Heavy/Scratch: Universe Blaster upgrade WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Venksta, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments. I'm going to have to state. This thread's purpose at the moment is to show the progress of the work on this set. So, for the time being, lets consider it a one off custom. I am working towards doing a run of these, but until I have a batch ready for sale, I will not be accepting payments or putting people on a preorder list. I will make sure there are enough made for board members here, and other TF fans. I know the feeling of seeing something cool, and making sure to have confirmation you can get it. So I will do my part to offer the sets to TFW members first. At this time, I do appreciate it if you guys could just post comments about the designs and prototypes. As the end product is important, so with out the proper feedback, I might end up making something only I like. :) 

Thanks. I use Softimage XSI 4.2 to make these. I'd like to learn Solidworks as well. From some videos I've seen, it would make the work easier.

Ahh, I see why I didn't make it red now. It actually would be 1 less paint app now. As I can cast the face in red, and just paint the eyes and mouth area. Here is a update render.

[​IMG]

The polycount is fine. Having dozens of prototypes made from my models, I pretty much know what things I can get away with, and not, when it comes to printing at small scales like this. The lips on the first prototype were not that visible actually, due to the scale. So because of that, I do need to rework the mouth area. Based on some TFA heads I've made recently, I probably will redo the mouth in that style.

To touch on the polycount concern again. I'm not getting these models made with expensive prototyping services. Which I would be able to make molds out of right away. Basically, the prototype parts I get, are like a rough sculpture. So I have to spend a lot of time sanding and prepping the part, until it looks smooth enough like something you would expect from Hasbro. I know for a fact that increasing the polycount would not smooth out the printing quality. Its just the nature of the printing method that creates the roughness of the part.

No, its ok. And helps to see what the mouth would look like. I think I'll pass on the grin, and give him a neutral mouth. Since there are not many fans who have requested the comic style face, I don't want to make some disappointed by giving him an expression they would not want. If it was an Animated style head, I'd give him the grin, as it would be fitting. But so far, to my knowledge, majority of the Classics figures have neutral facial expressions, so I'll go with that to make him fit.

Attached Files:

2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loooove the latest picture with the red around the eyes. The modern version looks better, especially for the Marvel one with the longer antennae.

Thanks man! I hope to be proud of my Universe Blaster with a comic head and electro-scrambler!

3. TronCity

TronCity TRANSFORMER JUNKIE

Looks Great Bro.

4. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Crap. One more thing... After looking through the comics, Blaster usually has yellow eyes. It'd be one less color for you... Can we see that on the heads?

5. Venksta

News Credits:
    I'd probably paint the face a more goldish yellow, and make the eyes a bright yellow.

For others interested in the comic face, which eye color do you prefer? Blue or yellow?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I know it's not comic accurate, but I liked the grey frame around his eyes. It draws your attention in and frames his eyes as well. I also like he fuller lips, as it tends to give the face a touch of ethnicity, and since G1 Blaster was an urban character I think it fits.

Whatever you do, man, this is dope!

7. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, my favorite is the yellow eyes with the modern helmet. That's the head I want on
    my Classics Blaster. Yessss... The blue eyes aren't a dealbreaker, but the yellow is much more in line with how he was depicted in most of his appearances.

Awesome!

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kinda dig blue eyes more, has more pop overall, but both look nice~

9. Venksta

News Credits:
    So I finally got around to taking proper photos of the prototype parts. These are the same prototype parts I had bad photos of before. I've just done some sanding, and applied primer to the parts. Next step is to paint these up, while I wait for the revised parts to arrive.

Attached Files:

10. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    WoW very nice! I gotta have this!

11. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I definitely like the modernized helmet better. Of course it'll look even better in red and yellow ;) 

12. Venksta

News Credits:
    So I need some opinions. For those that are interested in the Marvel style head. Do you care if the the face is removable, or if the visor is flippable?

For the Marvel head, I was thinking of making low run sub-set. This would include both head stylings, cybertron and the modern G1 style, the marvel face, and the gun. If you guys don't care about the visor flipping down, or the face being removable, it will help me make it a bit easier to make. I do plan to make the main upgrade set, include all the parts, for those that want everything. So this subset is just for those that only want the marvel face. Anyways, let me know your thoughts, as I need to put the order in for the final designs soon.

13. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sick of course!! When are you going to make these for us??

14. Venksta

News Credits:
    Thanks for your opinion. Maybe I'll include two comic faces. One with blue eyes, and one with yellow. I'll just make this subset a smaller run.

The main helmets are based on the G1 toy/cartoon. Not the comic. I just recently decided to do the marvel comic face, based on requests by several people. So the antennaes will not be changed.

The plan is to put this on the fast track once the Skyfall kit is done. So earliest would be the end of July.

15. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i'd go with the marvel but no matter what you it's going to be great. it's kick ass already and it's not even done. oh by the way blaster is one of my favs:thumbs2: 

16. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Damn, these Blaster heads are nice (though i'm not really interested in the comic head). Sign me up. :)  I've got a MISB Universe Blaster waiting for this upgrade.

How about some arms for Energon Shockblast? wink:wink Haha. Keep up the killer work dude.

17. Chap

Chap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gorgeous!

I haven't read through the thread, what are your plans with this set? Are you going to clean up the print and cast it for sale? That's a lot of cleaning up to do! Price?

I don't own the Blaster redeco of the Cybertron Soundwave mold, I'll definitely start looking for one now.

Also, the piece on the figure that is connected to the neck can, if you fidget with it, pivot down into his chest and improve the look of the figure greatly! Can is still do this with your new head? Is there enough clearance to do the pivot and still have good range of movement for the head?

EDIT: Just read that Steel Jaw will not be made...I am sad :( 

18. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could care less about the flipping visor piece. If it's cheaper to mold it all together, go for it..

Like I said before, while I greatly prefer yellow eyes, blue eyes wouldn't be a deal breaker. Also the face doesn't NEED to be removable if I have the comics face.

19. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think there is no need for a flipping visor and I like the comic head/face with blue eyes.

20. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice < wonders if that head would work on an alt and if the Steeljaw would fit into Alt Skids.