Universe 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime Out in the U.S

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by all are dead, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if it's that price in the UK it won't be bought. It's even more expensive than the encore version.

pass unless when it comes out here it's half the US price

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Wow. So much for me buying a xbox 360 this month.

I'll save $7 with my store discount and $5 with the july hasbro coupon.
    I really really want to put this figure with my g1 shelf because I've only owned powermaster prime and pepsi prime before but this one is the big hitter, the kahuna, the Chief.

I can justify it because the takara reissue costs $50+ anyway without the extras.
    At least everywhere I've looked.

3. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

everybody has a g1 optimus prime these days, how many issues are out there? I can think of:

.This one
    .G1 Original (and about 10 box variations)
    .G1 Hasbro Reissue
    .G1 Takara Reissue
    .Pepsi Prime
    .KO Prime
    .Encore Prime

Yeah it's cool but definitely not refreshing. It's like those dam masterpieces "ANOUNCED NEW MASTERPIECE!!!! ... yet another seeker repaint :| cool, i guess .... "

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Cool, dont think I can afford it at that price though.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not holding my breath for an even semi-decent price when it comes out over here. if it IS at a good price I'll buy it; I'm a sucker for G1 primes. But if it's over £40 it won't be worth it as far as I'm concerned.

6. "SR"

"SR" The Ginyu Man

News Credits:
    Is he metal or plastic?

7. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I am sure Hasbro said this would retail for $50 at Botcon, I can't remember for sure but the box in the display might have even denoted this. Seventy? WTF! Those fools are tripping. Maybe it comes w/ shrooms so we can be as well lolz.

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'm gonna pass.

I already have the Commemorative Toys R Us exclusive re-issue. Not only that, but I already have all of G1 on DVD... and I'm not interested in comics. And the sound box probably isn't Peter Cullen's voice. (someone correct me if I'm wong).

I might have considered buying it if it had correct-sized smoke stacks and if Roller launched out of the trailer >_>

Although this is cool for people who don't have original Prime or the DVDs.

9. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'll probably go for about £60 in the UK initially, we just get ripped off left right and centre (just look at the price of the damn Universe figures - $7.99 in Walmart, £13 over here - how did they work THAT out?)

Besides, I have my original G1 Prime in decent condition, so I don't need this. It is a nice Anniversary piece, and I like the extras (especially since most kids who only saw the Bay movie will recognise the voice of Prime in the cartoon) so I like the thinking behind it. Just not for me.

10. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

give me the upc thanks

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    To my knowledge the only EVER all-plastic version of the G1 Optimus Prime mold was released in Italy, 20 years ago.

12. jeff0514

jeff0514 Well-Known Member

I pre-ordered one through HTS with the fall20 discount. I just started collecting transformers again after the movie last summer, so needless to say, I don't have a G1 Optimus. If someone knows a cheaper way (than $58 after the fall20 discount) to get a G1 optimus prime, I would like to know, as I really don't care about the DVD or comic book.

13. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Although it would probably look good on display, I'm not going to buy this. I have Prime. I'm going to be spending my money on the KO Cyclonus and maybe Metroplex (encore). I'm also pre-ordering Sunstorm from BBTS or TFsource depending on price. I'm really only spending cash on guys I dont have. I wonder if Hasbro is going to start re-issuing other g1 figures after this one. Still on the hunt for animated Magnus.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must disagree. I'd say, at today's prices, the comic reprint is worth $3. A 66 minute DVD- maybe $10. The voice box? $5 at most. Which adds up to about $18 in additional materials, making the box $12- not that the TRU reissue box was bad, either. I'm with the 'wait for the clearance price' crowd- though I wouldn't take it back if I got it for a gift.

15. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    does anybody know if this release uses the retooled Pepsi Prime head or the classic Diaclone head? That will make or break this deal for me.

16. Teletran

Teletran Witty title not included

if THAT much. reprints rarely fecth more than cover price in my experiance

17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

And for more perspective look at Hasbro's use of dvd and voice boxes in G.I. Joe.

This Prime is absolutely price-gouging. He shouldn't cost anymore than $50 at the most even with these extra. Plus, given that this is a general release you'd think it'd cheaper.

18. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

Encore Prime

All I'm saying is I'm loving the sub 40.00 USD Encore Prime that came in last week from Automaton Toys!

Would love to pick this guy up at half price for my son though.... He would have Prime, two fists, a gun, roller and the voice box and I would have a comic, DVD and reissue pump/hose/nozzle for my G1 loose Prime!

19. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    If this comes out in the UK, sadly I can see it being in the £60-70 price region. I've got a bad feeling that if it does, it'll be sans DVD as per the Canadian release too. :(  I'll pass for now.

20. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

i personally dislike this prime. But aside from this everyone keeps mentioning the plummeting economy, I would liketo remind thosethat hasbro madeits money back on this particular prime mold probably twenty years ago, selling him at a 70 dollarp ricepoint just to plummet may be exactly what they plan. Now 40 dollars? I would buy this guy, just notat 70, he is kind of an eye sore with that funky red they seem to like so much for him.