Universal Angers All the Movie Chains! "We will Not Forgot this!"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They mean it. They don't take someone breaking the rules lightly. Plus both of the two big chains have gave them the warning as well. They would ban them hands down if they try that stunt again.

Universal backed off so as long as they behave they should be ok. Funny thing is this would have all been avoided if they had just talked to them like every other studio did.

Universal did all this to themselves and didn't have to!

With that said they really do not need to fight right now. They both need each other in this hard times and really don't need to fight with each other.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Let em all burn, the whole thing is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I prefer to get food at the theater since I like my food hot and fresh. However, most of my movie viewing is at the Alamo Drafthouse, which has full on service at your table, so sometimes we also go at either dinner or lunch time and get a meal.

I had no idea movie studios had to bow down to the theater chains.

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    You know it'd be interesting to see what these theaters do if say... all the production companies like WB, Universal, Disney, etc. were to basically all together agree to tell them to fuck off and just release their films direct to streaming without asking. Their threats would pretty much amount to nothing in that case.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Amc and Regal said “bitch you’re going to spend $82.54 for a small popcorn and you’re gonna like it”. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Drive ins are reopening and one of the movies they are showings is trolls world tour! It made it to the big screen after all!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

So... Universal are literally trolling the cinemas, now...?

• Like Like x 2
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The studios need the theater chains a lot less than the theater chains need the movie studios. Theaters are the ones dying out, not movies.

• Like Like x 4
  9. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Just read that Trolls 2 made 100 million dollars in VOD rentals at $19.99 a pop. Wow.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I doubt it would have made that much in theaters considering it did well at home because people were stuck at home and needed something for their kids to watch after they got tired of teaching them the day's lessons.

11. Galvatross

Galvatross Shrek yourself before you check yourself! Veteran

Now I'd admittedly be kind of curious to see an alternate reality where Covid-19 didn't hit, and Trolls 2 instead went the normal movie theater route, and you didn't have so many millions of kids and their families stuck at home. Alas, we'll never know.

12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I don't doubt that AMC means it, I'm sure they're trying to make a point. I just don't think they'll follow through with banning Universal movies. I'm sure they want to, but they're not in a position to make that sort of bargain, since AMC will be hurt by the virus, and could potentially even die off. Pretending like they're going to pass up the next Jurassic World or the next Fast and the Furious is comical. It would be a terrible business decision, among the worst I've ever seen.

I understand AMC's frustration (from what I understand, they have good reason to be mad at Universal). I just think they should have approached this situation differently, without making hollow threats that they can't and won't follow through with. I don't believe for a second that the people at AMC are going to go down with this ship. It doesn't really matter how noble their cause is, because eventually they'll be forced to come back with their tails between their legs and ask for Universal movies again. Like a puppy dog trying and failing to make demands of its owner. The dog might very well be in the right, but only one is in a position to bargain. I feel like putting themselves in that inevitable situation just makes them look weak, which doesn't need to be the case.

SouthtownKid put it perfectly.

• Like Like x 1