Universe/Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Red Alert, Apr 17, 2008.

1. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    No no no, No parts forming at all, You just pop off the roof remove the molded tab on the right side under the swivel arm then re-attach the roof to the swivel arm and rotate the roof like normal around again till you get the roof the way I have it.

2. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Dammit, Sunny is so kick ass I can't put him down, better than the Animated stuffs I have. :D 

Grey plastic = FAIL
    Painted silver over grey = WIN
    (Seriously, the pics did not turn out right, looks awesome in person)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting another to paint it over with Alt Deadend color scheme :D 

3. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    well, duh :p :drunk 

4. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Went to Walmart today to pick up a prescription for my girlfriend, so while she was doing that, I wandered, feeling kinda hopeless, over to the toy section to see if they had FINALLY gotten some Animated toys in stock (closest place that's had em has been 30 minutes or more away). Well, considering the thread this is posted in, I'm sure you can imagine what I got very giddy about. :)  (yes, that's copy/pasted from my Prowl post).

Holy crap. I have not been able to put this guy down. He actually tops Mirage as my favorite deluxe. Granted, he doesn't have the balance of Mirage, but he DOES have just about every point of articulation Mirage does (no double jointed legs), and THEN SOME.

Transformation is a little fiddly, like said before, but nothing too difficult. I was ABOUT to be pretty disappointed in him cause his back part/hood of the car wouldn't connect securely in bot mode. If you have this problem, there's an easy fix I found by total accident. Pull the whole assembly all the way up. ;) 

Bot mode looks awesome in pictures, but even better in person. This dude looks like he's ready for anything. Except scratches in his paintjob. ;)  He's buff, he's tall (as tall as Prowl, anyways, just slightly taller than Mirage's shoulder wheels), he looks as badass as he thinks he is. I guess his gun's a little small? :lol 

I LOVE the alt mode. It's simple, but I like that about it. The engine looks a little oddly placed, but it's a pretty cool detail. And if I'm not in the mood for it... I can take it off! I'm not wild about exposed faction symbols, but I think that's just a leftover from Alternators. It's really not that big a deal. My favorite part, though, has to be his liscence plate: "WE R 84". That's just... an awesome throwback.

I can't wait for Sideswipe. This guy is A+, definitely. Bonus points for having two robot modes. Awesome in alt mode, awesome in both bot modes, versatile weapon (though the combined gun is kinda insecure for me) and places to put it... there's just a lot to do with this guy, and it's all awesome. They really hit the nail on the head here, if you ask me.

5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    heh, i totally had that problem too ~ one of my engines was actually popped just slight off the nubbin' it attaches to and wouldn't fold up level or attach to the car tightly, i was gonna be annoyed until i realized i just had to pop it into place :D 

6. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I REALLY dig this figure, I happen to be a fan of the head mold.

*checks my local Wal-Mart*

7. JetStreaker

JetStreaker Average Joe

I think it's easily the best deluxe figure of wave 1 universe so far. Great in both modes and a satisfying transformation.. and all for 10 bucks. Nice
    -Jet

8. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Wow, first post? Let me guess, you're a big Sunstreaker fan? :) 

This figure is awesome, can't wait for the universe Ironhide

Question....Sunstreaker > Bumblebee??? Whose the better yellow autobot?

9. JetStreaker

JetStreaker Average Joe

Since I had 'streaker' in the handle, I figured.. why fight it? :) 

I'll second Universe Ironhide.. generally, and for whatever reason, Deluxe offerings have always appealed to me more.

Hmm.. who's the better bot? From strictly a character POV, my vote is for Bumblebee.. but if we're talking figures, SS takes it (IMHO of course).
    -Jet

10. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I just got this figure today. From the pictures I saw online, I was expecting a really skinny, spindly-limbed figure. Damn, was I wrong. This guy is seriously bulky (in a good way). He looks like the ultimate Autobot warrior he's supposed to be.

11. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

Tcracker your Streaker looks awesome. What kind of paint did you use and brand? Can you discuss the process of how you did it? Does the paint rub off if you touch or transform it too much or did you spray a top coat?

12. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I used Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color Silver. And the best part is I do not have to topcoat if as the paint does not flake off. Just avoid Mr. Metal Color, those damn thing smears all over the place - read: your fingers. :D  :D 

PM Me for details :D 

13. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I struggled with mine to start with but ended pushing the halves of the back together which then let me slipped the gun on.

For a bit more of a difference in Sideswipe mode try flipping the waist round and then turning the legs so the vents down the back of the car are down the front of the lower leg. Will balance fine like that without the extra feet folded down. Plus I believe if they assemble the legs the other way round at the lower knee joint it'll all still TF OK.

14. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Yeah - the gun stays in great in vehicle mode.

I almost lost the engine twice at TFCon. But the gun stayed in.

15. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Right... cause this way, the screws in the back of the crotch area and the thights are facing forward. I like the look, too, but my SS gets REAL back heavy... he only has one loose ankle joint, but that's not the issue... he tips back regardless, even if I put his arms forward in a "hug me!" pose.

16. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The crotch is easily cured - pop the legs off at the hips and swap them over. Doesn't hinder TF. I'd like to be able to swap just the lower legs but that looks like it might be a bit tricky - I Imadinethe yellow plastic goes through the black knee joint. *BUT* it shows it would be possible to put the toy together just slightly diufferently and get it to all fit.

17. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

I wondered how different Sideswipe could look from Sunstreaker with no remolding whatsoever. (And, since I lack painting and pin-removing skills, with no repainting either.)

Here are the changes I made:
    1. Removed the screw from the back of the head so I could take of the ears. (Don't lose the tiny springs!)
    2. Took apart the arm assembly by detaching the shoulder from the body, the upper arm from the shoulder, and the fists from the wrists. Swapped the shoulders and fists, while leaving the the arms (with doors) on the original sides.
    3. Removed the screws from the back of the (gray) thighs, and swapped the lower legs.

Presenting...Custom Sideswipe before his sunburn. (Isn't that how he got so red?)
    [​IMG]
    (Larger pic here. I just signed up for flickr, so hopefully this works okay.)

A few caveats:
    1. Unfortunately, he has a large hole in his head.
    2. It's still hard to get that "missile launcher" attached to his shoulder without it coming apart. It's not as bad as tight a fit as Cyb. Soundwave, but there's still not much space in between.
    3. He can't pose quite as dynamically with his knees bending to the side, but he still balances pretty well. (The black feet can be rotated so that the toes are pointing down and back for an extra point of contact with the ground.
    4. It's a little trickier to attach the tailpipe in alt mode, since those ... um ... pistons ... are facing toward the ground and push against the business end of the gun.

Even with those caveats, it makes for a nice added contrast between the two 'bots.

18. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Getting the engine to fit over the gun must have been quite a challenge.

19. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Well, if it weren't so fiddly to fit together under normal circumstances, it would have been a lot easier. I put the gun on the shoulder, turned the hood sideways so that the head went halfway down, clipped the engine over the gun, then turned the hood back to normal position.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I agree. My preferences also align with the "robots in disguise" motif. I have to say that the Alternators deliberately had their faction symbols hidden for the most part (Side Swipe, Prowl, Ricochet, Mirage, and Rodimus are the only ones with exposed faction symbols in alt mode). Out of 27 Alternators, five (5) is the overwhelming minority, and I can live with that. I'd wished that all 27 of them had them absent in alt mode though.

I really like Sunstreaker, but the quality of the plastic isn't a far cry from a KO it feels like to me. I love the transform and the overall design a LOT. The repaint nature of this piece is really cool too (smart move Hasbro! :wink: ). However, the arms on mine can't make a full rotation without them popping off. I have to say that I feel quite a bit let down with this guy, despite him still being really cool.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008