then you could've had it where all four limbs were roughly the same size, as well as a more broad chest... but for being a repaint, I'm in love... and yes my only complaint is the darned upside-down con symbol.

Andy

7. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

The tread assembly on my Constructicon bucket shovel seems to fit together better than the one on my yellow WalMart Landfill version. On the other hand, the claw on the shovel arm doesn't spring out when I pull the arm back like on the yellow one, I have to pull it out with my fingernail. Though I guess I'm not sure which way it's actually supposed to be.

No real surprises if you have one of the previous sets, but it looks good.

[​IMG]

8. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I think this is a big improvement on Wal-Mart Landfill. He's far less floppy, and fits together better, and has an overall better color scheme (IMO). I didn't like the yellow/brown "dirt"/silver "wear" scheme on Landfill; it was just too busy, the way they did it.

Funnily enough, I got 'em on a whim a few weeks ago, and then wondered what I was doing. I've never been a big fan of the Build Team. Yet, when I saw Devastator combined, I was happy I'd done it--this is actually a cool gestalt when it's painted well.

The upside-down faction symbol on Long Haul also annoys me, but I kind of expected it, since it was upside down in the Landfill giftset, too.

9. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

This set isn't bad if your Target has them on clearance. I'm a sucker for construction vehicles, although the bot modes looked kind of funny to me. I like hoe there's three different ways to make Devastator.

What this set lacks in looks it makes up for in play value.

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

I really like the set, but wish it hadn't taken so long to get released. Other than the upside down con symbol, its a great set if you liked the build team (and especially if you're a Constructicon fan).

11. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I just bought these tonight. Haven't opened them yet, though I'll get around to it later. Target had them on clearance for 11.88, So $24.something for all four seemed good to me. Just from lookin' at them in the box, I have two complaints, but I like everything else I see.

Cons:
    - too much purple! (and purple's my favorite color, but still...) For homage color schemess, they overdid the purple on Long Haul and Scavenger.
    - Hightower instead of Hook... Ugh. Ok, trademark loss, I know...

This was the biggest no-brainer repaint idea ever, so I'm glad they finally got around to it. Very nice. :thumb  :thumb 

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'll throw my opinion on the fire while I'm here...

The repaint is as good as it could have been. I know for homage reasons Scavenger should have been green....but damnit he looks awesome in purple!

For me the only satisfying combination for Devastator is Longhaul and Scavenger on the legs, Hook on the arms. I'm bummed that the legs don't move forward when combined, but I'll live.

As for the individual molds.... I love Scavenger and Bonecrusher, Longhaul is OK-ish, and Hook is....a bad remold of Longhaul. It's a shame that if they had to repeat a mediocre design in the set, but it's a combiner, it's a good repaint, and it's cheap. For first-time owners of the mold like me, it's a great purchase.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The legs can move forward/back in combined mode just fine, but you have to arrange the joints right - and remove Bonecrusher/Wedge. :) 

I'm an advocate of the Scavenger-free Devastator myself. He's been replaced by a second Hightower using Scavenger's shovel arm in place of the crane.

14. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    After opening and transforming these guys, I have to say that the green and purple color scheme suits them very well. While I agree with Cheebs that Scavenger does look good in purple, I don't think it works since the other three are primarily green, and he's primarily purple.

Hook and Bonecrusher look the best, with Long Haul appearing slightly odd with his half-grin, and Scavenger being the odd man out with his purple.

Devastator looks good made up of these guys. This is an excellent repaint, despite a few issues I have with it. The original Constructicons were some of my favorites, and it's nice to have new versions.