Heavy/Scratch: Universe Cheetor Arm Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pudglor Shmormuff, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

After recieving universe Cheetor, i decided to take a shot at modding his arms- because i agree with most collectors that they're a tad short and throw off his proportions a little- so here's what i came up with:

What i used:
    1 X universe Cheetor
    1 X Henkei Cheetor

Tools:
    Snippers/clippers/whatever you use to cut plastic with lol
    Screw Driver

The idea here is to borrow parts from either Cheetor to build a 2nd set of custom robot mode arms- with a separate set of cheetah mode arms left over as well- so the resulting Cheetor will require you to swap out arms when transforming (just pop'em off and switch'em out- not too much of a pain imo ^_^).

Depending on which Cheetor you use to get these parts, here are the steps (yes, 1 of the cheetors will essentially have to be destroyed in order for this mod to work- sorry):
    1) Remove and disassemble the thigh units. (The idea is to use the thigh unit as a new shoulder unit)
    2) Pop the arms off and you'll expose the blue shoulder peg- cut it out of the panel that it's pinned into- but make sure to leave some yellow plastic still attached around the base of the peg, because THAT'S what we'll use for friction to plug into the thigh units we just disassembled. (make sure to cut around the peg- don't just snip it off or you'll jeopardize the next step and the mod won't work)
    3) Once the remaining yellow plastic at the base of the blue peg is shaped to fit into the thigh unit, plug it into the thigh unit, screw it back together, and it should hold pretty well- mine aren't loose at all.
    4) With the arms you've chosen to be the new robot arms (make sure to unscrew and remove the cheetah forearm shell armor before doing this), just peg them onto the new shoulder unit, pop the new arms onto the main body, and you're done. ^_^

There should be a spare set of regularly-configured animal mode arms left over, so basically all you have to do is switch out the arm sets when shifting between modes.

it's not perfect, but it's better than what it used to be. ^_^

Enjoy. ^_^

Attached Files:

2. Pudglor Shmormuff

Complete project picture

Here's what the mod pretty much results with- 2 sets of arms.

Attached Files:

3. Pudglor Shmormuff

Articulation Demonstration

The articulation in his new arms is much better than the originals. ^_^

Attached Files:

4. Pudglor Shmormuff

Hangin with the Crew

Having a crew of updated Maximal figures is a dream come true for me- they look fantastic together. ^_^

Attached Files:

5. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    wow, that makes him look alot better, i really want to try this!

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They honestly just need to redo Cheetor. And a new Primal. And Dinobot.. Your modsare awesome, though!!!

7. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Sadly. Your best bet is the original Cheetor.

That said? This looks really nice. I always kinda liked this mold, and your arm mods make him look much better (and now I want to pick up a second Cheetor so I can do this). Love that group shot too.

8. Pudglor Shmormuff

I've got a feet mod in mind too ^_^

Thanks guys! i took a closer look at his feet and i'm thinking i can also modify them too- i could possibly add some blue robot feet that would be detachable like his interchangeable arms. it'll take some digging through my spare parts bin to find the parts i need, but i'm certain i've got them- so give me another day or so- i'll figure it out. ^_^

9. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    what you got going on with op's legs/feet?

10. Pudglor Shmormuff

Update:
    Sorry guys, I tried to mod his feet, but unless you cut them off or drill a hole somewhere or use some super glue to attach new parts- I'd say we're SOL on the feet.

11. Pudglor Shmormuff

Ah, that's my custom United Optimus Primal in the center of the group picture. I felt he was the nicest Primal mold yet, but he was still too small compared to the rest of the group, so I beefed him up a little bit- I extended his arms by adding new hands and I extended his legs by adding new feet.

The parts I used for the hand extensions:
    1) Construct Bot clips/joints- the claw/clip-like parts.
    2) Maketoys Battle Tanker Hands- After I super-glued the construct bot clip into the holes in his hands, I simply clipped the Battle Tanker hands on.

The parts I used for the feet extensions:
    1) Evasion Prime outer knee parts- his knee-side gas tanks- I plugged them into the top of the JBIW parts- just for a little extra robo-bling/flare. lol
    2) Junkion Blacksmith Infinity Warfare parts- I used them to attach the new feet to Primal's original feet- they fit into the Gorilla mode hands quite well.
    3) Construct Bot Balljoints- I cut them off of some construct parts I had laying around, put some super glue on the peg, and shoved them into the bottom of the JBIW parts.
    4) Maketoys Battle Tanker Feet- I simply plugged them onto the Construct Bot balljoints I installed- they fit extremely well- no looseness at all.

He can still transform back to Gorilla mode without any issues at all- I just have to pop off the limb extensions beforehand. ^_^

Attached Files:

12. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    that's snazzy. i LOVE this mold. i have a few customs of them.