Unique Toys UT-R03 Dragoon - The Last Knight Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Leopard5, Sep 10, 2018.

1. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not an excuse given it has nothing to do with the transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OmegaPrime Shay

OmegaPrime Shay I am Jetfire Prime

Yeah, Base or Stand
    That spikey thing that looks like the robotic worm mouth from DOTM.

I never expected him to be uber detailed like a prime studio statue or a 3a figure. That’s not what UT is known for.
    I do have to say that on close examination the eyes look pretty decent.
    Visible pupils for a change.

I watched the review again. Still amazed by the transformation. I think I memorized it by now.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want this for XMas. Can someone please send an invoice already?

4. Nuclearcrunch

Nuclearcrunch Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, I don’t feel like combing the past pages to find out, but is it estimated for Christmas? Or 2020?

5. piman

piman Well-Known Member

certainly not. you compare it to a figure that can't transform so that the designers focus on the details to justify the sell. that's not a fair compare.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    The face details are very shallow so they look like they're only on the surface rather than being a structure made up of the parts.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually don't have a problem with the proportions - it's refreshing to see a Movie figure that isn't bulked out with disproportionate vehicle parts (since those parts change size for aesthetic value in the movies). People are probably also very used to the proportions of the TLK Voyager/Rendsora by now, which has much broader shoulders than the movie model.

I think this figure is simply one where the armour plating needs to be laid closely against the figure for full effect, which the reviewer doesn't do/has trouble doing for much of the review.

• Like Like x 4
  8. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    Actually the estimate was for May 2019 :) 

But this looks ready to go, and we are close to XMas, so ......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sayan Rahman

Sayan Rahman Well-Known Member

From @capcomkai Instagram, first picture is unique toys, second picture is the voyager tlk figure. From the picture it is clear to see that Unique Toys has a lot more soft details than even the voyager. This is expected given Unique Toy’s history, but still disappointing at the same time. I’m sure the figure will look better in hand since the below video quality makes him look a bit more blurry but the lack of detail is still probably expected.
    Unique toys has a lot of devoted fans, which can be a good thing and bad thing. I want those fans to look at these comments, not as a way to say that the figure is bad (because it’s pretty terrific looking in most aspects), but that it has faults that Unique Toys can rectify on their next figure.

C249C8F1-3391-434D-8600-4B17AA702518.jpeg 71AC18BD-864A-4C9B-814F-24C4BBD3A739.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  10. Nuclearcrunch

Well, if you wanna use Murphy’s law, I just added it to my stack thinking I had a lot more time. So it would be just my luck it comes out like next week when I have barely enough money aside for it

• Like Like x 1
  11. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    Don't force it. This thing will not sell out. Or rather the first batch will sell out, but the second one will take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nuclearcrunch

Oh no I’ll be okay. It’s one of those things where I can pay for it but not afford it. Worse comes to worse I have means of paying for it without hurting my bank account or going into debt.

13. Nuclearcrunch

There is a very high chance I will be displaying him holding the spare nemesis prime head challenger came with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I like the transforming head gimmick. I'm bummed that they still can't figure out how to put forward and back ankle tilt on their figures. Like with Challenger, you can bet a better headsculpt will be included with a later release. The lean proportions and soft sculpt are also disappointing.

I'll be passing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

Well said. He’s oddly displayed in the video, I think it’s wise to wait for other reviews where he doesn’t look somewhat like a wet chicken.

As for Rendsora, huh you’re probably right. I’ve not seen the movie in years but I see him every day.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm a huge fan of what UT has been doing, but I fully accept the criticisms against them when it comes to molded detail. Hasbro actually stepped up the whole game starting with TLK where they actually had the ILM files, and now we all sort of expect super accurate and detailed....details. If Dragoon or Challenger had come out in 2014 or something they would have blown even more minds, since they're more on par with older movie figures (where the toy designers only had concept art and movie screenshots to work off of) in terms of detail. I think the move for UT with this figure should have been to up the paint. TLK Megatron really isn't that detailed on a scale of movieverse designs. He has a lot of curves and ridges but not a ton of mechanical stuff and some spikes, but it's nothing compared to other movie megatron designs. TLK Megs is all texture and rust and dents.
    I'm not here to judge your life but I'd advise against even coming close to being in debt for this hobby dude.
    Weird to pass just based on that but I do respect your frustration that they don't seem to have discovered the double ankle hinge. One of my only complaints with LA Hire, and definitely a minus for Challenger, who I love.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Chris C137

Chris C137 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, there were hardly any complaints about his height and proportions with any of the previous images we've seen, so I'm fairly confident these issues people are seeing now are down to the way the reviewer has the figure transformed and posed. I'd wait for more reviews and in-hand images, but I think he looks fine from the promo pictures in terms of proportions.

The lack of sculpted detail and paint apps is becoming a major drawback to UT's releases. The figures themselves are fantastic, the transformations and playability are great, but for sculpt details and paint UT are being left behind by a lot of other competitors which is a shame. Having only a couple of colours isn't necessarily a problem, but the lack of sculpted detail makes the need for more paint detail greater. For example the Honey Badger Megatron KO gets away with only being two colours in my opinion because the sculpt has so much detail, so it still appears more 'premium'. On the one hand it matches the aesthetics of Challenger, but on the other hand I feel given the length of time this has been in the pipeline they could've added more sculpted detail to all those smooth surfaces. Nonetheless I'll still be getting this, and maybe if I'm feeling creative I'll consider adding some painted detail.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Nuclearcrunch

Yeah nah as I mentioned I have means to pay for it without debt or bank account strain if I need to. After 17 years of collecting I basically have to down to a science.
    100% why I won’t even touch mp44 or unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Cool man just making sure you're OK :) 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nuclearcrunch

Definitely appreciate it!!

• Like Like x 1