Uncomfortable truths of Transformers collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SegaGenesis, Aug 19, 2010.

1. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't read all of the posts, but here's mine.

There is NEVER enough shelf space.

2. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Going on that, here's another one;

If you wanted all of your massive collection to be on display, you'd probably have to buy another house.

3. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm sure it's in this list somewhere, but complete collections are the exception.

Only been back into toy collecting for a few months and it started with 'well i just want leader classes'. Then it's 'well just a couple of the nicer deluxes'. Then it's 'ultimate optimus is so ugly, but i love the truck mode so much i must have it'.

Now i'm hitting every store I can, weekly, just to look for stuff that wasn't there only 7 days ago. Still haven't turned into a completionist, but I know the collection I want will never be complete.

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's telling how you got offended by something said before you were even a member on this board.

5. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Toys are way over priced (Don't get me wrong, I love tf figures, but u have to admit the prices are pretty crazy. We have to remember that toys are for kids also, but the only people who can afford them are adults.) I love mp tf toys, but I really hate that they cost so much. Just saying its mostly plastic it doesn't cost so much to make
    (sorry if im complaining, but I'd really like getting an mp starscream and megatron without saving up for 2 years)

Parts could make a figure 5x more valuable

My Htc Evo 3d is cheaper than a mp-10

Shattered glass repaints can make a figure with the same mold go for a fortune!
    ex rts rodimus-10
    sg rodimus- 300-500

6. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    It has been reissues MANY times by Bandai with full armor. It also has been given the Masterpiece treatment by Yamato with full armor.

If you want a show accurate MP figure for Skyfire, that is not impossible. Skyfire was never a legal issue, he was the solution to a legal issue.

7. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Be glad you don't live in one of the countries where a Deluxe costs $25.

8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    most of us are grown men who still play with toys.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    - that the live action movies have spawned tons of new fans, many of whom are 10-17 year old kids who unfortunately now overrun (and dumb down) forums like this on an hourly basis in between starting new threads about topics that already have 50+ identical threads already on the go.

- that the extreme Bay lovers can be every bit as bad, annoying, biased & ignorant as the extreme Bay haters can be.

- that certain hardcore fans REALLY take this stuff too seriously, and that Transformers and Transformers knowledge are clearly the only things they have going for them.

- that Bumblebee has become Transformer's Elmo and no amount of new figures of him will ever be enough for Hasbro.

- that KO and/or third party outfits are considered "companies" by certain fanboys and are talked about like they're somehow relevant or should be taken seriously.

- that there will always be "that guy" in the toy aisle wanting to spark up some nerd chat while instantly making you feel extraordinarily embarrassed to also be a TF collector.

- that many fans will like or dislike whatever Bay tells them to because, since he directed the movies of their favorite franchise, he is of course a demigod.

- that, sadly, the movie design aesthetic won't be going away anytime soon.

- that it's become cool to trash G1 and always point out its shortcomings even though over 25 years have passed... like it's some sort of revelation that the series had some bad writing and the toys can't compare to what's made today.

- that a lot of uber fans truly are of the mindset that if it's made and/or exists, we should all like it no matter how shitty the "it" might be.

- that people running around with Autobot & Decepticon logo shirts has sadly become as trendy and common as Ed Hardy.

- that a lot of fans constantly contradict themselves by reminding everyone how supposedly not G1 the movies are, yet still hope for or expect G1 characters and story arcs to happen from new movie to new movie.

- that many, many, many Bayformer fans instantly get defensive AND offensive whenever someone legitimately criticizes certain things about the movies that in no way resembles blind bashing.

- that movie reviews & critics are supposedly useless and irrelevant UNTIL something positive or glowing is said - THEN they conveniently matter.

- that no matter how undeniably successful the movies have been despite all their shortcomings, tons of movie haters still somehow think Hasbro and the film studios are going to start from scratch and not try to milk this multi-billion dollar franchise for all it's worth in its CURRENT form for as long as possible.

- that Beast Wars will never be forgotten, and sort of like G1, has become much better & cooler in hindsight than when it was current... and that G1 & BW fans will rarely ever see eye to eye.

- that it's apparently okay to announce & buy illegally made KO Transformers, to announce & buy transforming figures with not-so-clever alternate names that look EXACTLY like Transformers, and to post links to YouTube or download sites for Transformers shows like Animated & Prime... but it's a big no-no to even breathe a word about downloading the movies that are online in abundance because that's somehow "wrong".

- that Hasbro still can't get their act together when it comes to proper distribution (and replenishment) of new figures... or guarantee the QC like they used to.

- that there will ALWAYS be self professed know-it-all forum members that state their opinions about Hasbro sales & profits, character popularity, figure justifications, mold degradation status, kids' buying habits, etc. like they somehow have any idea at all what they're actually talking about... which 99.9% of the time they obviously don't.

Just a few off the top of my head :) 

10. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Gotta point! :) 

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee and Optimus Prime will always be everywhere

12. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    -There will always be a guy bashing 3rd parties/KOs

-There will always be a guy against the movies/Micheal Bay

-There will always be a guy who thinks he knows way more than other fans

-There will always be a guy who argues the other guys points

13. Sharpfinger

Sharpfinger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember seeing both openings here in Brazil (South America can be included as "audiences in America"? ;)  )
    That "UK" release, isn't it an "International" release?

14. darkunor

darkunor Banned

-There will always be a guy scoffing at and ridiculing the concept of mass shifting but yet praises the idea of alien, gigantic, sentient robotic beings from outerspace that in some fictions were given life by a magical and inexplicable rock that no one has a clue of how it came to be! Yes, to some individuals these robots defying the laws of physics is a travesty to mankind but yet their very exsistence makes logical sense as it is more believable. What a load of BS!

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I love you.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    1. It is impossible to get every single one of them because some never went beyond prototype stage, and the prototypes being sold are most of the time very limited in quantities. For example, how many people have the test shot of G1 Bumblebee?

2. You cannot take them with you. When you die, your collection will be left to loved ones or your estate.

17. chas_520000

chas_520000 Well-Known Member

how much is the target master for scourge going for now

18. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whenever you put off something you want until you have the money for it, you will never find it again.

After you buy a figure that was difficult to find, that figure starts peg/shelf-warming at every store you go to!

19. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

Thread won.

20. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Don't look at other Hasbo lines and wish Transformers could behave like them.

Star Wars reissues a lot of its figures and keeps important and popular molds in circulation. Hasbro will never do this for Transformers. Figures are not re-released.