Unicron #6 preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Fark Gnarkl

Fark Gnarkl Unwisely still awake.

Dove into Dead Universe, but belly-flopped.
    But hey, maybe in a moment of tearful reprieve she’ll realize she could transform all along— into a slippery slope long enough to fatally push Unicron down.

Optimus, slowly winking out of existence: “So at the end, Slide, I hope you realize... the power to make a change for good was yours all along...”

*Takes off faceplate, grins*

“Asshat.”

Even she can’t distract from how Optimus and Arcee as jet kibble gives me life and sustains me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Count me in as a part of the "next page shows Slide getting vaporized by Unicron" camp.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    Dammit, Slide, WHY DOES THE POSSIBLE FUTURE MATTER?! Right now, you\'re fighting for the chance to live! So your gods aren\'t real? Shut up about it!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fallout

Fallout call me alabama i'm a seminole prize

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    wait, since when is trypticon officially a decepticon titan? hasn't he been pretty much non-aligned through all of idw?

5. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    After what happened to Cosmos (RIP), I hope that Soundwave and Sky Lynx manage to make it to the end. Soundwave in particular needs his happy ending!

Also doesn't look good for Trypticon on that last page. Him leaving all of the sparks on Earth to be taken care of feels like a death flag as well...

He was a Decepticon in Primacy, and there have been other flashbacks that have shown him as one.

6. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah; after Pentius' essence got purged he remained a Decepticon.

7. Fallout

Fallout call me alabama i'm a seminole prize

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    oh, right, primacy. i think my mind just blocked that out for protection.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Everything about this preview is cancer.

Devoting panel time to Thundercracker\'s dog again.

\"Yeah, faith. The last refuge of those left behind.\" Lmao, shut up this is so faux-deep it hurts.

Metroplex giving sass. Yo, so he\'s just the same as every other character here.

\"It\'s soooooo great flying with you guys again.\" I can\'t believe Barber decided to keep this line. Also Thundercracker doesn\'t know that sonic booms don\'t work in space? Why was he chosen for this mission and not one of the Aerialbots then. In fact, how is Thundercracker still alive if he\'s genuinely this stupid. Obviously I know the answer is because Barber thought it would be fun to reunite the seekers again. And yeah, when I saw that I had a smile on my face as well. But god is Thundercracker overrrated.

Okay, huge rageboner rant here, because this is the end of the continuity I took the most seriously and I need to vent about this, because I\'m actually majoring in publishing and editing.
    Starscream: Carrying Optimus
    Skywarp: Carrying Arcee.

Why... Why does Barber do this to the end. What is the point of this? These fucking name tags have been a staple of Barber\'s for years now and yet somehow nobody in the editorial department has told him how distracting and out of place this makes the comic. It straight up takes anyone who is trying to take this comic seriously as a medium and shoves their face into a steaming pile of shit shaped in the phrase: \"HEY, HEY, YOU\'RE READING A COMIC BOOK\". It punishes you for trying to feel captured by the story. It is the absolute worst, pointless type of info-dump I think I\'ve ever seen in a mainstream comic in recent years. We don\'t need fucking visuals described to us in the comic. Comics are a visual medium. Use that shit.

This is the last issue of this continuity and we\'re still getting this pointless static filler. This is the least dynamic writing I\'ve ever seen in this continuity. This is the last issue of the most climactic continuity, but the fact that the apparent new head editor of IDW can\'t differentiate shit that should be dropped and shit that\'s integral to a story kind of makes me think this publisher is due to fail in producing anything with any semblence of subtley or nuance in its writing. Comics don\'t have to be this. There have been some fantastic comics over the years. That shot of Megatron\'s star on you-know-who\'s grave in LL told enough without beating you over the head with it. Why can\'t the main-run of this continuity do the same.

Lastly, Slide.

I don\'t care what people say about Slide being a manifestation of Optimus\' self-doubts. Anyone can do better at creating a character to fit this purpose than this. Most supporting characters in movies are created with their relation to the protagonist in mind. That doesn\'t mean they shouldn\'t be palpable or complex in their motivation. In fact, not making them palpable or complex ends up becoming a second-hand detriment to the main protagonist and their journey. Look at the way Slide keeps repeating the same mantra over and over again. Nobody would realistically talk like this, about this, under these circumstances, whatsoever. No one. It\'s not palpable, it\'s one-note, it\'s a shitty drawn out side-plot that Barber didn\'t know how to end.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe sit this issue out of you're going to make yourself so mad over something as inconsequential as the character tags

• Like Like x 11
  10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    So, she turns into...a slide?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Shut the FUCK UP, Slide!

• Like Like x 9
  12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marvel G1, Unicron has come and everyone from Galvatron to Grimlock puts grudges aside to unite and stop him.
    IDW, Unicron has come and Slide complains that if Optimus stops Unicron, he might become a greater evil... :D 
    Seriously, I doubt Optimus will start to gobble up planets, Slide.

Can't believe that the human who was apparently tasked to command Earth's military (at least I take it from Soundwave calling her general) cannot pass her friend's dog on to someone else to hold it when the WORLD IS ENDING.

And yeah, we needed a page devoted for a dog and a barely developed human character who has literally done nothing so far? (I think even Spike did more to affect the story... heck, where is he nowadays? He died off-screen?) In the penultimate apocalyptic issue?
    That'd be like, to again compare to a much better coming of Unicron in Marvel G1, if during all the chaos and apocalypse on Cybertron with characters we have known for years dying everywhere, we would cut to:
    -Earth, office of Donny Finkleberg.
    A whole page of Donny coming in, hanging up his coat, wistfully looking out of the window and thinking "Hmm, I wonder what my old friend Skids is doing right about now? Odd how all the Transformers just suddenly disappeared. Oh well, I still have to write my report to the army on RAAT's activities..."

Next page, cut back to Unicron destroying Emirate Xaaron/Primus.

Also the same issue (On the Edge of Extinction), Furman and Senior did not put in nametags. Not even for characters who have barely had lines before, like Quake or Sureshot. They kinda figured if you have been reading this comic for 75 issues now, you would know who is who.
    Especially for such big-name characters like Optimus and Arcee.

• Like Like x 1
  13. simpatico

simpatico HAVE SOME GODDAMN FAITH ARTHUR

This would be great.

• Like Like x 3
  14. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:

True

15. unknown456

unknown456 Not-So-New Bot On The Block

Y'know, I thought Barber and/or Slide resolved their issues well enough in OP 24. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut nope!

Now I'm finally in the stfu Slide category. Even's Pyra's slight against Prime in Unicron #1 was better executed than this.

Aside for that though, next Wednesday can't come soon enough!

• Like Like x 1
  16. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    I have the first 5 Unicron issues but still haven't read them yet.

Debating if I shouldn't and just sell them.

I mean, Barber's characters are so damn annoying. I wonder if him of his wife/BM acts like that or something.

FYI: All the negative ranting about this "Slide" character and Hasbro will end up "Windblading" it.

17. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Barely developed? She’s been in the comics for 4 1/2 years. Was head of the EDC, became ambassador to Cybertron on behalf of Earth, her father is a GJ Joe and she became Thundercrackers best friend and got a 3-4 page flashback explaining who she was back in RID how she was at ground zero in New York during All Hail Megatron which is what changed her life and got her to join the military to save lives.

Yup! Undeveloped character.

• Like Like x 4
  18. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He had tons of issues he could have used to devote to making Unicron an actually interesting villain... But he spent those basking in the "glory" of his fanfic-levels terrible plot about Shockwave's grand plan to destroy Cybertron so he can make a new one for no bloody reason other than ego, and him being a Bond villain telling his diabolical plans to everyone while probably he would have liked to stroke a white Ravage in his lap for the full Bloefeld effect.
    So no, it is quite too late for Unicron to be anything more than a giant mindless monster here.

19. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep them, sell them doesn’t matter you’ll just complain about the series like everything else transformers related like usual

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes, I can see how you might see Marissa as "barely developed" if you completely ignore all of her appearances to date... Also, that comparison to your hypothetical situation doesn't really work when Marissa isn't just by herself at her apartment or whatever, she's standing there with Soundwave, Trypticon's protoforms, and now several others who I'm pretty sure are going to be doing more this issue. You might as well complain about Blackrock and the Neo-Knights' in "Edge of Extinction."

Also Spike was just in the last issue, trying to fend off the Maximals in one of the fighter jets.

• Like Like x 4