Universe 2.0 Warriors From Three Worlds (Scattorshot, Repugnus, Ransack GTS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by rikkomba, Dec 10, 2021.

1. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

"Warriors From Three Worlds" is a three-pack released in 2009 as part of the Universe 2.0 toyline.
    It was released in the UK as a Sainsbury exclusive.

This three-pack includes three re-releases of scout class toys from the 2005/2006 Cybertron toyline:

- Cybertron Scattorshot
    - Cybertron Repugnus, repaint of Cybertron Undermine
    - Cybertron Ransack GTS, repaint of Cybertron Ransack

Cybertron is the third and final chapter of the Unicron Trilogy. Its scout class toys are closer in concept to Energon's scout class Omnicons and Terrorcons, but with greater variety and a new gimmick: Cyber Keys.
    All Cybertron toys have a gimmick based on inserting a Cyber Key into a slot. Sometimes this flips out a gun's primary barrels (Ransack GTS), sometimes it adds something to an existing weapon (Scattorshot), sometimes it reveals a new, hidden weapon (Repugnus).

Packaging
    This packaging looks faithful to the Universe 2.0 styling, nothing to report except... the twist-ties. As annoying as ever, and even more intrusive than ever, effectively practicing open sky surgery on poor Scattorshot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alt mode
    In alt mode, all three toys look pretty nice, especially thanks to the color schemes and their juxtaposition. The Cyber Keys' vibrant colors add to the whole.

[​IMG]

Repugnus is my personal favourite, with an excellent and uncommon color scheme which make it a pleasure to admire on a shelf. The Cyber Key gimmick activates a dorsal fin / blade weapon, which can be safely ignored.

[​IMG]

Scattorshot is the toy-est of the three, and looks armed to the teeth, despite being kawaii to the bone. The Cyber Key gimmick activates a hidden missile launcher. Even ignoring that, Scattorshot looks like great fun.
    As a nice bonus, Scattorshot comes with a handheld weapon, with the option to leave it aside - leaving it in place in alt mode will prevent the turret's rotation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ransack GTS' first version, in red, was meant to homage Kaneda's bike from Akira. This color scheme looks nice and elegant, but only stresses the notorious assembly error of the rear wheels - a systematic error. I used to think that this "arched" buke was remarkable, but I can now see that it's not Kaneda's bike, it's nobody's bike, it's just an excessively elongated chuck of plastic with some fancy colored wheels. The Cyber Key gimmick activates flip-out gun barrels... or exhaust pipes? Well, they make the bike even longer, so...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robot mode
    In robot mode, all three toys show great personality, and look quite good together.
    [​IMG]

Ransack GTS by itself has a well proportioned and decently articulated robot mode. However, its massive, massive gun plus the Cyber Key make the figure really stupid to deal with. I recommend just throwing everything away. This design can't be rescued.

[​IMG]

Repugnus looks as funny as expected, if you are familiar with Undermine. The robot mode turns the dino head into two arms, and reveals a deformed face... well, who cares, Repugnus' alt mode is so great I don't thing many would display it in robot mode, at all.
    There is a small problem, though - Repugnus' beast mode jaw can be quite fragile, and it's tricky to transform it. My first copy broke on the first transformation attempt. I don't know if it's GPS, but be careful when transforming Repugnus. My copy probably won't see robot mode ever again.

[​IMG]

Scattorshot looks great, ready for action... as long as the action requires standing with a somber look downward. Scattorshot has molded heels to make the figure lean forward. This is a must, as lifting the backpack would otherwise bring everything crushin down. The poseable shoulder miniguns are a nice touch. Scattorshot is fun, but very static.

[​IMG]

Overall
    These three toys aged quite a bit. Ransack is probably the worst toy overall, with a terrible implementation of the Cyber Key gimmick which compromises the alt mode without adding much to the robot mode. Scattorshot and Repugnus are fun toys, but both severely limited in different ways. The color schemes look nice, and if you are looking for some variety, or even UT nostalgia, these toys cover 3/4 planets, leaving only Giant Planet out. The set can be found for little money, but I can't really recommend bothering with it. All things considered, I give the Universe 2.0 Warriors from Three Worlds set a 4.5/10.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This set always felt like an oddity to me. I imagine it was to just get general mileage out of the molds, since these three felt like the least used outside of the really unwieldy ones (Leader class and up), but even when it released I found it odd they released a toy from wave 1 and 2 late-line repaints of existing figures. Heck, the original Ransack and Undermine decos would have arguably worked better, since they're all color-coordinated to their respective planets.

The toys themselves, they're all flawed but I love them simply because they (well, the original decos) were some of my first. I do think the Repugnus/Undermine mold is by far the best of them, though, simply because it's a neat little Transformation. Ransack is the weakest, but I've always enjoyed putting him side-by-side with Crumplezone for the classic duo. And Scattorshot...honestly, I vastly prefer the Cybertron Defense figure, since there I can properly see the lamps on his forehead as lamps and not as giant bug eyes, which I've never been able to manage with this toy. Scout Scattorshot isn't bad, but I think CDF Scattorshot is much, much better.

3. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    Doesn't Repugnus also suffer from GPS?

4. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

Thanks, I don't know if it's GPS, but you reminded me to add this:

"
    There is a small problem, though - Repugnus' beast mode jaw can be quite fragile, and it's tricky to transform it. My first copy broke on the first transformation attempt. I don't know if it's GPS, but be careful when transforming Repugnus. My copy probably won't see robot mode ever again.
    "

5. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    Yup, GPS. The figure’s beast mode jaw/robot mode hands are gold plastic that’s painted black.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Ransack GTS figure is officially repurposed as Shattered Glass Groove, so gives the figure more purpose than some random green version of Ransack.

If you want to get crazy, you could use Repugnus as Shattered Glass Undermine in a Shattered Glass Unicron Trilogy setting, but that's not official.

• Like Like x 1