Universe re-decos speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by butz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

I can't help but wonder just what molds they'll be using for these re-decos that were mentioned in the newsletter. Between the BC exclusives, the Magnus & Skywarp set, and lack of porper characters they could turn them into, I doubt it'd be anything from Classics 1.0. It's safe to assume that at least Sunstreaker and Prowl of 2.0 will get re-decos (for obvious reasons) but who knows if that means part of the first 8 deluxes, or after, along with a bunch of other re-decos. Either way, that would only account for like 2 or 3.
    Anyone else getting the impression that, much like the previous Universe series, there will be a bunch of repaints (and slight remolds) of figures from previous lines (i.e., Cybertron, Energon, whatever)? If thats the case, who could they be? Who hasn't already been repainted up the wazoo? Or into the most obvious characters already? Would the "only real world vehicles" theme still apply, or would that only be for the new molds?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    they could make astrotrain anime colors, grimlock g2 blue, starscream into sunstorm just to name a few off the top of my head.

3. KingForm

KingForm Banned

Armorhide in Movie Prime colors.

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The obvious are Starscream into Sunstorm (or the green/purple MTMTE jets). Less obivous is a G2 coloured (black with purple and turqoise) Ramjet. Called either Stealth Ramjet or Stealthjet, maybe Sky shadow. Mostly I'd want this cause it bugs me that there isn't a 4th conehead. :2c:  Someone (don't remeber who, but I agree totally) observed that Cybertron Mudflap would make a good base for Inferno/Grapple. New head sculpt and a yellow colour scheme for Grapple. With some more major re-tooling to make Inferno. Another could be ultra CDF Red Alert as Perceptor. They did it with the LOC version, so let's that shit full scale! Another would be CDF Scattorshot as Warpath, agian new head. These 3 have realistic alt modes. I've seen pics of the type of soviet IFV that CDF Red Alert is and CDF Scattorshot is a western missile tank. Mudflap I've seen cranes like him too.

5. butz

butz slippery when wet

Sunstorm is a really good candidate. I wouldn't hold your breath on anime Astrotrain though (unless theres something you know that we don't yet ... I'd be down with it if they'd actually do it). G2 Grimlock and generic seekers would be fuggin awesome in my book, but they just seem waaay too obscure for Hasbro to consider. I guess I could see them doing "Night-Attack Grimlock" or whatever in colors that are kinda sorta a G2 homage. All of those would be pretty cool, but Sunstorm is the only one that seems likely to me.
    Mudflap into Grapple is more what I'd expect (hopefully with at least a new head though...) and a voyager to boot. I can't imagine that those proposed voyagers will be new molds, so Mudflap and CDF Scattorshot (with new heads, please!) sound like they could be pretty likely.
    Downshift into Big Daddy would be great, but we're already getting that even earlier :) .

Edit: actually, looking at it, just painting Mudflap's head black might be enough, without a new head sculpt.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Other possibilities may include Energon or Cybertron Downshift into a proper Wheeljack (possibly with an Alt-style scheme if they use Cybertron), even though Energon's pretty close already - the Energon version's got a quite a few other potentials too, like Runabout and Runamuck. CDF Red Alert could also be re-done as Stalker or a new Soundwave. Since Cyb Downshift's been used for a Micromaster upgrade, how about some more? CDF Scattorshot as Flak, perhaps? Hot Shot as Dropshot, Evac as Blaze Master (which admittedly I've already done), or E-Bulkhead as Tracer?

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

paint them all in universe 1 homage with tons of blues, purples, and yellows???

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Lots of good ideas mentioned already.

-More Seekers... generic, G2, Sunstorm, whatever
    -G2 Grimlock
    -Prime into Nemesis Prime (since that seems to be a popular repaint, and since Botcon is doing something different with the mold.)

Also, there's still those Cybertron Scout molds that are begging to be repainted into G1 minibots.... Seaspray, Brawn, Beachcomber, etc.

Maybe even some Real Gears thrown in? Spy Shot into Reflector, Booster into Buzzsaw, High Score into Beastbox, etc.

I dunno... I doubt the line will ever be long or broad enough to really have that many toys in it. And of course I'd rather new molds were created. But easy repaints could help fill some gaps.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Anime Colored Astrotrain - Yes
    Redeco of Cyb Mudflap - won't happen. Poor sales of the mold during Cybertron caused Hasbro to table the planned repaint.

Starscream as Sunstorm - Oh yes.

Movie Longarm repainted as G1 Hoist, doesn't even need a new head really.

Some G2 repaints might be nice, but I wouldn't want to see it over done.

As for the new molds we've seen. We could see some Stunticon love with redecos of Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Or perhaps some G1 Omnibot love? As for the others Im not sure who you could repaint them into and have it work. Prowl already has 2 obvious redecos already. Octane/Tankor, not sure, maybe a UK Pyro deco (If Im thinking of the right guy) or wheelie? :p  Onslaught, the armored car dude from the Military Patrol would be too close to the original I think, perhaps GutCruncher?

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they ment that some of the molds we're getting in Classics 2.0 will be repainted. Prowl into Silverstreak/Smokescreen, Sunstreaker into Sideswipe/Red Alert and so on.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Hehe, personally speaking, I think I will quite literally throw a juvenile fit if the bring in anymore old A/E/C molds, repaint them and call them new Universe Classics. I'm still trying to get over what they did with the Classics Constructicons and am convincing myself that the BotCon figures of key characters like Springer & Jazz made from leftover molds won't affect us getting proper *new mold* versions of them later on, so I will be crushed if it happens again.

Repaints out of the current & upcoming Classics/Universe molds? Sure, I can probably deal with it... so long as they make some sense. What wouldn't make sense imo is a G2 colored Grimlock (always surprised that anyone would actually want that hideous thing, truth be told), Starscream into Sunstorm since he doesn't technically count as a "classic" character regardless of how much some of us have accepted him as one in hindsight, Prime getting Nemesis'd after already being repainted into Magnus and whatever BotCon is doing with the mold this year, or Mirage into Stunticon Dragstrip. IMO, they would all feel like obvious space fillers as opposed to anything that the series would benefit from character wise.

But that's just me.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    There's something in my head that actually thinks it would be cool to see Sunstreaker repainted into Alt. Dead End...on the same concept a Smokescreen in Alt styling might be cool, too, but both as exclusives of some kind, maybe SDCC, mass retail's a bit much for those.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    BW TM2 Megatron in G1 colors
    Jetfire in G2 colors with retooled cockpit and nose and head(this is a lot easier than people think)
    Starscream repainted into Air Raid with a new head
    Cybertron Downshift as Wheeljack

14. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    :drool: 

Man if they do this I'll have to break down and get the BotCon Seekers too.

15. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I would buy that if they did it.

16. butheadimus prime

butheadimus prime Picard?

Ebay:
    Personlly I don't see them using anyof the older series molds and i think the classics 1.0 is done with. All that makes sense with those molds is a sunstorm. They also said that other times and continuities might be considered for this line. Maybe we will get some war within stuff. They mentioned wanting to do galvatron but at the same time this line is supposed to carry on the "realistic" looking vehicles thankfully leaving the armada trilogy out of the mix. Cyclonus was also mentioned too but there is a problem with all that. Humanity doesn't have a hypersonic jet fighter for cyclonus so maybe we see a sr71 cyclonus how bad ass would that be. and galvatron is going to have to take some real imagination to make and in purple too. Artillery guns are camo'ed out so we will see what they come up with. All that being said sunstorm from classics 1.0 and then smoke screen or blue streak for prowls mold the other probebly going to botcon 09 same with red alert out of the sideswipe retool. As for powerglide, octane, and onslaught I don't see any repaints but maybe a retool of onslaught could change him into warpath. I think we get repaints of prowl and sunstreaker in wave 2 but we will have to wait to wave 2 to get molds for another 3 repaints. I think every 2 waves we get 2 or 3 repaints and 2 or 3 new molds that will get repainted withnin the next 2 waves. Around 3 one shot molds each wave too

17. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Were there any pictures of this repaint?

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    they designed these figures with an eye towards being able to spit out repaints and remolds to maximize the molds... I REALLY don't see prow's two most obvious ones going to botcon next year, not at all, heck the line will still be going.

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    deluxe classics Megatron as Impactor

20. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sunstreaker into Sideswipe and Prowl into the Datsun Fairlady Z Boys is a given.

If Universe is to include molds from other TF lines repainted into G1 characters, then I'd like to see Energon Shockblast into Shockwave. Yes, it's redundant (OMG! He's MORE purple now! He finally looks like Shockwave!!) but it's a better alternative to not getting The Mighty Shockwave at all. But I'll hold out some hope for a new mold in this line.

Cybertron Downshift into Wheeljack = Sign me up for one of these, please!

I'd like to see some of those weird Legends repaints applied to the full-size figures (Leo Breaker into Leo Prime/Lioconvoy, Scourge into Trypticon, Evac into Whirl, and CD Red Alert into Perceptor). The Jetfire, Bumblebee, Fireflight, and Menasor repaints can remain Legends-only figures, though.