Universe/Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Red Alert, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

I think the 'Dragon meant his not-wildness about exposed faction symbols was because he had gotten used to their absence in the Alternators line.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm um from Bizarro world. Yeah that's it!

(heh, reading FTW! It would help if I had done my share!)

*eats his foot with mustard*

:lol 

*EDIT: I edited my previous post to reflect me actually reading with the education I have :lol  Thanks for pointing that out for me :confused2 

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Like him a lot, but I'm with SQ7, I will also say he feels a tad cheap, like a "good KO" if you will, and the arms are bothersome, but I guess I can overlook it, considering the custom possibilities :) 

I really want to do a Punch/Counterpunch, maybe with this one and get the Henkei version for the chrome engine.

One simple chrome app makes a hell of a difference...sure wish the Hasbro one had it.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I still think it's funny that we said it at the same time while we were talking last night. :lol 

However, I think my posts in this thread demonstrate why I'd be concerned for your mental health at this point. You're thinking like me, and that's a caution flag for your life right there :lol 

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll second and third that!!!!11!!

6. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3 - not necessary. Just unscrew the knee joints - there's enough give for the lower legs to be popped off and reattached easily.

Full marks to Hasbro for this mold - getting 2 robot modes out of it !

7. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I kinda wish they'd stayed with the rubsign from Classics pt 1. Plenty of Alternators had their faction on their license plate, a few even more exposed than that. But Classics 1 really pushed the "no exposed symbol" thing, and actually helped justify the "rub the rubsign to reveal the faction" idea that was always worthless in G1 due to the many faction stickers. (Yes, I know it was really just an anti-KO thing.)

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Man, I've been so pwned in this thread (even by myself, no less :lol ). SQ7 FTL!

Back on topic, I like that idea as well. Good call :wink: 

9. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My take on Streaker:

[​IMG]
    UNIVERSE / CLASSICS 2.0 SUNSTREAKER

Click on the link for more pics

Robot Mode: Sunstreaker is one of those robots that, at first glance, look okay, but not terribly special. Then you hold him in your hand and play around with him a bit. Then you discover quite a few little details that push him well above average. And in the end you love him. It's that simple. At least for me. But let's break it down.

Sunstreaker is a very posable robot, he can pull off just about any humanly possible pose without too many problems. At times you have to shift the plates on his knees a bit, but apart from that he's not in any way restricted. His elbows are double-jointed and he can even lift his head a bit. So absolutely no complaints on this front.

As far as detailing goes Sunstreaker also looks pretty nifty. Despite having a different transformation design than the G1 figure of the same name, he still managed to look almost identical, having the roof and windshield of his car mode for a torso. His head has been done with a lot of attention to detail, too. It might just be imagination on my part, but I think they even captured his arrogant expression on his face. Well done.

Sunstreaker doesn't really have anything in the way of gimmicks, but he does feature something that has lots of potential for fun and for custom jobs, too. Sunstreaker has been designed with the Sideswipe repaint already in mind and seeing as Sideswipe usually features a different transformation design, Sunstreaker can adapt. Twist his torso around, but the 'backpack' on the other side, twist the arms and the head around, and you have a different figure. It's still Sunstreaker, but now he has the car mode's hood for a torso and looks quite different. I've already seen a Punch/Counterpunch custom made from this figure and it's one of the first things that sprung to my mind as well.

So what's left to say? An excellent robot mode with a very fun feature. The only thing that's a slight letdown here is Sunstreaker's weapon, which is just plain boring, but apart from that he's a great robot. Two thumbs up.

Alternate Mode: In the old days Sunstreaker transformed into a yellow Lambourghini and so the Classics/Universe version also transforms into a yellow sports car. I'm not sure whether that's an actual Lambourghini model or not, but it looks good, that's what counts. The car looks very wholesome, too, and offers little clue that there's a robot hidden inside, even when you look at it from the bottom.

I don't usually say much about the actual transformation of the figure unless it's in some way extraordinary. In Sunstreaker's case I was rather surprised at the complexity of the transformation. It's not difficult, definitely not Alternator or Masterpiece level, but it might just be the most complex transformation I've yet seen in a Deluxe-sized figure. That's not a bad thing, mind you. I enjoy it when the transformation is more than just pulling out legs and standing the car upright.

So bottom line, a very solid, good-looking car mode. No gimmicks here, but Sunstreaker really doesn't need them.

Remarks: In the days of G1 Sunstreaker was the violent bully among the Autobots. The cartoon, more oriented towards a kid audience, didn't show much of that, it just displayed Sunstreaker as someone loving to fight. The comics went a bit further, though, giving us a Sunstreaker who was more concerned with bashing heads and keeping his chrome polish intact than saving lives or any such nonsense. Judging by his profile, this new version of Sunstreaker stays true to his slightly sociopathic roots.

As a figure Sunstreaker is surprisingly good. I really didn't think much of him after seeing the first images on the net. He looked good, sure, but apart from that he seemed to be just another car Transformer. But while Sunstreaker certainly isn't a revolution in Transformers figures, he's very good, among the best Deluxe figures I've ever seen, and my favourite Classics / Universe figure at this moment in time. Good job. Let's hope the Sideswipe repaint looks just as good. I want to photograph the Lambo twins side by side with their torso twisted around so they match.

Rating: A

10. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

My first encounter with Sunstreaker :
    [​IMG]

This is taken March 2005 from Dubai airport. :) 

Finally I managed to make Sunstreaker's chest to go upright straight. By loosening the rotary inside that helped alot.

11. acollier

acollier Well-Known Member

I guess this has already been noticed, but SS's engine folds so that it can clip over his gun to create an alternate BFG.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Yeah, the BFG is kinda lame when you think about it. It's basically a box with a handle and a tiny barrel. It doesn't make the gun any more imposing or better looking. And it's not too stable.

13. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Just picked this guy up - Very solid alt mode (ie I had trouble getting him transformed), bot mode is very nice and seems to shout out - look at how awesome I am:thumbs2: 

About the only negative points are the piss poor paint on his chest - did they use watercolours or something? - and his moulded robot balls on display - WHY?!?

It would have been nice if they had done the 'transforming weapon missile launcher' that was in the prototype sketches. Also a non-grey gun would have been better.

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    A lot of people have declared Sunstreaker as 'superior to Prowl,' but put me in the opposite camp. The first time I put him in robot mode and then tried to bring him back to alt mode, his back was clipped in so tight that I almost couldn't pull him apart. Then when I tried to put him back in bot mode, it took forever for me to clip it back in (in other words, it wouldnt from "ridiculously tight" to "doesnt even fit")! His chest was fine when I first transformed it, but after hearing people rave about his head reveal, I played with the chest a few times, and now it wont line up properly. People call Prowl's transformation annyoing, but I find Sunstreaker's moreso.

This is not to say that I dislike Sunstreaker. He looks fine in both modes. I just don't see how he's "better" than Prowl (well, other than Prowl's paint problem, which hasnt affected mine that badly)

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I love the bugger. I think he's going to make a great Classics REDLINE as well as parts of him will come in really handy for a Punch/Counter-Punch toy.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Better balance.
    Doesn't have the neck issue.
    Well-thought out second robot mode for Sideswipe.

17. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Better articulation
    less fiddily transformation
    awesome automorph
    better (imo) headsculpt

18. Optimus Sledge

Yeah, Sunny's face does seem a little more... something. Emotive?

19. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Yeah. But Prowl's face does kinda look like he's gonna burst into tears. :lol 

20. Optimus Sledge

He's sick of people calling him a prick because of how he was in one comic.