Unique Toys R05 Desperado (MP DotM Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by xueyue2, Sep 26, 2021.

1. LSSJPrime

LSSJPrime Well-Known Member

We have two ROTF MPM Megatron's though? Both the BMB and DF Megatrons work for either an OS or MP-scale collection.

2. williammmw

williammmw MuderPrimus

News Credits:
    Having something in MPM scaled and somwthing with MPM level are 2 different things

• Like Like x 3
  3. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

That we do, but I'm holding out for a MPM ROTF Megatron a isn't a oversized ko what the SS voyager.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LSSJPrime

I disagree. ROTF Megatron isn't a particularly complex design that warrants a full-blown MPM-level figure. In fact the DF version was supposed to be the ROTF MPM Megs. Both the BMB and DF versions are perfectly good enough for the vast majority of collections, and there's really not much more you can do to make it any more screen accurate than it already is, besides maybe improving proportions or adding more molded detail. The overall silhouette of ROTF Megs is also quite abstract so it's more "forgiving" in a way that you don't have to exactly nail the look of the character in order for it to look movie-accurate, since an approximation will look just as good as something more precise. It's not like a more humanoid design such as Knight Optimus or Bumblebee, where improvements can always be made to make it closer and closer to the CGI model.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    The oversized versions, particularly the BMB one, are good but an oversized version of a mainline figure is more of a stand-in than anything. I say that as someone who either has or has had both the BMB and DF KO as well as oversized versions of other characters and figures. Talking about the Studio Series figure, I think they could improve on a few things like the hollow chest, the tank lacking the big turbines on the back and preferably those transforming to his back, having the accurate wings, etc. Both of the KO's do have those improvements but they also have things that drag them down. The BMB has a messy tank mode thanks to them not doing basically anything to legitimately incorporate the tank turbines so it kinda screws up the look, although then you have said turbines that transform to fill out the chest and you also have the wings. But the robot mode, while great and pretty dang close to being perfect, needs more detail as it does kinda have that "blown up" look that some OS KOs tend to have. The DreamFactory one is too small in robot mode, and has a wildly inaccurate and, in my opinion, ugly head sculpt, although the paintwork is quite good. The tank mode is where its at on that one, it looked really good and I really can't complain about it. I kinda wish that I would have kept it just for that tank mode.

But yeah while the SS Megatron, and its KOs, are very good I think they're a great base to work with to make an even better MPM version. A lot of people said that Blackout was just the SS version upscaled and, even though I didn't agree with that opinion when it was revealed, after having it in hand it really so much more than that. So many little things, details, and small bits of engineering that really make it. I'd love that for that to be done to my all-time favorite Megatron design, whether it's official or third paty.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. LSSJPrime

I sorta get what you're getting at, especially your points about the better robot mode of the BMB and the better alt mode of the DF. If there existed a figure that could combine those two into one figure, it would be borderline perfect. The thing is though, I have the opposite opinion of you in that ROTF Megs is actually my least favorite live-action Megatron design, so I'd really rather the engineering effort go into a character that actually needs the proper MPM treatment like Sentinel Prime or Ironhide. I just don't see a need for an MPM ROTF Megatron when two perfectly good (enough) ones are right there yet Sentinel and Ironhide have been desperately needing one for years. Hell, even Devastator has a complete MPM version now!

About Blackout though, I don't share the popular consensus that it's the second coming of robot Jesus. When it was first revealed I thought it looked atrocious, and now my opinion of it has been mildly upgraded to "it's mediocre at best". The robot mode, especially the limbs, is still far too blatantly disproportionate for me to look past. I think the torso and everything above the shoulders look pretty good, and even the back looks decent. But those limbs drag it down too much for me. Helicopter mode looks fantastic though, and I thought that since day one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah tbh having the oversized SS blackout made me realize there’s very little left for the MPM to improve upon, and when I saw the actual MPM I realized it wasn’t as drastic an upgrade as I hoped. It was more so a side grade with some added details here and there with most of the improvements being for the vehicle mode and not bot mode.

Rotf Megs to me feels like a similar situation. Like with the things they could improve it’s pretty much just detailing, new hands, and a better head. I don’t see as much room for improvement that wouldn’t be just a new figure for the sake of it being new. Like the only real improvement I’ve heard asked for is working treads which I legitimately can’t fathom being possible in any way.

• Like Like x 2
  8. silverej

silverej Well-Known Member

If working treads is possible with the level of engineering required I would assume it's going to result in another $200+ figure. I personally would prefer something cheaper like an mpm carbot (mpm tlk barricade please).

9. eVac Z

eVac Z Cybertron and all of its figures belong to ME!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Shotgun done. I need to wait a few more days for extra supplies before I can begin working on the figure.

Shotgun1.jpg
    Shotgun2.jpg
    Shotgun3.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  10. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Funny rotf is the only one I don't have too! I also don't have monocrat but I'm not really into that design. UT really is on a MegaKick.
    Damn right!
    Oh gotcha, yeah that setup looks great! I am so dumb for connecting mine to the holster with the rings instead of the clips. I'm gonna do my best to mimic your setup. Thanks a lot for elaborating. And wow you got your head scratch to look so good!
    Damn I kinda agree with both of you. Sometimes I think "OSKO is fine for that design" and sometimes I just hate all OSKOs of SS figures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

You gave me an idea to do this . I didn't put Monocrat in here because these are my Bayverse Megs....and Galvatron lol. 20220827_193603.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

“Your human collaborators have served their purpose Soundwave its time to eliminate loose ends”
    E68FDDA7-6317-46D1-9CD7-72BE4ED7D65C.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 20
  13. Daquavious Bingleton

Daquavious Bingleton Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    What paints/supplies are you using? Still haven't decided whether to get the "battle damaged" one or just buy the unpainted one and do it myself

14. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Random photo of Optimus striking Megatron with the axe.
    [​IMG]

This one was a poor attempt at setting up the bridge scene from DOTM.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  15. williammmw

williammmw MuderPrimus

News Credits:
    I have all 3, SS, LS06 and DF version. While SS provided a good base with goof amount of detailing for both LS06 and DF, and I admit both version does looks good in their OSKO size, but having said that, the level of detailing and transformation doesn't fit as a MPM level

A good example is Weijiang Hideshadow vs MPM13. While one doesn't deny that Weijiang version looks good especially on the toe, but the whole engineering won't give you an MPM feel. Another example is Open & Play MP sized Galvatron. It is a good looking MP-ish Galvy on the shelves but you wont get the MP feel of it.

While I'm not in rush for a MPM ROTF Meg, I do understand the notion for a MPM ROTF Meg
    IMG_20200809_011731.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. LSSJPrime

Exactly. You've perfectly summed up how I feel about both MPM Blackout and a potential MPM ROTF Megs. I think we're at a point now of diminishing returns (at least in terms of HasTak standards) before we venture into 3P/custom territory which is obviously not gonna happen on an official MPM figure lol.
    Yeah but that's the thing. What else is there really to improve upon from the existing mold? I like complex and involved figures, but certainly not just for the sake of making them more complicated. There's absolutely no reason or point to make the transformation for ROTF Megs any more complex than it already is if the end result is going to be similar to what we already have. Again, ROTF Megatron is a fairly simple design that doesn't really call for an incredibly involved transformation like AOE Galvatron or DOTM Megatron would. The tank mode is literally just Megatron lying face-down with his legs pegged into his sides and arms folded up top, and every single transformable ROTF Megatron toy has had this exact same transformation scheme, because really, it is just that simple. There's nothing more involved that could possibly be introduced.

Even in your picture, the BMB Megs looks by far and away the most "MPM" of all the Megatrons and has that certain "MPM gravitas" despite being an OSKO. The sheer size, immacualte paint, LED's, sharper molding, and better head sculpt already makes it venture well into MPM territory.
    lol unfortunately MPM Blackout this isn't a good argument to use against me, because I'm one of the few people on this site who doesn't think MPM Blackout is a drastic upgrade.

Hell, I could even throw that argument back at you and claim that MPM Blackout's engineering doesn't give me an "MPM feel" either compared to say, many of Unique Toys' or Wei Jiang's offerings (who are some of the true makers of Bayverse MPM's imo). Everything is relative, and I think that ROTF Megs is already good enough where nobody has to waste time making an MPM ROTF Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  17. krad23

krad23 Active Member

Now that I have the Desperado, I need to upgrade my Megs collection.
    Which Transformers 1 Meg is sized best to the Desperado and the Black Mamba LS-06 (which I don't have yet)? Is it the Wei Jiang/Model Wizard T-08 or the Aoyi Mech/Black Mamba LS-12? Can anyone post a size comparison?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Only megs I have is the wei Jiang doesn’t scale too bad imo
    65726214-12E5-4287-94C4-B76804AFA1AA.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  19. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Considering he (I think) shrunk since the first film, that scale looks spot on.

• Like Like x 7
  20. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I don't know, sure Sentinel should get a great MPM but ROTF Megatron should too. The BMB version is fine, but its really just a stand-in. It might be good enough, but it still needs that extra polish to truly be an MP level figure. I think it just comes down to our opposite views on ROTF Megatron as well, that design is so freaking cool and I want to see it done as best as it can be. The SS is fantastic for a mainline figure, and the KOs are good, but they still have that oversized look that makes them look and feel like a stand-in at the end of the day.

I honestly find this to be the best proportioned Blackout we've gotten, with the one notable flaw in that being the upper arms and even then they're totally fine in person. I think i saw where you said that the engineering wasn't up to MP standards and thats absolutely insane to me. MPM Blackout isn't super complex but damn is he efficient and pulls off some pretty cool stuff. Even the great Hide Shadow had to partsform the underside whereas the MPM hides it all away in the robot mode and doesn't look any worse off for it. Its the best Blackout out there and one of the best MPMs we've had.

But this is probably getting a bit too off topic for a thread about this DOTM Megatron lmao

Megatron should still be his height of 35 feet by DOTM, so it's slightly off but I don't think its so off as to throw off the scaling or look wrong side by side.

• Like Like x 3