Universe 3.0: Modular 3D printed direct to consumer kits?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slochmoeller, Nov 21, 2016.

1. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

A while back it seemed like it was announced that Hasbro was looking into 3D printing technology. We haven't really heard about it in a while, but maybe it could be used to fill some holes in collecting? Like a revival of Universe 1.0 but more self service?

So I envision it looking like this: The bulk of what's offered on the service would be modular designs. Things like cars and jets with a set transformation scheme. They would also have different parts you could swap around to alter the asethetics of the bot and vehicle modes. There would then be a wide array of head and weapon options.

You would go to the website, customize the design and the base colors, order it, and it would be printed and shipped to you. It would come as a sprued up pack that you assemble yourself, snap together and screws. (pins may be too hard in this system.) You could then paint and/or use decals to finish it off.

It might be an interesting way to get a wide variety of characters who may not get toys otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe if they injection-molded the runners in different colors and mailed you the ones you requested. There's no way something like that is viable with 3D printing at this time, since you'd be spending much more money for something comparable to a garage kit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

i agree with an injected molded sprue kit that transforms. That would be amazing!

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hooboy. It's a neat idea, but I don't see it happening. Customizing and model kits are already such a small market it doesn't seem like they'd go after it long term. Other recent customize-able products (designer toys, shoes, bags, etc.) come to mind, they never seem to last very long.

I hope someday Transformers do a bit of what has been done with Marvel Legends. Include an alternate head or two, include some extra parts/weapons, even a Build a Figure, or at the very least have compatible head balljoints across a size class.

5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Technically hastak currently have that last point covered ;) 

6. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ha. Yeah, but I meant an alternate head for the same character. Like a masked/unmasked Sentinel Prime that came WITH the Sentinel Prime figure. Instead of all these random heads that don't really belong on any body.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Agreed, just felt like being a bit of a smart alek haha

8. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

People on a big scale mostly want things that are done for them. There is a market for this, but not a big one

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Printing tech is nowhere near good enough and cost effective enough for this yet.

15-20 years from now, maybe.

10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Maybe Arms Microns kits. Otherwise, no. I really don't want to have to paint my Transformers if I don't have to.

• Like Like x 1