Universe 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime Out in the U.S

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by all are dead, Oct 18, 2008.

1. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Wow.

I complained about the price of the Seacons, but that price was considered okay due to it being extremely exclusive.

This, on the other hand, is not exclusive, and waaaay overpriced. Not worth it.
    Damn. $70.00?

FAIL.

2. TFmarvel

TFmarvel Active Member

I found him in Vegas. There was 12 of him

3. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

ill pay 50 on clearance for it but yeah yikes........

70 bucks for that is a bit much.... especially considering the saturation of the exact same mold on the internet readily available.

4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Sweet. I wonder if HTS will be shipping him out any sooner?

As for the cost, I'm happy with the $58 I spent on him from HTS. (One of my many preorders with the fall20 promo.) It seems pretty fair to me, considering all the goodies he comes with.

5. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The stacks don't bother me, and I've never had this mold and the extras are nice, but at that price... what would end up being nearly $80 with tax I just can't justify it for myself. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.

6. alien

alien Command

buy!

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    If they're charging $70 for this in the States - which is already a pretty insane price - god knows how much it'll be jacked up to for Canada.

Easy pass.

8. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    damn no matrix:( 

9. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    My Encore Prime is good enough for me. The packaging looks real nice though. However, $70 may be tough to swallow during this economy.

10. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Hopefully the stores overorder and these go on clearance. Bought the Encore at about that price so I won't pick up one at full retail.

11. topnotch97

topnotch97 Lexi Belle fan

you know. those BMF Falcons and even the Rep Gunship just warm the shelves over here.

why do i get the feeling it will be the same thing.

12. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    How many versions of Gen 1 prime are they gonna make in 5 years? We had the Pepsi Prime, the 20th anniv. Toys R Us release, the billions of "special editions" released in Japan and sold in all the local Comic shops... This is beyond insane. There is NOTHING in the box set worth $70, especially concerning today's economic stress.

Poor timing, Hasbro.

13. Blackout

Blackout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well for some who don't have a G1 Prime yet like myself it might be worth it. But I can see how it's not for those who already have one or few.

14. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I could see this being 89.99$ here, or maybe even 99.99$ if they dare a bit. And probably with no comic or DVD, so yeah :thumbdown  For once, I nearly hope it's something that won't be available in Quebec :eek: 

15. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

First a question. Does the soundbox attach to the trailer like G2 Prime's?

Now, as for comment. Very cool. Always good to see THE Prime re-released for people who may not have had one, or don't have one now.

I'm sitting on an original MIB G1 Prime, a G2 Prime, Takara New Years Prime, Takara Book Prime, and the TRU Reissue Prime from 5 or so years ago. I'm hesitant to pick this one up, even with the extra's. With the way the economy is right now, and the fact that G.I. Joe takes 99% of my toy budget now, I probably won't get it.

16. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    saw it out tonight here in Texas at walmart, we had 2 cases so i guess 4 of them, didnt realise he was $70 but i passed on him anyway

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Folks mentioned the economy being a negative factor, and I have to agree. He might sell well during the Christmas season, and some folks might pick him up now to avoid the rush later, but I doubt he'll sell enough to be profitable.

This is without a doubt one of their worst illtimed release dates. I'm a big fan of Hasbro, and Takara, and I'm grateful to them for their work, but with everything in the crapper, why would they release it now, and at that price?

It boggles the mind.

Before anyone says that Hasbro didn't know the economy was going to crash, this is true, I'll be fair to them in that, but there were signs it was bound to happen when they working on this, they had to know he'd be risky. Beyond that, they should know that the $70.00 pricetag is going to help kill sales as well.

...I just don't get it. Who on Earth planned this?

Ultimate Bumblebee: Sold out, after a lot of clearances and mark downs.

20th. Anniversary/DVD Edition Optimus Prime (either color scheme): $69.00+ depending on the retailer, and once the initial oohs and ahhs wore off, the sales plummeted like an asteroid to the bottom of the ocean. (I had never seen that many clearance marked TFs...ever. At one point, one Wal-Mart had over 50...)

I fear this will happen to this guy as well. The price tag is just too much to ask. Especially right now.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    already? wow......

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this was good timing on Hasbro's part. You've got to stop thinking like the rabid fans we are for a second.

Sandwiched betwen two BIG movie releases (which reignited the nostalgia bug in lots of people) this will be many's first chance to re-own a G1 Prime. And most of those who get this - including many as a Christmas pressie - won't care or even notice about the smokestacks. They'll just be delighted to get the iconic Prime toy they remember, as well as the opening eps of the series and the first comic.

I think this will sell great. Maybe not to all those folks who have been following TF for 25 years non-stop and knows the difference between a Maximal and an Autobot, but to many, many others...yep, it'll sell.

I love the presentation and the extras are nice. I already have G1 Prime, so probably won't get it (not even sure it'll be coming to the UK?) - but if I ever got an opportunity to get it cheap, I'd really consider it.

And it would be a cool gift for my older brother! :) 

20. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

I personally don't have a G1 Prime so this might be worth getting...but then again price of it sure is a factor. If I see it in my hands maybe I'll change my mind. We'll see when that time rolls around.